Author Topic: Prisoners of War and foreign populations/officers  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Porjate (OP)

• Leading Rate
Prisoners of War and foreign populations/officers
« on: February 12, 2015, 10:45:22 PM »
After conquering an NPR's home system (Which was adjacent to my home system), I've been left with several thousand POW's and an occupied population, which even had two scientists still researching projects until I kicked them out and they disappeared.

Is there anything I can do with the POW's I captured? Ideally, integrating them into my empire as experienced crew members would be best as their empire is practically non-existent at this point, although just getting rid of them would be another option, although I don't see any option to release them or otherwise interact with them.

Another question is if there is a way to keep some of the racial characteristics of new crew members and officers from the occupied planet - as far as I can tell, officers don't have a listed race, and all new officers from the conquered world seem to be indoctrinated into my races culture (I was hoping for them to keep the naming scheme of the NPR, so that it'd be easier to differentiate between 'foreign' officers and officers of my own race). I thought about setting a secondary naming scheme for officers according to the ratio of graduates from my home world and the conquered world, but that would result in some of the graduates from my home world using the names, which would be fairly unusual considering neither of our species can survive on the others planet.

Lastly, is there anyway to capture the remaining officers of the NPR? The two scientists who were researching have just disappeared after I kicked them out of the project, and I thought that they'd end up as scientists under my officers list; considering they were essentially captured by my ground forces.

Offline Gyrfalcon

• Bug Moderators
  • Commander
  • G
Re: Prisoners of War and foreign populations/officers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 01:19:31 AM »
Speaking logically, there's very little chance you could ever have (or would ever WANT) a captured, alien crew and commanders to take positions in your military. There's too much chance that one of the engineers overloads a reactor on your brand new battleship in revenge for what you did to their planet, or that a captain stages a mutiny and lobs a full payload of missiles into Earth.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 02:08:19 AM »
Theres no way anybody in their right mind would want former enemy officers Leading that country's military after the occupation, or Put in charge of a military alliance of former enemies/allies in order to repel another nation , heaven forbid an enemy scientist is Put in charge of your missile program ,and surely you wouldn't reinstate the god-emperor of a fanatical dictatorship after their horrendously costly defeat.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 03:53:24 PM »
Theres no way anybody in their right mind would want former enemy officers Leading that country's military after the occupation, or Put in charge of a military alliance of former enemies/allies in order to repel another nation , heaven forbid an enemy scientist is Put in charge of your missile program ,and surely you wouldn't reinstate the god-emperor of a fanatical dictatorship after their horrendously costly defeat.

:)

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 04:22:02 PM »
Aah yeas, that whole real world clause which means crazy illogical smeg happens all the time.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 11:21:18 PM »
Fear of communism, etc.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 02:56:51 AM »
It would be nice as an option to use them in your empire.  Not that anyone did that after WWII with the #### scientists, public officials, and intel people.  So it would be soooo unlike real life.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 10:42:17 AM »

But thats human.
Its another thing to integrate officers of the same species, but entirely different to do this with some totally different in every way possible.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »
But thats human.
Its another thing to integrate officers of the same species, but entirely different to do this with some totally different in every way possible.
¨

Yes impossible to have different intelligent spieces working together like in Startrek, or Starwars, Stargate or basically any Sci-Fi Series or Movie that contain different species pretty much ::)

As long as you can communicate, why not? Would add alot of cool stories.

Offline Witty

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
As long as you can communicate, why not? Would add alot of cool stories.

I'd imagine that the time spent designing, coding, implementing and bug testing such a feature is probably the biggest factor  :)

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 08:19:56 PM »
I'd imagine that the time spent designing, coding, implementing and bug testing such a feature is probably the biggest factor  :)

Sigh, hate it when reality gets in the way of a good idea ;D

Offline Vordarian

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 09:41:41 PM »
Perhaps you should be able to build Forced Labour units from POWs?

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 05:27:17 PM »
Perhaps you should be able to build Forced Labour units from POWs?
Doesn't forced labor units use up population quantities in the hundreds of thousands? We don't get nearly enough POW's for forced labor units.