Author Topic: Empty Galaxy  (Read 2447 times)

Offline SteelChicken (OP)

• Lt. Commander
Empty Galaxy
« on: September 05, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »
Explored ~60 systems.    One guarded ruin, and nothing else.    No NPC's, no spoilers, nothing.   Yes, they are turned on.   I am using more or less default settings with the NPC rate bumped from 30 to 50%.    Is this normal? Or is this another start over? I seem to be spending a lot of time starting over.    My last heavily-time invested game I had a NPC that was a trading ally, and the game became unplayable because of constant same old neutral contact interrupts.     

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Empty Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:39:59 AM »
Yes, it's not uncommon.  The issue is that most worlds you discover will not be suitable for life (just because colony cost is 0 doesn't mean it's suitable) - the 50% is only applicable to that small percentage.

John

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »
You could always pick a world or two and SM yourself some NPRs in there.  You'd know where they are, but it'd be better than nuthin' . . .
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 08:55:03 AM »
Thanks for the tips.   It just seems odd that there aren't even any spoilers running around.    How can my Navy justify the extraordinary cost of refitting a 25+ year old fleet when there's no one around to use it on?    ;D

If I SM in a a NPR somewhere, do I need to leave them alone for a while so they can build up to be a significant challenge?  Any suggestions on how long to leave them alone for, how many jumps/sectors away to start them from me, etc? 

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
You can always generate a whole new system for the NPR- then you won't know where it links to (think dormant links.) Anyway, when you generate the NPR, their fleet and tech will be pre-built. I did this in my current game, and shortly after first contact, noted they had a lot of ships... and with some espionage, discovered they had anti-matter core engines(!) (Two tech levels above me, at least. Luckily they were friendly, as shortly after, the Invaders appeared.)

Anyway, be sure you give them enough RP that their tech will make them a challenge. No fun invading a planet where the indigenous population's throwing rocks back at your power armor.
Living up to my username. . .

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 09:26:44 AM »
If you SM a new system, will it be the next one you jump to no matter what?  Or does it get the random-number treatment?
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »
Random. You want connections, use SM mode to explore the jump points inside the system. Otherwise, the NPR will explore them for you. (Better hope one doesn't link directly to Sol... :) )

Offline madmarcus

• Petty Officer
  • m
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 10:39:47 AM »
Thanks for asking this question because I've been wondering the same thing. Only 15 systems explored but all I've found is 3 listening outposts and 4 robotic ships. I've been roleplaying that the random jump gates that have been found indicate a need for defense but that's hard to roleplay when you never find any enemies.

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 11:56:55 AM »
That's actually a fairly big number for so few systems.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 05:50:56 PM »
You can always delete your existing systems and re-explore.

Offline madmarcus

• Petty Officer
  • m
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 07:31:57 PM »
That's actually a fairly big number for so few systems.

My first ever game had alien ruins in my first explored system and a swarm in the second. From that and reading threads and AARs I figured most games had more.

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »
Some times you run into a lot of people in your galaxy.  I just started a new game, explored 8 systems; 3 have precursors and 1 has an NPC with thermal/EM readings almost as big as my homeworld, talk about a busy neighborhood.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 02:20:23 AM »
The boring AARs don't get posted or stop updating. Heh.

You can also add alien ruins in SM mode.

I'd dearly love the ability to manipulate spoilers, personally...

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 07:08:54 AM »
A lot of the AARs are also seeded with computer controlled races or player controlled races that are being controlled intentionally as enemies.  Steve did this in a few instances to make his fiction more interesting when random generation was giving him a dull hand.

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 08:19:49 AM »
Well its irrelevant now anyways, this particular game is now unplayable due to issues with certain Taskgroups causing unending errors when I select them.     Here's to hoping 5. 7 fixes a lot of these silly game-ending bugs.