Author Topic: New Player questions... Infrastructure exploit?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline jseah (OP)

• Captain
  • j
New Player questions... Infrastructure exploit?
« on: December 09, 2010, 02:59:12 PM »
Hi there, I'm a new Aurora player, started two days ago actually and used the tutorials/wiki/other people's posts to get my stuff working.   

Currently, I'm in my second year of the game and I seem to see strange behaviour after poking around a bit.   

Infrastructure is a trade good that Young Carrier Corporation is moving from Earth to Mars.   
Currently I'm in massive debt (-6000!) and am artificially boosting demand by getting my colony transport to ferry colonists from Earth set on loop.   

So, I see Young Carrier Corp.   has 4-5 idle freighters and would like to get them working for the trade tax.    Since I built the first 100 infrastructures on Mars, I figure it's fair game if I get them back, so I set my 4 freighters to move them back to Earth.    (48 infra.   per run)  The idle civilian freighters move them back to Mars.  .  .   but doesn't take from Earth's stockpile.   

I "accidentally" (in the spirit of experimentation) let my freighters do the third run with 48 as well.    This means I've moved 144 infrastructure from Mars to Earth.    Which checking with Earth gives correctly 144 infrastructure.   

So this infrastructure trade good is free?  Furthermore, my removal of civilian made and civilian transported infrastructure seems to make them mine?  
And then, since Young Carrier Corp.   has more freighters than I do, it can keep up with increasing demand by Mars's growing population and 4 freighters taking infrastructure away.  .  .   which gives me money so far.    Well, and Young Carrier Corp.   as well.   

What's the catch here?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: New Player questions... Infrastructure exploit?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 08:36:38 PM »
No catch - it's Working As Intended (if I understand correctly what you described).

Basically, that wonderful engine of productivity, the civilian economy, is creating new infrastructure and shipping it to Mars so people can live there.  Something that's a little exploity is that you can move it around after it's been shipped to Mars (i.e. you gain property rights to it), but Steve is aware of this and (as far as I know) has no intention of changing it.

You'll see the same sort of thing happen with Civie asteroid mining complexes - they'll magically appear as civie construction.

John