Author Topic: Civilian Shipping questions  (Read 1334 times)

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Civilian Shipping questions
« on: November 07, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »
Hi there,

are there known bugs with the civilian shipping system? I experience loss of cargo every now and then but can't figure out the circumstances when it happens.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Civilian Shipping questions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 03:46:49 PM »
Probably when a civilian ship gets scrapped due to replacement when loaded with things.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline baconholic

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • b
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »
Hi there,

are there known bugs with the civilian shipping system? I experience loss of cargo every now and then but can't figure out the circumstances when it happens.

Not exactly a bug, but civilian ships still trigger sensor calculations, which can severely bog down late game performance.

Offline chokuto

• Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 09:21:33 PM »
On a slightly related note, what is the best way to get rid of civilian shipping if you don't have the designer password?

I'm aware there used to be a tractor beam and delete trick but not sure if it is still available or how to do it.
The other option I've heard of is blowing them up with missiles, which I have not yet looked into. 

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 11:24:35 PM »
Hi there,

Could it be Fractional cargo?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 05:07:41 AM »
Hi there,

A ship on a mission should not be scrapped.  Ships are scrapped only when they are idle and without cargo, I'm not 100% sure of the "without cargo" but I believe that it is so.  If you have a transfer contract the items should not just "get lost."  Back to the scrapped with cargo...I'm fairly sure I saw a mass scrapping of colony ships but only after they had dropped off their colonists then the companies scrapped them for new versions.  I've seen clear indication of scrapping of ships that have recently dropped off cargo (as I can see the lack of a ship name in the list of completed jobs).  It is true; however, that I don't monitor the tranfer of civillian goods so the odd load of trade goods or infrastructure might vanish without me noticing.  I've never seen one of my contracted installations vanish.

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
Yes, sometimes it is fractional cargo that is lost, but also complete units. Some of the civilian colonist ships are just standing idle there but are filled with colonists; they don't care if there is a colony which is set to receiving colonists.