Author Topic: Yet another noob, and also some questions.  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Gilferedir (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
Yet another noob, and also some questions.
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:21:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

Just started playing Aurora, and have to say I'm quite enjoying myself.    I've managed to answer all of my questions so far with the Wiki and here on the forums (probably more time learning than playing so far, I think I've made it through 1 year in one of my games so far).    Anyways, there are a few things that have been bugging me a bit, and I was hoping to find some answers here.   

Question 1: Venus, is it worth mining in the beginning or is it just there for noobs like myself to drool over?

Question 2: Is there any way to display the float values of 'structures' or possibly force my freight ships to transport whole numbers? For example say I have 5 mass drivers on Earth, and want to move 1 to Mars, while my freighter only carries .  4 mass drivers at a time.    This would result in having to transport 1.  2 mass drivers to Mars leaving me with only 3.  8 left on Earth and from what I can tell only 4 functioning mass drivers between them, and some spare parts.    This is fairly nit-picky but I hate seeing the integer value of say how many mass drivers I have on Earth, with no way of knowing if there is one sitting there in pieces. 

That's about it for now, since I'm still just working on exploring Sol and getting some resource flow. 

Edit: I realized that mines do show the float value under population locations.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:35:14 AM by Gilferedir »

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Yet another noob, and also some questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:17:06 AM »
My english is too far from understandable..

So am say only: welcome:)

Another player sure help u shortly.

See ya.

Do NOT left Terra without mass driver,only that:)

Offline Gilferedir (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:43:49 AM »
Yeah, I read that.   Unless I want to bombard my colonists with shiny packets of minerals.   :D

Offline Gilferedir (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 03:52:02 AM »
All is well!  For whatever reason I didn't notice it before, but I just discovered the wonders of Maximum Amount To Load.   So I think all my problems are taken care of . . .  for now.

Offline Ziusudra

• Lt. Commander
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:58:55 AM »
Question 1: Venus, is it worth mining in the beginning or is it just there for noobs like myself to drool over?

If you use automated mines and mass drivers, it's no different then mining an asteroid.

Question 2: Is there any way to display the float values of 'structures' or possibly force my freight ships to transport whole numbers?

If you go into SM mode and go to the F2 screen there is a SM Mods button that will open a window that shows fractions for everything. On the Task Groups window below where you give the pickup order there is a Maximum Amount to Load box which may accept fractions. (ninja'd)

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 04:12:12 AM »
Don't drool til you see the accessibility index.  If you have millions of resources there, but the accessibility is ~.1, its not really worth mining.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 07:30:56 AM »
Guys..in "God" mode on..this game become very boring..u can build up--hundreds thousands ships.--> are funny? no.-.

Thriller mode On are addicted.

So never use "SM" mode to modify anything..

Earth Empire  - Ganimede Base

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »
<snip>Question 2: Is there any way to display the float values of 'structures' or possibly force my freight ships to transport whole numbers? For example say I have 5 mass drivers on Earth, and want to move 1 to Mars, while my freighter only carries .  4 mass drivers at a time.    This would result in having to transport 1.  2 mass drivers to Mars leaving me with only 3.  8 left on Earth and from what I can tell only 4 functioning mass drivers between them, and some spare parts.    This is fairly nit-picky but I hate seeing the integer value of say how many mass drivers I have on Earth, with no way of knowing if there is one sitting there in pieces. <snip>

This looks like your not using cargo holds in groups of 5.  Most installation require 5 holds to transport intact.  There is a list (in the FAQ I think) that will tell you how many holds are required per installation. 
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 10:23:42 AM »
This looks like your not using cargo holds in groups of 5.  Most installation require 5 holds to transport intact.  There is a list (in the FAQ I think) that will tell you how many holds are required per installation. 

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Installations

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Gilferedir (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, every little tidbit of info helps.   I also wasn't aware that these forums were so active, so that's another plus.   

Quote from: Thiosk link=topic=3891.  msg37664#msg37664 date=1312362732
Don't drool til you see the accessibility index.    If you have millions of resources there, but the accessibility is ~.  1, its not really worth mining. 

I was starting to realize that after going through a ton of Academy posts that had to do with mining.    And yes, Venus always seemed to have 10's of millions of resources but would usually come sporting .  1 accessibility.    Though to a noob, the juicy amount of resources still makes me salivate, despite not ever being able to get to them. 

Quote from: Charlie Beeler link=topic=3891.  msg37670#msg37670 date=1312374872
This looks like your not using cargo holds in groups of 5.    Most installation require 5 holds to transport intact.    There is a list (in the FAQ I think) that will tell you how many holds are required per installation.   

I wasn't aware of this, I haven't gotten to know the sizes of everything yet.    I'll keep the 5 cargo hold thing in mind from now on. 
I kept going with 6, because for whatever reason 30,000tonnes at a time seemed like a good round number. 

Quote from: waresky link=topic=3891.  msg37668#msg37668 date=1312374656
Guys.  .  in "God" mode on.  .  this game become very boring.  .  u can build up--hundreds thousands ships.  --> are funny? no.  -. 

Thriller mode On are addicted. 

So never use "SM" mode to modify anything.  . 

Earth Empire  - Ganimede Base

I've never been much of a "cheat mode" kind of person, so I have tried to stick to only using SM for allocating starting research and OB (I think that's the proper acronym). 

Quote from: Erik Luken link=topic=3891.  msg37676#msg37676 date=1312385022
hxxp: aurorawiki.  pentarch.  org/index.  php?title=Installations

Yes, I try to keep a browser window open with the forums and wiki up at all times while I play.    But there is still so much information I've yet to absorb or discover. 

Quote from: Ziusudra link=topic=3891.  msg37663#msg37663 date=1312361935
If you use automated mines and mass drivers, it's no different then mining an asteroid. 

If you go into SM mode and go to the F2 screen there is a SM Mods button that will open a window that shows fractions for everything.   On the Task Groups window below where you give the pickup order there is a Maximum Amount to Load box which may accept fractions.   (ninja'd)

I think I have the different ways of mining down (pretty much all I have been doing so far), I was just curious about planets like Venus with tons of resources but crap accessibility and if it was even worth mining them.   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:44:03 PM by Gilferedir »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »
I think I have the different ways of mining down (pretty much all I have been doing so far), I was just curious about planets like Venus with tons of resources but crap accessibility and if it was even worth mining them.   

I'd say if you have a couple of needed resources with decent availabilty, go for it.

My Venus has the following -
Neutronium 14,357,140 (.1)
Corbomite 25,232,140 (.6)
Tritanium 24,627,800 (.7)
Boronide 443,183 (.3)
Mercassium 10,288,440 (.1)
Vendarite 8,438,793 (.2)
Sorium 15,002,300 (.1)
Corundium 11,079,580 (.1)
Gallicite 824,101 (.1)

The Corbomite and Tritanium pretty much assures me that I'll not run short of those anytime soon.

Offline Gilferedir (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 05:55:58 PM »
Awww, your Venus is better than mine! (And that my friends, is how a witty gamer t-shirt is conceived)

Venus
Duranium 68,924,130  Acc: 0. 4
Mercassium 5,860,273  Acc: 0. 1
Sorium 4,746,821  Acc: 0. 1
Gallicite 26,462,790  Acc: 0. 1

But guess who won't be running out of Duranium any time soon? 

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 07:05:07 PM »
That is decent Duranium, form a geology team and have them work on an asteroid or two for a while until they 'level up' a bit and then move them to Venus and you might be able to get more total minerals or a better access rating.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »
WELL, if we're showing off minerals... ;)

Adjacent to sol