Author Topic: Colony Names  (Read 4927 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Colony Names
« on: September 04, 2015, 09:51:24 AM »
With so many nations and so many colonies, colony naming is taxing my inspiration :)

Any suggestions for colony names or system names are very welcome

Offline Britich

• Petty Officer
  • B
Re: Colony Names
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »
Brits name colonies after cities or towns of the colonists origins, so I guess the UK and maybe Canada can name their Colonies after their cities.

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 10:16:52 AM »
Germany could use states ad regions for the naming.

Secessionist Bayern System anyone?

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »
Historically the European cities/colonies were often named 'New ###' after the founding groups place of origin.  This was pretty consistent throughout European colonization.  Hence, New York, New Amsterdam, New Berlin and so on throughout North America.  Due to colonial history and ties I could foresee UK, France, Germany, Canada, Australia and possibly Brazil all loosely adopting this naming structure.  State and territory and county names were often derivatives of historical leaders from those same countries like Virginia, George, Elizabeth, Henry. 

Many places in the internal North America, US and Canada, are Native American naming for places.  Once coastal colonization was done settlers started using English-ified versions of Natives names for places. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:20:18 AM by xeryon »

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 11:32:33 AM »
The Japanese Empire would probably create new names using on'yomi readings of kanji characters. There's precedent, and generally it's whatever they feel best describes a place. I'm not a fluent speaker, and it's entirely possible my names would make one fall out of their chair laughing, but I can take a stab at some general ones:

Shinsekai (New World)
Ginriku (Golden Land)
Jikoku (Next/Second Country)
Ihenkyo (Great Frontier)
Kotou (Solitary Island)
Daikoku (Great/large country)
Engan (Distant Shore)
Seihon (Stars' Origin, an alteration of Japan's name for itself, The Sun's Origin)

You could use "Shin" in front of places like "Edo" to create "New Edo" except that most places got their name like this in the first place; "Edo" means "Bay Entrance" which doesn't really work for a new planet.

Offline Mel Vixen

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 12:01:22 PM »
Germany could use states ad regions for the naming.

Secessionist Bayern System anyone?

Well one could also use (German) Philophs and such for systemnames. Karl-Marx-Stadt springs to mind for a real life example. I would prefer personalities from the Sciences like, Gauß, Gutenberg, Adam Riese. Freedomfighters too, like Carl von Ossietzky, Clara Zetkin, the Scholl siblings. A good bet would be german Nobel price winners.

For regions you could go with Silesia/Schlesien. Lower and upper Lusitia / Ober und Niederlausitz, Schwaben etc.

For Arctic worlds: Neuschwabenland (which is a place in antartica) and Franz-Josef-land (island near the north pole).

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:08:09 PM by Heph »
"Share and enjoy, journey to life with a plastic boy, or girl by your side, let your pal be your guide.  And when it brakes down or starts to annoy or grinds as it moves and gives you no joy cause its has eaten your hat and or had . . . "

- Damaged robot found on Sirius singing a flat 5th out of t

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »
Since this is space certain marquee systems could also be named for first astronauts or various fathers/mothers of the space programs of the given nationality.

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 01:42:06 PM »
Brazilian and Argentine colonies would probably be named after Catholic saints, in Portuguese and Spanish respectively.  There have been a lot of new saints since the colonization of the Americas, so they wouldn't all have to be named San Francisco, San Juan, San Jose, etc...

Offline Prapor

• Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 04:34:47 PM »
My vision of the names of the Russian colonies:
1) Names of major Russian cities with prefixes Novo- or Novaya/Novyy e.  g.   Novaya Moskva, Novokazan', Novyy Ekatirenburg
2) Names of major Russian rivers e.  g.   Volga, Pechora.  .  . 
3) Mythical places from Russia legends and tales, or placed in Russia - Lukomor'e, Belovod'e, Ostrov Buyan (Buyan Island), Iryy, Alatyr-Kamen', Giperboreya (for cold world)
4) Names on features of the planets - Golubaya Zhemchuzhina (Blue Pearl) for ocean world, Velikaya Step' (Great Steppe) or Prostor (Amplitude) for steppe world, Peklo (Hell-Fire) for hot world. 
5) Names depending on the purpose of the colony - Kuznetsk or Novozavodsk for heavy industry world, Shahtersk for mining colony, Torzhok for trading or financial colony. 

if I have another idea, I'll add them.   Also I can expand any paragraph from this list. 

Offline canshow

• Petty Officer
  • c
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 12:06:28 AM »
Some colony names... (+1 to who can figure out where I got them from)

Albion
Baía
Divine Wind
Eros
Ganges
Hijra
Moctezuma
Moskva
Lusitania
Pacifica
Lumana'i
Path
Rheims
Rov
Shakespeare
Sorelledolce
Trondheim
Zanzibar

Offline hubgbf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • h
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 03:05:33 AM »
About french names, there is also the "new" system: nouvelle orleans, nouveau mexique (nouvelle and nouveau are the equivalent of new. You have to use "nouvelle" if the next word is female gender, and "nouveau" if the word is male gender.

Depending on the french government, you can name systems with the ruling head of state. For example, louisiana was named for the current french king, louis XIV. If the french government is autocratic, it is a must have. If the french government is a democracy, you can also use old and famous president. For example you can use the name Gaule, which is an old world describing the french country in the roman empire, and is similar to De Gaulle (cf WWII). Or "nouvelle Gaule".

There is in france some cultural minority like corses (people who inhabit corsica), or "breton", in this case one can imagine a colony named corsica, or breizh, which is the name of the french region "bretagne" in the "breton" langage. You can use euskadi for the minority called "basque", there is also some old name from middle age, like navarre or labourd.

Hope it helps,
Hubert

Edit: some minor correction

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 05:54:44 AM »
To be a bit contrary, I'd suggest mythology for the British, since they've already named one Avalon. Not really sure what to suggest as a list other than things like Camelot, Ladyslake, and so on.

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 06:40:09 AM »
Your Japan seems militaristic and more similar to the Empire of Japan than modern Japan.  There may be a fictional resurgence of state sponsored religion with State Shinto.  This was the case during World War II.  I would then expect religious overtones to accompany colony names.  I recommend looking at the Shinto creation myth and the original names for the islands of Japan.  The Shinto creation myth is the Kuniumi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Shinto

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuniumi

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 08:35:45 AM »
To be a bit contrary, I'd suggest mythology for the British, since they've already named one Avalon. Not really sure what to suggest as a list other than things like Camelot, Ladyslake, and so on.

All the current colony/system names for the British are related to the Arthur myth in some way (Avalon, Pendragon, Merlin, Tintagel, Caerleon, Gawain, Bedivere)

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 11:56:55 AM »
I give each populated system a theme based on which nation discovered it early in my history. Colonies in that system keep the same theme

Mountains:
Monticello
Denali
Blanc
El Condor

Lakes and rivers:
Chimborazo
Aconcagua
Euphrates
Erie

Tolkienalia:
Tolkien
Moria
Balin
Sauron
Smaug
Gothmog

Sea gods:
Posideon
Tiamat
Matsu

My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound