Author Topic: Official v6.40 Bugs Reporting Thread  (Read 94721 times)

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
Re: Official v6.40 Bugs Reporting Thread
« Reply #390 on: March 10, 2015, 01:08:26 PM »
Ok did anyone encoutered bug like the one i described in my previous post ??

Because its been two weeks since i last played Aurora and im starting to go raving mad.
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #391 on: March 14, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »
Oh for frakk sake ...

EVERY version of Aurora just stopped working for me ... I had two sepearate folders - none of them works, everytime i try to bring up some sort of window ( economics, system view , race view ) i get some frakking error 372 and smeg about outdated version of TABCTL32.ocx or comdlg32.ocx ..
I downloaded both portable zip and exe, and NOTHING frakkING WORKS ...
Im so frakking mad i will destroy something if i cant get my beloved Aurora back ....

All the error numbers, such as Error 372, are Microsoft error codes rather than from Aurora. I did a quick google on the problem and found this link:

http://www.bricksntiles.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=129&sid=62b0ba0063f542fef70da4c9e5be5193

It's for a different game but it might help solve your problem. There are lots of other links as well. It seems to be a common issue in a variety of games.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #392 on: March 14, 2015, 01:08:25 PM »
Thanks Steve but i finally figured it out on my own.

For anyone curious :

1. Download both Tabctl32.ocx and comdlg32.ocx for free from one of many dll sites.
2. In my case i had to put them NOT into Windows/system32 folder like everyone stated but into Windows/SysWOW64 ( because i have Win 8 64 bit ) and voila Aurora works again :D (for good i hope ).
Footnote : Tabctl32.ocx bug crashed the whole game but comdlg appeared only when trying to open Race Window and DID NOT CRASH the game.

Praise Odin and Steve Walmsley :)  ;D
Im back babyyy :D
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #393 on: March 19, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »
Advanced lasers still bugged :'(.

I hadn't noticed this issue with advanced lasers.  From a little tweeking of my prototyping workbook it looks like Steve is referencing the damage field instead of the focal size field.
IanD

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #394 on: March 21, 2015, 08:40:22 AM »
The displayed range for fighters in class design under ordinance/fighters has incorrect decimal place.

The tanker actually has a range of 29.3 Billion Kilometers, not 293,000 million kilometres as displayed.  Also under the column title it says (b) kilometers, not million kilometers as listed.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2015, 11:09:43 AM »
I am having a little trouble with thee summary screen. I am not able to expand the lists of other star systems. When I click the + button to expand the list it takes me to the system view (f9). Also when I try to swap the order by colony type everything on the list just dissipates.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #396 on: March 21, 2015, 01:39:04 PM »
I am having a little trouble with thee summary screen. I am not able to expand the lists of other star systems. When I click the + button to expand the list it takes me to the system view (f9). Also when I try to swap the order by colony type everything on the list just dissipates.

Is the window on a screen to the left of your main monitor? The Treeview control in VB6 can't handle negative coordinates :)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #397 on: March 21, 2015, 06:54:30 PM »
Are you only using one monitor?
What steve meant is that if you have a dual monitor setup the leftmost monitor's coordinates are negative values which makes VB6 go crazy. Perhaps you're using only one screen but our desktop is still setup for 2, and is considering the monitor being used to be secondary?
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #398 on: April 09, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »
Sorry if this was already mentioned, I didn't see it while searching.

While recovering ruins, one one of my archaeological dig planets my construction brigades recovered a pile of Jump Construction Module - 90's. I went to move them with a Cargo Task Force, and I guess due to the sheer size of them they were only able to load 2.9 of them ( even with 2.9 it was reporting -130000 / 850000 cargo space available). I unloaded them on my main research planet and started disassembling them while the cargo task force went back for another load. The total components remaining as I disassembled them went down to 0x, and then it let me keep disassembling them into negative quantities (-1x, -2x, -3x, etc), giving me research points each time.

Offline ThunderRush

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #399 on: April 15, 2015, 10:08:37 AM »
A few years into the new game I get this error every few turns:

Error in CreateGameLog
Error 76 was created by Aurora
Path not found

Followed by a million of these:

Error in CreateGameLog
Error 76 was created by Aurora
Object Required

I used the launcher utility to install.    I assume that the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Aurora is not suitable for log creation? Or where do they get saved? Both exectuables are run as administrator.   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:10:48 AM by ThunderRush »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #400 on: April 15, 2015, 10:13:37 AM »
A few years into the new game I get this error every few turns:

Followed by a million of these:

I used the launcher utility to install.    I assume that the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Aurora is not suitable for log creation? Or where do they get saved? Both exectuables are run as administrator.

It is suggested to not install to Program Files as later versions of Windows really get perturbed when you attempt to write there. Also make sure you have a Logs folder off the root of the drive you've installed to, in this case C:\Logs.

Offline ThunderRush

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #401 on: April 15, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »
The folder already existed, it was a hardlink appearently.  That led to nowhere?
Creating Logs in the aurora main folder did the trick however.  Thanks.

e:
Sometimes when I create a new tech I get an error (Don't have it saved), and when opening the ship builder as well. The tech-name is empty and this comes up:

Error in DisplayTechCategory
Error 94...
Invalid use of Null
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:36:53 AM by ThunderRush »

Offline ChubbyPitbull

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #402 on: April 23, 2015, 09:30:51 AM »
The folder already existed, it was a hardlink appearently.  That led to nowhere?
Creating Logs in the aurora main folder did the trick however.  Thanks.

e:
Sometimes when I create a new tech I get an error (Don't have it saved), and when opening the ship builder as well. The tech-name is empty and this comes up:

I believe this happens when the name of your new module is too long. When this happens to me (usually with a long company name and then model name), I obsolete the empty tech name so it stops appearing in the list, and that at least stops the Invalid use of null error. I'm not sure what the exact length limit is on module names before the error will occur.

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #403 on: April 24, 2015, 09:58:22 PM »
Error in UpdateGameEvents

Error 3709 was generated by DAO.Recordset
The seaarch key was not found in any record.

I am not seeing any pattern with this message.

Offline ThunderRush

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #404 on: April 25, 2015, 09:02:40 AM »
I believe this happens when the name of your new module is too long. When this happens to me (usually with a long company name and then model name), I obsolete the empty tech name so it stops appearing in the list, and that at least stops the Invalid use of null error. I'm not sure what the exact length limit is on module names before the error will occur.

Ah okay. I use the random name generator, so that probably frakks me over. Some sort of visual information of how long it could be, or maybe a change of the datatype for that would be usefull.