Author Topic: Destroying missles  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Five (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
Destroying missles
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:48:17 PM »
Well in my current game i accidently set my point defense range wrong, so when missles were launched at me in the Sol system pretty much every AMM ship i had fired. Well i didn't notice it was all my ships in other task groups around the system also firing as i was to focused on the close action, and i let this go on for a while...way to long. Since i have noticed it i want to destroy the missles that won't reach the targets so i can get my effective launchers to fire their PD missles at them...3 per incoming missle.

I know i can go into the Combat overview section and go to the missles tab and destroy a missle at a time, but that will take a long time with thousands of missles. and i don't want to destroy all missles as that will kill my good AMM and my offensive missles. Since i can't shift and click multiple missles and can't get it to order by ship to make it easier going one by one is there a way i can destroy all from certain ships or select more then one?

Thanks for the help

-Five

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Destroying missles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »
Well in my current game i accidently set my point defense range wrong, so when missles were launched at me in the Sol system pretty much every AMM ship i had fired. Well i didn't notice it was all my ships in other task groups around the system also firing as i was to focused on the close action, and i let this go on for a while...way to long. Since i have noticed it i want to destroy the missles that won't reach the targets so i can get my effective launchers to fire their PD missles at them...3 per incoming missle.

I know i can go into the Combat overview section and go to the missles tab and destroy a missle at a time, but that will take a long time with thousands of missles. and i don't want to destroy all missles as that will kill my good AMM and my offensive missles. Since i can't shift and click multiple missles and can't get it to order by ship to make it easier going one by one is there a way i can destroy all from certain ships or select more then one?

Thanks for the help

-Five

I don't think there is an easy way to do this. If you have Access I can explain how to go into the database and do this but that wouldn't be straightforward either.

Steve

Offline Five (OP)

• F
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
Well thank you anyways. i was able to shoot enough down that my ships could eat the rest without dieing...lol

-Five

Offline Giggle

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:56:16 AM »
Hi,

Thank to your question, I realized that I am managing my AMM wrong.

Today, I take each one of my anti-missile frigate and make a manual assign on an incoming missile salvo and I try to remember the number of the salvo in order to assign my next frigate on another salvo (I am champion of overkill).

I noticed the presence of the PD distance in the battle control window, but never managed to make it work. 
I select 1 anti-missile per missile, then I put a distance corresponding to the average effective range of my AMM and then. . .  when I come back to the ship, my setting is gone and fire control is not firing, even in auto-fire mode, because no target is assigned to fire control. 

Any idea of what I am doing wrong ?
Many thanks in advance.

Offline Five (OP)

• F
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 06:59:56 AM »
I will tell you how i do it when i get off work in a few hours, unless someone beats me. and it actually works great once i got my range entered right...one to many 0's...lol

-Five

Offline Five (OP)

• F
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:25:29 AM »
ok, so here is what i do for PD setup...there could be other/better ways but this works for me.

go into combat overview. select the task group and then the pd ship in it that you want to set up. select your fire control and then assign the number of launchers to it that you want....i try for 3 launchers per fire control when i design ships so i assign them that way. next i select the fire control i want to put on PD duty(may be all but have to do one at a time for first ship). with that one selected i select number of missles i want per missile, for lower tech i go for 3 per but do what you want, then i type in the range...for my current missile it is 3600 which equals 36m km(typed in 36000 in beginning...got me good..lol). once that is typed in hit 'set mode'. at bottom of screen should show fire control one and then the launchers set to it and also its setting...something like

1 msl fc Missile Fire Control FC237-R1 (40%) #1 (3v1 PD Mode 3600):   No Target Assignment
Size 1 Missile Launcher #1 - Patriot (Ready To Fire)
Size 1 Missile Launcher #2 - Patriot (Ready To Fire)
Size 1 Missile Launcher #3 - Patriot (Ready To Fire)

and now when ever a missle you detect comes with in that range you will automatically launch 3 missles at it.

then do the same thing for all your other FC's for the ship. once happy with it use the awesome buttons at the side in the 'copy assign' button section. and choose to make all same ships in TG or system or for your race setup the same...very awesome buttons there.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

-Five
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:28:26 AM by Five »

Offline Five (OP)

• F
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »
Also you can use it in a very similar way to do lasers and what not.

also i use the windo to set up all my ships on FC and launchers/turrets...PD or not, very handy window instead of doing one ship at a time like i was before.

-Five

Offline Giggle

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:19:33 AM »
Thanks for your advice.

I will try to redo my AMM settings as soon as I come back home.
but I think I already managed to do all what you said since I had the same setting

1 msl fc Missile Fire Control FC237-R1 (40%) #1 (3v1 PD Mode 3600):   No Target Assignment
Size 1 Missile Launcher #1 - Patriot (Ready To Fire)

or something very similar.

My problem is that this setting doesn't stay : if i check another ship and come back on the first one, it has disapeared.

I wonder if the fact that my AMM are much closer range than yours is relevant or not. 
In fact, in my campaign, I have absolutly no scientist in sensor and fire control, so I completly suck at long range sensing of incoming missiles, so I decided to have AMM salvo launched at "close" range (2 millions km) with my manual assign method.

And the results are very poor : in fact, my gauss gun turrets (which don't need any target assignments nore any kind of setting to auto-fire at incoming missiles) do all the anti-missile defense job for me.

Offline Five (OP)

• F
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »
wierd it doesn't stay, range should'taffect it as i have seen as i set mine way wrong once. not sure what is the deal...sorry.

-Five

Offline Giggle

• Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 11:45:51 AM »
No problem, I will try to work on it next time I encounter some kind of agressive aliens.
The last one are nothing but star dust now  :'( , so I cannot test at the moment.
I will post my ships designs too, there may be a flaw there that I didn't notice.

Anyway, thanks for your time and advices.