Author Topic: Usage of Gauss Cannons  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Xkill (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Usage of Gauss Cannons
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:50:21 PM »
So, I've been wondering how effective Gauss-mounted Fighters would be against moderate-high to low level enemies (Like the Precursors or the Swarm or even NPRs, but not the Invaders).

I have already designed and built a fleet based on this strategy but I still have to find some enemies, and would like some advice.

So, any thoughts?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Usage of Gauss Cannons
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
It works, but just because they are fighters don't expect to use them differently from any beam ship. If you charge missile ships without enough mass you will die uselessly every time, espsecially against AMM spammers.

treat them like detachable beam mounts or beam ships themselves and you will do alright.

I would suggest fast designs with unturreted gauss weapons.  You can do slower designs with turreted gauss, but gauss is so short ranged that speed is all important. 

Offline Xkill (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »

I would suggest fast designs with unturreted gauss weapons.  You can do slower designs with turreted gauss, but gauss is so short ranged that speed is all important. 

That is exactly how I designed them, so I believe I'm good to go.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
Until you hit very high tech levels, gauss cannons are inferior to railguns unturreted. Or unless you abuse 1000% fighter combat bonus commanders with tiny gauss cannons I guess. Or maybe if you just can't give 3-4 HS over to guns.

Massed beam fighters tend to work okay against most stuff. Just be sure you have enough.