Author Topic: Alien Contact!  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
Alien Contact!
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »
Ok, I still had the game in SM mode and entered an unexplored WP. The event log mentioned that Deep Survey Beta had transited, and that one or more
Alien fleets were present in the system. Now, since this was marked 'SM only', I assume with SM mode off, you wouldn't have gotten the warning. Now,
I'm not going to send unarmed survey ships into a system with an alien presence, especially since they could be anywhere in the system. :) OK, Arm Chair Admirals, how would you proceed from here? Do I send in the military and have the survey fleet do their
job under Home Fleet's watchful Eye? Or maybe send in the Military only, and head straight for the planets? Should I have active sensors on and shields
up, or just wait until actual contact on passives? Should I leave a ship to watchdog the warp point?

Eric

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
Re: Alien Contact!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:50:36 PM »
Well, since you are acting on SM information to inform your probe, why not go whole hog and just see what is there?

Seriously, what is the basis for summoning the Home Fleet?  Imagine that kind of wild goose chase actually being used as the precursor of a coup, getting much of the Fleet out of communications range of the Home System so it can be purged of elements disloyal to a faction.  Then they come back with a story of mythical alien invaders, blah blah, head to the homeworld for 'repairs', but are actually fully functional, overthrow the ruling body.

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 07:30:50 PM »
Paranoia, really. I don't know how Aurora does it, but every other 4X game I played was either 'Be Strong...or Be Dead.' :) Heh.

Eric

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »
Hmmm. Maybe I should do what Steve would have done with his Rigellians. I know there is something there, but the Imperium doesn't.
Maybe this is a good time to roleplay and survey as I normally would.

Eric

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:52:12 PM »
GoodLord! Would you look at the SPEED this bugger is clocking?! I gave orders to haul ass outa there, but no way I'm gonna outrun this bugger. It's gotta
be a precursor as I doubt any NPRs would be this advanced yet. I think Home Fleet is staying on the proper side of the warp point for now. I think this
guy will likely clock my ships without working up a sweat. :)

Eric

Offline Cassaralla

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 08:11:45 AM »
I've found the first NPR in my game.  I continued to survey as normal and only sent a military scout after I'd lost a geo and grav survey scout in the system.  Fortunately for me, my NPR seemed to be a full tech level behind me as they are now firmly conquered and under occupation.  Took a fair few more nukes than I expected though, so I'm busy moving them to a nearby moon while the dust and radiation settle.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »
Each of my survey squadrons has a scout ship attached, when they probe a warp point the scout is sent in to do a fly by of all Oxygen/nitrogen world looking for signs of inhabitation, so far only one had found anything and it turned out he was as fast as their missiles

Offline alexwildstar

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 03:03:57 AM »
Well i been dinking around learing various parts of the game     While I was doing that two npr sship decided to  orbit of my home planet lol how do you establish commo with them

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 07:26:22 AM »
Quote from: "alexwildstar"
Well i been dinking around learing various parts of the game     While I was doing that two npr sship decided to  orbit of my home planet lol how do you establish commo with them

In this version you don't.  Eventually you'll be able to attempt deplomatic contact.  But for now all you can do go to war.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 08:59:32 AM »
Actually you can establish contact...I did that in my first game.  I had a ship of mine orbiting a NPR colony and went to the screen listing the NPR details and clicked on establish contact.  I can't off the top of my head recall which screen or button you need to call up/click though.

The trouble is I don't know what good it will do you as they will still be hostile and you can't do any diplomacy but regardless you can establish contact and learn each others language.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 09:48:03 AM »
Quote from: "Paul M"
Actually you can establish contact...I did that in my first game.  I had a ship of mine orbiting a NPR colony and went to the screen listing the NPR details and clicked on establish contact.  I can't off the top of my head recall which screen or button you need to call up/click though.

The trouble is I don't know what good it will do you as they will still be hostile and you can't do any diplomacy but regardless you can establish contact and learn each others language.

If you go to the system map, it's the icon with an alien head.

If you don't know their language, you get a severe penalty on intel picked up from interrogations of captured aliens.

John

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 10:15:46 AM »
Well, good one for Steve there.  

"gaahugahma aah ugaha mouahfala!"  "Same to you alien scum, in spades even."  "ffaofuifj eofaeeoajfa lsliod o!"  "Damned aliens, ah heck I'm off shift now; your turn to ignore the gibberish, you would almost think they are starting to make sense after enough time listening to them."

The frustrating bit was that it took a year to establish contact...I think between us we had a -20 communications penalty if not a bit more so there was lots of one step forward, 2 steps back and a shuffle to the side going on before the break through happened.  Then about 3 months later the alien fleet found a way to my home world and well that was bad, very bad, very very bad.  Real diplomacy will be very nice to see.

Offline alexwildstar

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »
I will look for the establish contact button but i never could find it under the alien head but then again i having a tough time figuring out how to do most things but slowly getting there.  

So any idea of why they havent nuked Earth yet.

Offline alexwildstar

• Chief Petty Officer
  • a
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 11:55:48 AM »
oh and i forgot to ask where the save game button is

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 12:39:39 PM »
The game saves on exit.  

Those may not be warships.  If they are geosurvey they just doing thier job.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley