Author Topic: PDC, Colonization and Precursos questions  (Read 1886 times)

Offline gregor40 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • g
PDC, Colonization and Precursos questions
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »
1) What is the benefit of keeping the ground units in the PDC? What is the rple of PDC apart from beeing a platform for planetary defence

2) How to colonize a planet? Is it enough to drop the colonists from the colony ship?

3) How to find Precursors setlements? Is geo survey of planets enough? I've surveyd 5 systems allready and I haven't found anything. Bad luck?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: PDC, Colonization and Precursos questions
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:54:08 PM »
Quote from: "gregor40"
1) What is the benefit of keeping the ground units in the PDC? What is the rple of PDC apart from beeing a platform for planetary defence

2) How to colonize a planet? Is it enough to drop the colonists from the colony ship?

3) How to find Precursors setlements? Is geo survey of planets enough? I've surveyd 5 systems allready and I haven't found anything. Bad luck?

1. ground units inside a PDC are protected from orbital bombardment

2. go to the system summary screen, select the planet, click 'add colony' button that is along the bottom of that screen. Just, pay attention to the colony cost, you will generally need to drop infrastructure on it so the colonists can survive.

3. precursors are random, so yeah, its just luck :)

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 07:41:28 AM »

Ive Survey 93 Systems..and found ONLY 2 precursors..but for a Big Ass lucky one of them are a Deserted Abandoned INTACT City.
More than 1500 piece of items scattered on planetary surface:)
My engineer are at work from 21 YEARS to recover all..and not ive finishet yet...

Another consideration: ive a Freighter Class-400.000 tons..and r not ENOUGH for cargo all :))

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 04:09:43 PM »
Quote from: "waresky"

Ive Survey 93 Systems..and found ONLY 2 precursors..but for a Big Ass lucky one of them are a Deserted Abandoned INTACT City.
More than 1500 piece of items scattered on planetary surface:)
My engineer are at work from 21 YEARS to recover all..and not ive finishet yet...

Another consideration: ive a Freighter Class-400.000 tons..and r not ENOUGH for cargo all :)
Welchbloke

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 05:34:33 PM »
6 Engineers Division in more than 20 years have exploited 1500-Ruins sites..awesome results on recovery stations and many items with 2 rare-items.1 Weapon (30cm Extreme X-Ray laser) and 1 strange "Compressed Fuel system"

Offline WHCnelson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 06:46:50 AM »
I just started my campaign and I am trying to drop colonists on Mars...    But, I am getting a Loading Problem Error message...   It says:  "1st Colony Group failed to load colonists Barrayar.  Any additional orders will be on hold until the problem is resoved.     In the F9 window I had selected Mars and said add colony...  The F9 also says for Mars that the Colony cost is N/A...  Does this mean that I have to drop infastructure off first before adding colonists?    Help....

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 07:18:51 AM »
If the colonisation cost for Mars is N/A it means it cannot be colonised , probably the Gravity is too low for your race. You can put automated mines , sensors etc there just no population

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:23:07 AM »
Quote from: "WHCnelson"
I just started my campaign and I am trying to drop colonists on Mars...    But, I am getting a Loading Problem Error message...   It says:  "1st Colony Group failed to load colonists Barrayar.  Any additional orders will be on hold until the problem is resoved.     In the F9 window I had selected Mars and said add colony...  The F9 also says for Mars that the Colony cost is N/A...  Does this mean that I have to drop infastructure off first before adding colonists?    Help....
The first thing to check is that the colony fleet isn't already carrying colonists and that is why it can't load. If you have tried to set up a cycle order to Mars and the colonists couldn't unload, then when you return to Earth there won't be any room for more colonists - this is just a guess though :). What is Barrayar? Is that the name of a planet or a species?

N/A means the planet can't be colonised by actual colonists, although you could place sensors, automated mines, troops, PDCs. etc. Mars has a gravity of 0.38 so the reason is probably that your 'human' species in this game has a minimum gravity tolerance higher than 0.38G. Species tolerance can be set at game start and will influence how many habitable or partly habitable planets you are likely to find. Each race you encounter or create will have different tolerances for gravity, oxygen content, temperature and maximum pressure, with the midpoint of each tolerance being equal to the environment of the planet on which they were created. You can check those tolerances on the top right of the F9 window. Bear in mind that if you have different species in your Empire, perhaps because you conquered an NPR, each species will view each planet differently. What might be ideal for one could be totally uninhabitable for the other. You can choose to view the F9 window or the Galactic Map through the eyes of different species by changing the species dropdown in the top right of the system view (F9) and the top left of the Galactic Map (F11)

Steve

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 02:13:19 PM »
What is Barrayar?

That would be the world of Miles Vorkosigan from the stories by Lois McMaster Bujold. If for some bazaar reason you have never heard of her work, REPENT and go read them, NOW!

:) I love her books. It's real space opera, not hard sci-fi, but she creates believable characters in great settings.

--Mav

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 06:49:49 AM »
Quote from: "mavikfelna"
What is Barrayar?

That would be the world of Miles Vorkosigan from the stories by Lois McMaster Bujold. If for some bazaar reason you have never heard of her work, REPENT and go read them, NOW!

:)

Steve