Author Topic: A question about PDCs  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Trueknight (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
A question about PDCs
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:06:20 AM »
During my first game a lot of question are popping into my head. A lot of them get an answer through trial and error process (quite a realistic thing, sometimes BTW), and many others are just forgotten a few minutes later, but right now one is obsessing me.

What's use to put ground units into PDCs? Probably it's a bigger question involving ground combat, something that's lightyears (litterally) away in my game, but at moment i'm creating a few ground defences, and i'd like to know if i need right now to put those shiny and costly barracks into PDCs.

Thanks

TK

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: A question about PDCs
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Se ho capito bene vuoi mettere Unità Militari nelle PDC: ti servono le Barrack.1 tiene 1 Divisione intera.

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:15:56 AM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Se ho capito bene vuoi mettere Unità Militari nelle PDC: ti servono le Barrack.1 tiene 1 Divisione intera.

Damn, my xenoarchaeologists have not been able to translate this alien language yet.   :P

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:19:08 AM »
Barely understandable:D..

"if am well understand who ur questioning,u will put into PDC's ur Militar Units..yes?..so u need a Barrack for accomplish task.."

Asd...:P

Offline Trueknight (OP)

• T
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »
Barely understandable:D..

"if am well understand who ur questioning,u will put into PDC's ur Militar Units..yes?..so u need a Barrack for accomplish task.."

Asd...:D

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:54:07 AM »
Quote from: "Trueknight"
During my first game a lot of question are popping into my head. A lot of them get an answer through trial and error process (quite a realistic thing, sometimes BTW), and many others are just forgotten a few minutes later, but right now one is obsessing me.

What's use to put ground units into PDCs? Probably it's a bigger question involving ground combat, something that's lightyears (litterally) away in my game, but at moment i'm creating a few ground defences, and i'd like to know if i need right now to put those shiny and costly barracks into PDCs.
There are three main reasons to put ground units in PDCs. One, to protect the ground units from orbital bombardment. Two, to defend the PDC against boarding assault. Three, because at the moment you can only train ground units in PDCs, although this will change when I get around it.

Steve

Offline Trueknight (OP)

• T
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
There are three main reasons to put ground units in PDCs. One, to protect the ground units from orbital bombardment. Two, to defend the PDC against boarding assault. Three, because at the moment you can only train ground units in PDCs, although this will change when I get around it.
Steve

1 and 3 are pretty much clear...but n°2....boarding assault...you mean that one could disembark troops (board) during a space combat in orbit to capture a PDC on the planet and using it against defending space forces????

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Steve

1 and 3 are pretty much clear...but n°2....boarding assault...you mean that one could disembark troops (board) during a space combat in orbit to capture a PDC on the planet and using it against defending space forces????
Yes :)

I probably should add some type of refit to convert a captured ship before you can fire its weapons but at the moment as soon as you capture a ship it is on your side. However, there are a few mitigating factores. The boarding forces would have to use breaching charges to get through the PDC's armour, which would probably take several minutes, and then defeat any defenders including the crew. The battle in space might well be over before that happened. Even if it was captured, there might be some collateral damage from the boarding action that knocked out key systems.

Steve

Offline Trueknight (OP)

• T
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 01:32:11 PM »
Great!!

I know I'm way off-topic, but i'm in a hurry now, and a i need a quick answer to continue my fiction...:)

If i create a TG, where one ship has only powerfull sensors, and the others only has Missiles (and fire control), can the FFG fire even if the target is spotted by the scout? Does ships in a TG share their sensor data?

THX

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 01:35:04 PM »
Great!!

I know I'm way off-topic, but i'm in a hurry now, and a i need a quick answer to continue my fiction...:)

If i create a TG, where one ship has only powerfull sensors, and the others only has Missiles (and fire control), can the FFG fire even if the target is spotted by the scout? Does ships in a TG share their sensor data?
All the ships in your Empire share their sensor data. You only need the fire control to target the contact. Who detects the contact doesn't matter.

Steve

Offline Trueknight (OP)

• T
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 02:20:21 PM »
Excellent...I like cooperation!!

i'm glad i don't have to rewrite it...AND that i haven't designed my little fleet based on an idea that can't be realized in game! :)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 03:04:48 PM »
Excellent...I like cooperation!!

i'm glad i don't have to rewrite it...AND that i haven't designed my little fleet based on an idea that can't be realized in game! :)

Just be careful though, the NPRs might only see the ship with the active sensor since it's emissions are more powerful. Ergo that is what they will shoot at!