Author Topic: Engines  (Read 1762 times)

Offline x2yzh9 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • x
Engines
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:17:44 PM »
Well, I'm starting to grasp the game but as hard as i try, i can't seem to find a engine research project in my research list. I keep on researching, but after 4 years i havn't run across a engine research project that i'll need for the colonization of mars.

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Engines
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:23:37 PM »
Quote from: "x2yzh9"
Well, I'm starting to grasp the game but as hard as i try, i can't seem to find a engine research project in my research list. I keep on researching, but after 4 years i havn't run across a engine research project that i'll need for the colonization of mars.

The answer to this question depends on how much technology your race had at the start of the game.  I will answer as if they had no engine tech at all, which is the likely situation.

First Step: You must research reactor technology first.  This will usually be Pebble Bed Reactor Technology, found on the Power and Propulsion selection on the Research tab.

Second Step: Once you have researched the reactor technology, then you can research the associated engine technology.  For Pebble Bed Reactor Technology, this is Nuclear Pulse Engine Technology.  

Third Step: Once you have researched the engine tech, then you can develop an actual engine.  To do this you hit the "Design" button along the bottom edge of the Population and Production screen.  This will bring up the system design screen.  Select "Engines".  This will allow you to specify the details of your engine.  At the start of the game you may not have very many choices.  The important thing to know at this point is that you will want a civilian engine type for your freighters and colony ships, and a military engine for your warships.  Once you are happy with your engine design you can change the name in the window below the words "Proposed System PArameters", then hit "Create" to create the design.  

Fourth (and Last) Step: You now need to return to the research tab on the economic window.  Once there you must select your engine design, which will appear on the Power and Propulsion research project list, and select a research team, then hit "Create" to create a research project.  

Once the research project is done, the resulting engine system will appear on your class design screen to be added to new designs.  

Kurt

Offline x2yzh9 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • x
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:13:17 PM »
Yea.. Anyway, my colony ship designs won't work, as in when i go to the shipyards to get them retooled, they don't come up as a option. The cruisers work, why won't colony ships?

Offline x2yzh9 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • x
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:16:34 PM »
It won't lemme retool my shipyards to the colony ships. It'll retool the cruisers, and the colony ship design is correct, no errors in it. Why does the cruiser work and not the colony ship?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:16:09 PM »
It won't lemme retool my shipyards to the colony ships. It'll retool the cruisers, and the colony ship design is correct, no errors in it. Why does the cruiser work and not the colony ship?

Are you trying to build the colony ship in a military or civilian yard?

Offline jmelzer

• Leading Rate
  • j
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:18:32 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"

Also, does the shipyard have enough capacity to build the colony ship?

Offline x2yzh9 (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • x
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:19:37 PM »

It was a military shipyard-Though, you don't start with commercial shipyards, apparently.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 05:47:50 AM »

It was a military shipyard-Though, you don't start with commercial shipyards, apparently.
You start with random shipyards so it sounds like you were unlucky enough to start without a commercial shipyard. I suggest building one soon, or if you are just learning how to play at the moment you can go into SM Mode and can give yourself a commercial shipyard on the Manage Shipyard tab. You can build commercial designs in miltary shipyards if the military shipyard has enough capacity

EDIT: I have added some code to v4.8 to prevent the situation of having only one type of SY at game start (unless you only have 1 SY)

Steve

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:51:05 AM »

You MAY start with all Commercial or all Military or (much more likely) a combination of the two.  I believe that the number of shipyards is related to your starting population, so if you have a small pop (under 500 m) you may only have a few SY complexes and so are much more likely to have all of 1 type.  In my last start I went for a big pop (2500m) and had (from memory) around 12-15 shipyard complexes - someof them quite large (88,000 tonnes for one commercial yard).

You CAN change the attributes of shipyards in SM mode Theres a button marked "SM SY Mode"  on the manage Shipyards tab, assuming of course you enter SM Mode before opening the Economics screen, where you can add new 1000 tonne shipyards and change the capacity, type and number of slips on existing shipyards.

I strongly suspect that your problem is that you just dont have a yard big enough for the colony ship - you CAN build civilian units in Naval yards if the size is right and the refit cost fits within 20% of the cost of the assigned class. for example I have a 10000 Naval yard which is set up to build my jump cruiser as its assigned class

Code: [Select]
Swordmaster class Jump Cruiser    10000 tons     830 Crew     2322 BP      TCS 200  TH 360  EM 0
3600 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 5-41     Shields 0-0     Sensors 110/110/0/0     Damage Control Rating 4     PPV 12
Annual Failure Rate: 195%    IFR: 2.7%    Maintenance Capacity 595 MSP    Max Repair 400 MSP
Flag Bridge    Magazine 246    

J10000(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 10000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
MPD Shipshifter E4.8 (10)    Power 72    Fuel Use 48%    Signature 36    Armour 0    Exp 3%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 93.8 billion km   (301 days at full power)

100mm MLS (6)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 10
Buoy Delivery System (1)    Missile Size 24    Rate of Fire 18000
MFC-PD03 (1)     Range 2.5m km    Resolution 1
Dart AMM Mk1 (174)  Speed: 21,100 km/s   End: 2.4m    Range: 3m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 183 / 109 / 54
DRone (3)  Speed: 4,000 km/s   End: 937.5m    Range: 225.1m km   WH: 0    Size: 24    TH: 13 / 8 / 4

ASR-D10 (1)     GPS 280     Range 2.8m km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH10-110 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 110     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  110m km
EM Detection Sensor EM10-110 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 110     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  110m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

but it will also build my small freighter

Code: [Select]
Merchant class Freighter    9000 tons     109 Crew     352.8 BP      TCS 180  TH 360  EM 0
2000 km/s     Armour 3-38     Shields 0-0     Sensors 11/11/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maintenance Capacity 25 MSP    Max Repair 45 MSP
Cargo 5000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5    

MPD-CIV E0.48 (2)    Power 180    Fuel Use 4.8%    Signature 180    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 130,000 Litres    Range 541.7 billion km   (3134 days at full power)

ASR-S01 (1)     GPS 2100     Range 21.0m km    Resolution 75
Thermal Sensor TH1-11 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  11m km
EM Detection Sensor EM1-11 (70%) (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  11m km

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes

I create minmum size designs of Freighters, colony ships & Luxury Transports as very often the standard 5-Hold ships are too big for the commercial lines to build -  to say nothing of the large designs!

I must admit I was a bit surprised when I noticed this, but I dont know the details of the refit cost calculation so I assume that its correct. It would be helpful if there was a report you could run that would identify all the refit classes avaliable to each "prime" class, but this may be a little difficult for Steve to set up.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 06:07:06 AM »
Quote from: "ZimRathbone"
I must admit I was a bit surprised when I noticed this, but I dont know the details of the refit cost calculation so I assume that its correct.
You can build any class in the same yard if the cost to refit the primary class to the second design would cost less than 20% of the primary class total cost. I think this is a freak result because you have an expensive warship and a very cheap freighter of similar size. 20% of the warship cost is actually greater than the entire build cost of the freighter :)

It would be helpful if there was a report you could run that would identify all the refit classes avaliable to each "prime" class, but this may be a little difficult for Steve to set up.
At the moment you can check the refit costs from all existing classes to any prime class, and from any prime class to any other prime class but that still leaves a gap. Possibly an option on the class window might be possible. Leave that one with me.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:36:02 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
It would be helpful if there was a report you could run that would identify all the refit classes avaliable to each "prime" class, but this may be a little difficult for Steve to set up.
At the moment you can check the refit costs from all existing classes to any prime class, and from any prime class to any other prime class but that still leaves a gap. Possibly an option on the class window might be possible. Leave that one with me.
On the Class window for v4.8 there is a list of all classes that you could build if you retooled a shipyard for the currently selected class.

Steve

Offline Elmo

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 07:38:23 AM »
On the Class window for v4.8 ...

Steve

Just curious, but do you have a rough guess when v4.8 will be ready?  Thanks.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 07:51:19 AM »
Quote from: "Elmo"
On the Class window for v4.8 ...
Just curious, but do you have a rough guess when v4.8 will be ready?  Thanks.
That really depends if I stick with what I have or start adding some of the recent interesting suggestions :). At the moment testing is well underway and I am ready to start my usual pre-release trawl through the bugs thread. With writing the tutorial I haven't been able to setup a new campaign but I did hit on a timesaver for testing. I created a game with three NPRs, left the inactive Terrans as the default race and hit automated 5-day turns. Eight years in so far without me doing anything except fix the occasional bug that pops up. It is a much better way of testing from a time perpective. So assuming everything goes OK, I would guess maybe about a week.

Steve

Offline Elmo

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »
...So assuming everything goes OK, I would guess maybe about a week.

Steve

Thanks for the update.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:41:34 AM »
On the Class window for v4.8 there is a list of all classes that you could build if you retooled a shipyard for the currently selected class.

Great!!  This is something I've been hoping for for a while....

John