Author Topic: Commonwealth Map - October 2046  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Commonwealth Map - October 2046
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:05:42 AM »
Here is the Commonwealth galactic map from October 1st 2046, based on human environmental tolerances The red circles indicate systems without a gravitational survey. The pale green circles indicate populated systems. The numbers under the system names show the required survey points for gravitational surveys while the percentages to the lower right of the systems show how many of the system bodies have been surveyed. The ship symbols in the upper right show the presence of Commonwealth ships and the symbols in the lower left denote shipyards. Blue icons within the systems show worlds with a colony cost lower than 2. The cyan icons show worlds with colony costs from 2 to 2.9.

There are about twenty more systems below those shown on this view but none are significant in terms of habitable planets or recent events.

Click on the map to see it full size

[attachment=0:2h0x0uns]Commonwealth2046.GIF[/attachment:2h0x0uns]

Steve

Offline cjblack

• Petty Officer
Re: Commonwealth Map - October 2046
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:07:43 PM »
It looks like a tier of systems was cut off the bottom of the map.

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »
Thanks for adding the maps, I've been scribling maps on scraps as I've been reading but it just never seemed right.  This helps, being able to see the systems and  jump routes you are talking about.  Incredible story and the problems your people are haveing(fuel, ordinance) make me feel better.  I was worried that it was just my empire, but it seems to be a more common problem.
Mark

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:09:26 PM »
Indeed.  I'm loving the problems, as a couple of years ago I mentioned that the limiting factor in my empires always seemed to be population (granted, my starting pops were rarely above 600 million).  The response was a general round of "How strange, that's never happened to me.  I wonder what makes your campaigns so different?"  The short answer is 'less than a billion people and a lot (or at least a high proportion) of Research Facilities.'

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »
Quote from: "cjblack"
It looks like a tier of systems was cut off the bottom of the map.
That was deliberate. I was trying to keep the map size reasonable and there was nothing of interest in those twenty systems, although I guess there might be in the future. Next time I do a map update I will include them.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 10:22:05 AM »
Quote from: "Sotak246"
Thanks for adding the maps, I've been scribling maps on scraps as I've been reading but it just never seemed right.  This helps, being able to see the systems and  jump routes you are talking about.  Incredible story and the problems your people are haveing(fuel, ordinance) make me feel better.  I was worried that it was just my empire, but it seems to be a more common problem.
Mark
Shortages are fairly common in Aurora :). It's challenging to manage to keep everything going, which is intentional.  I wanted to create a situation where economies didn't simply get larger without any effort (the rich get richer syndrome common to many 4x games). It's possible to crash a good-sized economy, or suffer economic problems due to a war, and then have to manage your way out of those economic difficulties.

Steve