Author Topic: Attacks with passive sensors  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Arwyn (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Attacks with passive sensors
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:34:01 AM »
So, I have been playing around with thermal sensor mines and missiles. I know that the current coding immediately identifies the race owning the mine that just got tripped, but it would be pretty interesting if passively tripped attacks did not necessarily do so.

Nothing is more annoying that having a race you don't necessarily want to pick a fight with (neutral) sailing hordes of scout and survey ships through your home system. A "plausible deniability" weapon would be handy. :)

Or in systems with multiple ships present, it would be.... handy... to have an option of sneaking a shot in against another ship. Say, two NPR's sniffing each other out in a system with active sensors and then *poof* missiles attack. Nope, wasn't us Terran's, we were just watching, sensors aren't even on..... :D

Just a thought, and probably a nightmare to code, but from a diplomacy and RP standpoint, it has some potentials, for both PC and NPR races.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
Re: Attacks with passive sensors
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
I see the appeal. One thing you can do, in the meantime, is go ahead and blast them-- then use SM mode to reset the diplomacy value to make it as if the attack never occurred?

I tend not to make friends with aliens.

Offline luarvic

• Leading Rate
  • l
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »
Quote from: Arwyn link=topic=4619. msg46226#msg46226 date=1328596441
neutral sailing hordes of ships blasted by minefield in my home system
I think everything went just fine, i mean if its not your Ally, he should not go in your home system, right?

Offline Arwyn (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 02:59:50 PM »
I think everything went just fine, i mean if its not your Ally, he should not go in your home system, right?

Yes, but it would be nice to blow away intruding ships without getting the negative diplomatic hit for it. :)