Author Topic: Question about fuel rigs  (Read 1545 times)

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
Question about fuel rigs
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »
I'm wondering if this is a bug or not.
I built a fuel rig, and ordered it to dump 90% of it's fuel, before sending it off to a gas giant.
However, it did not unload to have 10% left, instead, it unloaded until it had only 1% fuel left.

Are fuel harvesters designed to be built with only 10% fuel, so that my dump 90% order brought it down to 1%, or is this a bug?

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Re: Question about fuel rigs
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »
All TANKERS are codeing for First Flight with 10% fuel onboard.
Give the Ordert to REFUEL at colony..or send it at nearest orbital Harvester on a agas giant then go ahead with normal orders.

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »
Hehe. Makes sense. My Sorium harvester is also designated as a tanker. I managed to get it enough fuel to continue it's way to the gas giant with the help of my gravsurvey ships.

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »
Heh. Another question.
I set the conditional order: "Fuel tanks full, unload fuel at colony and move to Sorium Gas Giant"

It moved to the nearest colony, and unloaded it's tanks, but it is not moving back to a Sorium Gas Giant.
Do I need to establish a colony an the gas giant for that?

Offline MattyD

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »
I left the harvester TG at the gas giant and made a tanker TG

I then cycle ordered the tanker to

Unload 90% fuel at colony: Titan
Refuel at Target Fleet: Jupiter Fuel Harvester.

The tanker waits until it is full before leaving, which annoyingly sends an error message that its orders cannot be carried out, but once its full, it moves away nicely.
My Newbie AAR

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 11:51:56 PM »
This does not work for me. The order 'refuel from target fleet: harvester base' is deleted after the message 'cannot complete orders, not enough fuel'.
The tanker does not wait until it's full :(
It just grabs as much fuel as there is available, and proceeds to drop it off at the designated point.
If I cycle the orders, this will eventually result in the tanker running out of fuel while transporting it, because it keeps dropping off 90% of it's fuel, but not gaining enough at the fuel base to compensate.

I tried some different orders: I set the conditional order: if fuel tanks full, unload 90% fuel at colony within 4 jumps, combined with the cycled order: refuel from target fleet: fuel base, with an order delay of 1 month (to prevent my increments getting cut short all the time from the cannot complete orders message spam).
This worked swell for a turn. Unfortunatly, the game does not remember order delay setting when cycling moves, so after one 1-month increment I was back to getting an interrupt message every 2 hour increment.

Now I just give my tankers the command to refuel from the bases manually every month, combined with the 'fuel tanks full >> unload 90%' conditional order.
For now it's doable, I only have 2 fuel bases and 2 tankers, but I can see this becoming a major PITA when I will have more bases and tankers running, if I have to keep doing this manually.

Really now, how can I set up a set of repeating / conditional orders so that I do not have to look at my fuel bases / tankers manually every month?

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »
Your fuel harvesters are full after a month?
I normally send a few tankers every year or so.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »
I've never had my harvesters run out of fuel. Though I tend to create a colony/fuel dump in the system they are operating in, so they head there instead of anyplace outside the system.

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »
Nah my fuel harvesters are not full after a month. they take a year (somewhat less, if their officer's mining bonus counts) to fill.
Still, I'd like to be able to automatize the process of fuel hauling. I've only got 3 fuel harvester bases so far, but planning on explanding, and making *lots* more.
It would be a drag to have to order 50 tankers to refuel from 50 different fuel bases separatly every year.

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 04:23:43 PM »
I know what I'll do.
I'll just build x fuel harvester bases.
Then I'll divide 360 days by x.
Create a colony somewhere around 360/x days travel time for the fuel runner, and order it to visit each fuel base in turn, and drop it off at that colony.
(my fuel runner can hold the same amount of fuel that my fuel harvesters harvest in a year (360 days)).
Then I'll build another fuel runner that can hold exactly enough fuel to keep making trips from the drop-off colony to the place where I actually want the fuel uninterrupted.