Author Topic: Can someone tell me...  (Read 981 times)

Offline Meridian (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
Can someone tell me...
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:37:43 AM »
about Active Sensors.  I know what they do but when it comes to resolution and range ( and pretty much every other variable to do with them) I don't have a clue. I have read Steve's description but I find that too complex for me to comprehend. Does anyone know a good way of remembering the functions of Active Sensor variables or could offer a simple guide to them.

(PS, I know I ask alot on this forum but I really want to enjoy the game but I am held back by my lack of intelligence.  :oops: )

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Can someone tell me...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:01:01 AM »
Range:
The maximum distance at which a ship can be detected. If you have a range of 50 million kilometers, and your target is 51 million kilometers away, you won't see him. If he's 49 million kilometers away you will. (Unless your resolution is too high, see below.)
Resolution*50 is the minimum mass a contact has to have before it's picked up by the sensor. Smaller ships will show up, but not at the range specified by the design.
If you have a resolution 20 sensor, you'll be able to pick up anything with a mass of 1000 tons or higher on your sensors with maximum efficiency, but you won't see anything smaller until they're far closer to your ship.

EM tech and grav sensor strength just increase the efficiency of your design, and you should generally use the best you've got available.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Maybe I should pay more attention at maths.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 04:51:02 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Can someone tell me...
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »
Except for you typo.

Resolution 20 sensors will pick up any ship of 1000 tons or larger at maximum range.