Author Topic: NPR Ship Classes  (Read 2833 times)

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
NPR Ship Classes
« on: December 23, 2015, 02:31:18 AM »
When setting up my new game I couldn't help noticing that the NPRs generate more ship classes that they use. NPRs in my last game seemed loath to use any tech they did not start out with. So what happens if I delete the classes not used?

Do they:-

A) Only build the classes they have remaining in the F5 tab?

B) Build new classes of ships using the latest technology?

C) Build new classes but still using old (game start) tech?

D) None of the above.

Obviously I am hoping for B but can anyone enlighten me?

Regards
Ian
IanD

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: NPR Ship Classes
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:48:59 AM »
When setting up my new game I couldn't help noticing that the NPRs generate more ship classes that they use. NPRs in my last game seemed loath to use any tech they did not start out with. So what happens if I delete the classes not used?

Do they:-

A) Only build the classes they have remaining in the F5 tab?

B) Build new classes of ships using the latest technology?

C) Build new classes but still using old (game start) tech?

D) None of the above.

Obviously I am hoping for B but can anyone enlighten me?

Regards
Ian

NPRs generate a set of classes at start and may build any of them at any time. As technology improves there are certain techs that will trigger redesigns (new engines for examples) and any class affected by that tech will be replaced by a newer design for future ships.

Offline IanD (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 04:43:42 AM »
NPRs generate a set of classes at start and may build any of them at any time. As technology improves there are certain techs that will trigger redesigns (new engines for examples) and any class affected by that tech will be replaced by a newer design for future ships.

Unfortunately in 6.43 that didn't seem to happen consistently. I knew the Earth spawned NPRs had Magneto-plasma engine tech but they were still using Ion engines as was an NPR I ran into early. In fact if I look at the Chinese for example they are still using Ion engines. The design below was built in June 2075, game date is September 2079, game started in 2025! The other Earth based NPR is researching Magnetic Confinement Fusion Drive and the player race has completed the first of the anti-matter drives.

Code: [Select]
Grim Reaper class Heavy Cruiser 19500 tons     313 Crew     3589.3 BP      TCS 390  TH 1080  EM 0
2769 km/s     Armour 4-64     Shields 0-0     Sensors 6/12/0/0     Damage Control 8     PPV 132
Annual Failure Rate: 1628%    IFR: 22.6%    Maintenance Capacity 920 MSP
Spare Berths 6   

108 EP Ion Drive (10)    Power 108    Fuel Use 72.8%    Armour 0    Exp 10%
Fuel Capacity 1 750 000 Litres    Range 22.2 billion km   (92 days at full power)

CIWS-80 (2x4)    Range 1000 km     TS: 8000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
0cm C6 Soft X-ray Laser (66)    Range 0km     TS: 12500 km/s     Power 0-6     RM 6    ROF 0        0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Fire Control S02 192-8000 (2)    Max Range: 384 000 km   TS: 8000 km/s     97 95 92 90 87 84 82 79 77 74
Tokamak Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 (50)     Total Power Output 400     Armour 0    Exp 5%

Thermal Sensor TH1-6 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Signature 1000: 6m km
Active Search Sensor MR180-R20 (1)     GPS 5760     Range 180.3m km     Resolution 20
Active Search Sensor MR360-R80 (1)     GPS 23040     Range 360.6m km     Resolution 80
EM Detection Sensor EM2-12 (1)     Sensitivity 12     Detect Strength 1000: 12m km

ECCM-3 (1)         ECM 30

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

When I examine their economy I find the NPRs are all in deficit (Indians -2642 balance +107 income, Chinese -3687 balance +456 income). The Indians managed to complete research into Internal Confinement Fusion drives and build it into new designs the Chinese did not. However both NPRs managed to build new ships. There does appear to be a disconnect somewhere.

Ian
IanD

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 05:15:54 AM »
You forgot to account for one variable. 
China are cursed.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline sneer

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 07:41:01 AM »
lack of technology upgrade for NPR ship designs  was something I noticed under 6.4 as well

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 08:11:52 AM »
I don't really remember from my last campaign if this was happening. But if it a bug of some sort then perhaps it should be notified to Steve? So that he can check the code or something...

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »
If one NPR is building ships with advanced engines but the other isn't, that suggests the code does work but something stops that code executing in some cases. I'll look into it.

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »
You forgot to account for one variable. 
China are cursed.

That's not a variable.
It's a constant.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
That's not a variable.
It's a constant.
The general effect is the same, but it manifests variably.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 02:44:39 AM »
The general effect is the same, but it manifests variably.
And previously, you found a body g spot on wikipidea, keep them coming ;)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 03:24:30 AM »
And previously, you found a body g spot on wikipidea, keep them coming ;)
What can I say, as a totally legitimate scientist I have great interest in g forces and all aspects of their physics.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 09:32:36 PM »
Notice g forces can most reliably be examined on perfect bodies, and while our best results stem some impressive binaries, it is often remarked that the alternating attraction makes it difficult to keep the overwrought instruments focused.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 11:13:59 PM »
Notice g forces can most reliably be examined on perfect bodies, and while our best results stem some impressive binaries, it is often remarked that the alternating attraction makes it difficult to keep the overwrought instruments focused.
I was so confused untill I remembered the context.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 09:25:30 AM »
This is fantastic!