Author Topic: The Valkyrie II Rescue Fighter  (Read 2265 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
The Valkyrie II Rescue Fighter
« on: April 21, 2019, 07:54:26 PM »
Valkyrie II-Class Rescue Fighter:
---------------------------------------

Code: [Select]
Valkyrie II-Class Rescue Figther    500 tons     7 Crew     78 BP      TCS 10  TH 48  EM 0
4800 km/s     Armour 2-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0.5
Maint Life 3.65 Years     MSP 10    AFR 20%    IFR 0.3%    1YR 1    5YR 17    Max Repair 10 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.5 months    Spare Berths 5   
Cryogenic Berths 200    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5   

Valkyrie II Magneto-Plasma Drive (2)    Power 24    Fuel Use 23.87%    Signature 24    Exp 7%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres    Range 30.2 billion km   (72 days at full power)

Valkyrie Gauss Cannon (1x2)    Range 20,000km     TS: 25000 km/s     Accuracy Modifier 8%     RM 2    ROF 5        1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Valkyrie Beam FCS Unit (1)    Max Range: 24,000 km   TS: 8000 km/s     58 17 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Valkyrie Short Range Sensor (1)     GPS 420     Range 4.6m km    Resolution 100
Valkyrie Long Range Sensor (1)     GPS 1260     Range 8.0m km    Resolution 300
Valkyrie Anti-Missile Sensor (1)     GPS 3     Range 230k km    MCR 25k km    Resolution 1
Valkyrie Anti-Fighter Sensor (1)     GPS 21     Range 730k km    Resolution 10

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes

Designer's Blurb:
---------------------

--- Named for the Valkyries of Norse mythology who would swoop in to carry fallen soldiers off to Valhalla, the Valkyrie II-Class is something of an odd duck when it comes to rescue ships. To start with, it is both armed AND armoured, being slabbed in two full layers of Ceramic Composite Armour and brandishing a 25-Ton Gauss Cannon. Another oddity is the allocation of it's Life Support and Fuel Tonnage. The Valkyrie II only has enough Life Support for two weeks worth of operations, but enough Fuel for nearly two and a half months of operation! This is due to the "sortie" of a Valkyrie II being orientated around the rescue role, where two weeks is considered a generous amount of time (and range) in which to accomplish it's mission; namely the recovery of Life Pods. The Valkyrie II also doubles as a Shuttle with capacity for a single Away Team, although it's two week deployment can become something of a hindrance on long journeys if it is not provide a "rest stop" to take on supplies.

--- Yet another area where the Valkyrie II-Class breaks tradition with the majority of Rescue Craft is it's inclusion of Cargo Handling Equipment, allowing it to conduct the retrieval of up to 200 survivors within just twelve minutes. Unlike most traditional Fighters, the Valkyrie II is quite slow, clocking in a top speed of no more than 4,800 km/s; this matter, when considered with the poor range of the craft's armament, means that a Valkyrie II makes for a poor combatant. However, the class does sport both a dedicated Anti-Missile Sensor AND a dedicated Anti-Fighter Sensor [Resolution 10] in addition to it's short and long range sensor packages, making the Valkyrie II good for conducting Xenology Surveys as well as functioning as a serviceable forward scout; although it will be sorely lacking when compared to a dedicated ship of the same role. No, what the Valkyrie II is excellent at is the Search & Rescue role, as it performs all the standard functions one would want from a Rescue Craft, but faster and better under fire... great for scooping up VIPs, enemy survivors, or the like.

--- For a power plant the Valkyrie II sports a pair of Valkyrie Magneto-Plasma Drives; each weighing in at 100 Tons apiece. Each of these drives produces 75% of the output of a normal drive of the same tonnage, while being engineered to consume a half litre of fuel per engine power hour. This has several benefits for the Valkyrie II-Class, the first of which is maintaining a good rate of fuel consumption despite the use of two 100 Ton drives instead of one 200 Ton drive. The next is maintaining a decent power to weight ratio, while the last is providing the Valkyrie II with the means to limp home even if one engine is shot up. Overall the Valkyrie II is a funny design which I came up with while pre-planning my ships for my latest run, and thought I might share the quirky madness. I am hoping to do some ARRs from this one. Stay Tuned!

This craft uses the following techs:

- Ceramic Composite Armor

- 0.5 Fuel Consumption

- Cryo Module - Emergency

- Engineering Spaces - Fighter

- Fuel Storage - Small

- Magneto-Plasma Drives

- Beam FCS Range - 48,000 km

- Beam FCS Tracking - 4,000 km/s

- Active Sensor Strength - 21

- EM Sensor Strength - 11

- Gauss Cannon Rate of Fire - 2

- Gauss Cannon Launch Velocity - 2
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:39:49 PM by xenoscepter »

Offline Cavgunner

• Lt. Commander
I like it, but it was my understanding that cryo modules do not currently work for accepting lifepod survivors.

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Re: The Valkyrie II Rescue Fighter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 10:41:37 PM »
Now see I was under the opposite impression. Also, the post has been cleaned up just now; if you wish to review it. Nothing changed mind you, just the fluff.

Cheers! ;D

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
I like it, but it was my understanding that cryo modules do not currently work for accepting lifepod survivors.
I believe I've ran into this, queue exploding rescue shuttles from overloaded life support.
If you lower Deployment time down to .1 months you can get 100 berths out of a single crew quarters.
Thats half the effective capacity of an emergency cryo, but after 72 hours at least the crew won't die, they'll just get grumpy from long deployment times, which is meaningless in a non combat vessel.
Alternatively cheese the system by lowering deployment time down to .0001 and get 1000 crew in there, but I'm pretty sure thats unintended so I would limit it to 0.01 which will give you 232 berths and a 7.2 hour deployment time.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
Re: The Valkyrie II Rescue Fighter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 11:33:35 PM »
A rescue shuttle only needs enough endurance to get to the life pods before they expire, and then back to their mommy ship.  And even if they are massively overloaded, once they are inside a hangar, the game doesn't check their overload status.

So use flight crew berths for the mechanics, and maybe have a cryo on their carrier for the RP.

Also, if you are rescuing and interrogating enemy life pods, you can put a high Intelligence rating officer on board, and get somewhat more info from the interrogated prisoners.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Not only that but if there are multiple ships in a TG that picks up lifepod survivors, they are not distributed among the ships and instead are all put into one ship, regardless of how badly overloaded it already is. Steve has confirmed this fixed for C#.

So always do lifepod pickup via crew quarters and with individual ship TGs!

The following users thanked this post: Cavgunner, xenoscepter