Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Distant Worlds 2
« on: January 27, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »
Looking really good in my opinion... ;)¨

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWD5Btwedys&t=4073s

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: Distant Worlds 2
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 02:31:35 PM »
No release date yet?

But there's a steam page.
If this comes out during exam season I'm in big trouble.

Also it looks like the race selection is less extensive but that might be because of alpha
No pirate empire kind of sucks though
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 02:36:02 PM by Droll »

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 03:38:09 PM »
No release date yet?

Also it looks like the race selection is less extensive but that might be because of alpha

I have followed the twitch stream live and I seem to recall that it was said it will be actually possible to play as a pirate faction.

I'll have to rewatch it then.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 03:43:43 PM »
No release date yet?

I have followed the twitch stream live and I seem to recall that it was said it will be actually possible to play as a pirate faction.

I'll have to rewatch it then.

Not too long after the timestamp that OP posted he explicitly says "no pirate empire at launch" but does not give a hard no as to keep future addition a possibility.
Note that pirate empire might not be the same as playable pirates so we might both be right.

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 04:47:17 PM »
Yes... no playable pirate faction at launch... but neither had the original game either. We can't really expect every odd option available in the old game to return at launch, that would not be fair. The important thing is that all of the core mechanic is either retained or improved upon, even those that came with the expansions.

I think this as all proper and fair... who knows what they have planned for future expansions. Perhaps something even better... I don't know if playable pirate factions is actually all that necessary for many other things they could do instead.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 05:24:48 PM »
I like the new UI, but one thing left me perplexed.

I did like the old interface for colonization and resources. Here it seems restrained to that little part on the left which is fine for the quick bites but could be nightmare-ish when you'll expand your domains...

However, there is a button next to the hammer icon that he never clicks which really looks like the Galaxy Map, so we have all the filters and options there.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 05:43:52 PM »
I like the new UI, but one thing left me perplexed.

I did like the old interface for colonization and resources. Here it seems restrained to that little part on the left which is fine for the quick bites but could be nightmare-ish when you'll expand your domains...

However, there is a button next to the hammer icon that he never clicks which really looks like the Galaxy Map, so we have all the filters and options there.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

To be honest I have a hard time immagine that it will be harder to get the information we need in DW2 versus DW:U... but as you say, we have to wait and see.  :)

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 06:06:52 PM »
Yes... no playable pirate faction at launch... but neither had the original game either. We can't really expect every odd option available in the old game to return at launch, that would not be fair. The important thing is that all of the core mechanic is either retained or improved upon, even those that came with the expansions.

Ok so I didn't know that the DW didn't have pirate empires at launch so that's fine.

But why shouldn't we expect all options that were in the previous game to also be present in the sequel, what is it with people expecting less from the sequels?
I don't think its unfair to expect the sequel to have at least the same amount of content as it's predecessor.

Offline Jorgen_CAB (OP)

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 07:01:47 PM »

Ok so I didn't know that the DW didn't have pirate empires at launch so that's fine.

But why shouldn't we expect all options that were in the previous game to also be present in the sequel, what is it with people expecting less from the sequels?
I don't think its unfair to expect the sequel to have at least the same amount of content as it's predecessor.

As long as all of the core mechanics are there I definitely see it as unfair to expect a sequel of any game to have the same massive content as a game that have had several expansion over a huge time frame.

This could be campaigns, events, factions and specific mechanic in relation to those. It also remove the chance for them to build a new story with the new game, bring in new factions, story events and mechanics to support them in the future.

As far as I know all of the core mechanics are intact in DW2, including all of the core mechanical changes included from the expansions... they have expanded on many parts of the game in addition to this, at least from what they said so far.

The new game will come with less factions than what Distant Worlds Universe had for example... not that that matter much with how easy and quickly we will have new factions through modding anyway. To be honest I don't even remember which are the original factions anyway as I always play the game modded.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:05:21 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 10:17:45 AM »
It's finally out!

I'm a bit on the fence about judging it right now though. Clearly DW2 saw an insane amount of work, but the sheer scope of it shows on release, the "paint is not dry" on many things. If you can wait, then wait some patches could be a quick conclusion.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 01:40:37 PM »
It's finally out!

I'm a bit on the fence about judging it right now though. Clearly DW2 saw an insane amount of work, but the sheer scope of it shows on release, the "paint is not dry" on many things. If you can wait, then wait some patches could be a quick conclusion.

The "paint is not dry" is quite apt. I'm having stability problems right now as my game has crashed multiple times. Usually when the game starts to slow down.

I would also say that performance is a problem, I used to have research tree lag which seems to be fixed now but otherwise there is a bit of mid-game lag even with just a total of <1000 civilian freighters.

The fundamentals of the game though? Jorgen_CAB was right, its all pretty much there.

The ship designer is the main change with the whole component bay business. It is certainly less flexible but not by that much. Ship hull size remains the primary limiting factory and not the component bay types. My only real complaint is that military hulls seem to be very limited on sensor mounts until you start getting proper capitals like cruisers. Idk why its impossible to mount both targeting and countermeasures with a proximity sensor. Oh and you can design your hangar strikecraft in DW2 which is new.

One thing I will say about the ship appearance at least for the humans is that their gun turrets are ugly. I do not like the "orb with noodles sticking out" model and wish that gun turret models looked a bit more substantial, kind of like wet navy turrets that we have had throughout modern naval history. It just doesn't look like the turrets are properly attached. Missile weapons look quite fine though.

It would also be nice if the ship colors adhered to your empires map color. For example, human ships have the grey/blue scheme regardless of what empire color you have. In my example I would hope for them to be something like grey/red as red is the map color for my empire.

Finally, I sincerely hope that they intend to revisit the game editor. Right now, the game editor in Distant Worlds 2 is very limited compared to what DWU had which could affect characters, research tech etc. Many of those things cannot be done through the in-game editor for DW2.

Edit: I should also mention that fleet templates are a thing now and they are great. It makes managing multiple design types for a role easier (I have missile based variants alongside the gun variants for example).

Planet colonization is also better now, you cant magically have humans live on a volcanic planet with tech now unless the planet is super high quality and even then the humans wont do too well on it. This means that multi-species empires are going to have a distinct advantage when it comes to colonizing varieties of planets.

It also means that low quality does not mean uncolonizeable. Certain races can have very strong suitability on low quality worlds like volcanics and very poor suitability for high quality continental because of racial bonuses/penalties.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 01:48:02 PM by Droll »

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 06:18:14 PM »
It's a great framework.

But to be honest it needs 2 or 3 patches to fix bugs and stability, 1 major QOL patch, and add-ons, lots of them.

The good news is that they are working on all of the above.

My take is that you should try it for a good 100 hours or 2 separate playthroughs, then probably come back to it in 6 months / 1 year time.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 03:49:21 AM »
Same conclusion really. I know I should refrain from playing it right now and wait, but I'm a bit impatient so I still try to enjoy it, but frustration is rising. Currently banging my head against the non sensical civilian freighters behaviors. Give me manual control and repeat+conditional orders and I'll show you what efficiency is!  ;D

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2022, 01:06:58 PM »
Same conclusion really. I know I should refrain from playing it right now and wait, but I'm a bit impatient so I still try to enjoy it, but frustration is rising. Currently banging my head against the non sensical civilian freighters behaviors. Give me manual control and repeat+conditional orders and I'll show you what efficiency is!  ;D

For me the frustration comes from the wonders of nebula pathing. For some reason fleets insist to always enter a nebula system from outside the nebula, if they are already inside the nebula then they immediately exit and re-enter, even if they are already really close to the destination.

It's a bit wack.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 04:52:43 AM »
I gave it a try; two crashes in two hours. Looking at the change log is not very encouraging either. This game might have the record for the most number of reported crash fixes, ever.