Author Topic: 2018 : The #C Era?  (Read 13885 times)

Offline Marski

• Commander
Re: 2018 : The #C Era?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2018, 08:46:02 PM »
Good God I can't wait for C# Aurora, the wait is just tormenting.

Ever since I started playing Aurora many years ago, it made every other 4x game completely obsolete in my eyes. Not being able to determine the capabilities, weaponry and equipment of my starships feels like I'm playing a game strealined and made with the least effort, it's almost insulting. In any of the games such as Sword of the Stars, Distant Worlds, Stellaris, Endless Legend and such, I feel like everything's too easy. Colonizing your first planet should be a great challenge, not a mundane press of a button.

Not to mention the technologies, Aurora feels like the only 4x game that allows you to develope your own naval doctrine built around technological focus of your choosing. Focusing on "conventional" weaponry such as railguns and missiles is as viable as going energy weapons, as long as you build your tactics and strategies accordingly. Stellaris is the biggest offender of this in my opinion since you really can't practice "stand-off" missile engagement, because the A.I will fly your ships into energy/railgun range regardless.

I have tried drowning my misery by focusing on work and other videogames, but they're losing their effect gradually.
Right now I'm playing Hearts of Iron 4 with "Darkest Hour" modpack for extra challenge to keep me distracted, hopefully it'll keep me occupied for couple of months.

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 02:58:41 AM »
Well worth the delay to C# in my opinion. It's the game many Battletech fans have been waiting years for.

Actual Battletech game..r a completely smeg.

Miss the True BT core.

Waste time
Waste money.

Bleach

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 08:05:19 AM »
Actual Battletech game..r a completely smeg.

Miss the True BT core.

Waste time
Waste money.

Bleach
What happened with the battletech RPG was a tragedy, but perhaps after the PC game and later Mechwarrior 5 brings the spotlight back a new better attempt will be made to bring back the tabletop. Or perhaps another pc game which similates the tabletop closer, perhaps a grand strategy game. Paradox did publish Battletech, Im sure they would love to take a crack at it. theres so many factions and time periods they can crank out DLC for XD.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Rifleman223

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »
Quote from: Marski link=topic=9999. msg108098#msg108098 date=1526003162
Good God I can't wait for C# Aurora, the wait is just tormenting.

Ever since I started playing Aurora many years ago, it made every other 4x game completely obsolete in my eyes.  Not being able to determine the capabilities, weaponry and equipment of my starships feels like I'm playing a game strealined and made with the least effort, it's almost insulting.  In any of the games such as Sword of the Stars, Distant Worlds, Stellaris, Endless Legend and such, I feel like everything's too easy.  Colonizing your first planet should be a great challenge, not a mundane press of a button.

Not to mention the technologies, Aurora feels like the only 4x game that allows you to develope your own naval doctrine built around technological focus of your choosing.  Focusing on "conventional" weaponry such as railguns and missiles is as viable as going energy weapons, as long as you build your tactics and strategies accordingly.  Stellaris is the biggest offender of this in my opinion since you really can't practice "stand-off" missile engagement, because the A. I will fly your ships into energy/railgun range regardless.

I have tried drowning my misery by focusing on work and other videogames, but they're losing their effect gradually.
Right now I'm playing Hearts of Iron 4 with "Darkest Hour" modpack for extra challenge to keep me distracted, hopefully it'll keep me occupied for couple of months.

That doesn't go without saying that those grand strategy games aren't meant to be that in depth.  To be honest for example take CMANO, sure you have control over individual units, you can set individual tactics, however its not something that most people who play HoI 4, EUIV, or Stellaris would pick to play, the same with SoaSE, Gal Civ, etc.  Those individual games (latter ones) are made to appeal to a wider consumer base.  The level of depth of Aurora (and also CMANO) would scare off most people who aren't willing to spend more than half an hour learning a game unfortunately.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 10:17:34 AM »
CMANO? Not getting for what game that stands for...

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 10:49:16 AM »
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/483/details/Command:.Modern.Air.Naval.Operations.Wargame.of.the.Year.Edition
It's that.
Modern day Aurora-depth battles in pausable/speedupable real time, basically.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
CMANO is an excellent game... If Steve has not played it he should. Might get some inspiration for some features he could copy from that game. Especially in how ship management and formation is setup and used.