Author Topic: What did you break today?  (Read 4344 times)

Offline niflheimr (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • n
Re: What did you break today?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 08:50:06 AM »
1 GWt - not bad for a 500 kWt TRIGA (assuming that it wasn't the steady state 14MW TRIGA).

It is a 14MW one indeed , though modified slightly to use LEU back in the 90's . If I remember right it could do up to 4 GWt pulses , though I've never seen it at that power level. We also had a 250KW one at another research lab closer to me , but they closed it down a few years ago.

There's a funny story about that one. My teacher used to work there from 1975 all the way to the early 90's . And between the usual tasks , he and his team had three more assemblies built on site - no licence , no anything. they even did the control instrumentation on site. From what he told me they were 10 KWt air-cooled assemblies.

They asked for the authorizations to build another reactor building on the premises , and when they didn't get the construction papers they just... build a couple of rooms inside one of the larger metal barracks they had around there.

In the end they ran them for a couple of years until the guys from Austria came to inspect something and ... well they pretty much freaked out when they saw not one but 4 fully functional - quite glowy after all those years of testing - assembly inside a building inside a barrack :) Needless to say , they did decommission them afterwards :)

Interesting! You're lucky to have a place where you can do higher courses in nuclear engineering. Here in Australia, we have to go overseas (typically to the US) - and so we only have a small number of nuclear qualified engineers.....

It's not overflowing with nuclear engineers here either - back when I started college we were 120 in the class. Four years later 32 graduated , out of which only 5 of them with grades above 8/10 .Then I started my master degree at the same uni ( nuclear security , radioprotection and advanced reactor design) and out of 19 only 4 graduated. That makes what , 3% ? :D Oh and right now I only know of two others that are working for their EngD in the field.

There's a reason for that since research work is paid less than sweeping streets ( not joking , a street sweeper get 350-400 euro/month while most salaries in research are 300-350) . Though I am waiting for the other two units to be commissioned at our CANDU plant - 1400 job offers when that happens :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:08:15 AM by niflheimr »

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »
In the end they ran them for a couple of years until the guys from Austria came to inspect something and ... well they pretty much freaked out when they saw not one but 4 fully functional - quite glowy after all those years of testing - assembly inside a building inside a barrack :) Needless to say , they did decommission them afterwards :)

(VBG) - I imagine that it was "interesting" for the guys who made these reactors ("interesting" in the chinese sense....) I imagine that they would be able to post in this topic - with the body being "numerous national laws...."  ;D

Still, that makes 5 reactors - which is pretty good when you consider that Australia has had a total of 4 reactors in 55 years (HIFAR, ANTARES, MOATA and OPAL). And that's not counting the 2+2 NPP's you have.... (Sorry - I'm a little envious :( ).

It's not overflowing with nuclear engineers here either - back when I started college we were 120 in the class. Four years later 32 graduated , out of which only 5 of them with grades above 8/10 .Then I started my master degree at the same uni ( nuclear security , radioprotection and advanced reactor design) and out of 19 only 4 graduated. That makes what , 3% ? :D Oh and right now I only know of two others that are working for their EngD in the field.

Still - that's better then where I work. Despite the 55 years the organisation has been running, currently we have no nuclear engineer qualified staff in the Operations section.....

There's a reason for that since research work is paid less than sweeping streets ( not joking , a street sweeper get 350-400 euro/month while most salaries in research are 300-350) . Though I am waiting for the other two units to be commissioned at our CANDU plant - 1400 job offers when that happens :)

Well, we've just poached a Shift Manager from NRU (in Canada) - are you interested in moving to Australia? Basic operators pay is ~1000 euro's a week (before taxes), plus shift loading (after you are accredited). A Shift Manager is about 50% higher base pay.....  ;D

Interested - or are you waiting for Units 3 and 4 to come on-line (in 2014 and 2015)?

Later,
Matt

Offline niflheimr (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • n
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 01:38:02 AM »
(VBG) - I imagine that it was "interesting" for the guys who made these reactors ("interesting" in the chinese sense....) I imagine that they would be able to post in this topic - with the body being "numerous national laws...."  ;D

My plan was to stay for a few years at my current job ( system design for one of the subcontractors that manage the current NPP) and then either go for units 3/4 or somewhere else - Canada prolly , but I'm not tied to a tree down here :)

Oh and to enforce the envy : beside the CANDU plant there are plans (they've already decided on the location and running impact studies) for another two units - either two EPRs or the 1600 MWe APR . Though I'd prolly grey out before they finally build it.

Compared with the CANDU6 an EPR would be a wet dream :D Especially one that actually has a straight generator shaft unlike our unit 2 (got slightly bent when some idiot tried to steal the power lines couple of kms away and shorted the hell out of the switching yard)

Not really - they did got reprimanded but nothing more - it was back in the late 80's and the political situation was more of a "results first , bend the law afterwards" kind of deal.  If they did it now it would have been nasty though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:53:15 AM by niflheimr »

Offline niflheimr (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • n
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 04:19:38 AM »
Broke a data aquisition card . The process computer it was attached to might still live - I'm not yet sure.

Always , always double check the insulation on your high voltage cables . Especially if the are a cm away from the sensor cables.

I didn't . It sparked .It smoked . It stank of ozone and plastic. It sounded like the king of crickets after a bottle of jack .And lots of nice shiny sparks came out of the pc . About 33kV worth of sparks.

Total cost 250$ if the pc survived , 3k if it didn't . The smoke cleared up fast though. But still , there goes my rent for this month.