Poll

UN Elector: Cast your Vote for Chief Executive of the UN General Assembly. results will be embargoed for 48 Earth Hours

Mitchell Powell (Utopian Party)
6 (37.5%)
Filipe Almanzo Coronado (Colonial Defense League)
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: November 23, 2013, 09:12:53 PM

Author Topic: Election 2114: Cast Your Vote!  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Election 2114: Cast Your Vote!
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
[Background: i'm trying to make it as a fiction writer so I'm not in the habit of posting fanfiction for free, I prefer to horde my ideas. That said I'm a super-involved RP-er and I get really into my games, so it's hard not to communicate them sometimes.  I thought it would be fun to do a series of election-themed threads where you got to decide who would become the next president in my game, and set the agenda for the UN. I thought it would be more fun to do so in a way that was largely context-free, so you didn't know the backstory at all. I am out of the business completely now but I worked for two years as a campaign finance and opinion poll analyst tracking federal and state elections, and I previously worked as an APUS teacher, so I can't help but flavor my idealistic sci-fi with nitty-gritty cynical politics, like the west wing in space. So, who do you vote for after seeing this one exchange, which historians later that century believe to perfectly encapsulate that election season:]

Moderator: Hello and Welcome. This debate will be the last in this election cycle, between Mr. Mitchell Powell of the Utopian party, and and Senor Filipe Almanzo Coronado of the Colonial Defense League. Both candidates have requested the debate be conducted in English. Questions have been selected by the UN Council on electoral affairs and directed at a specific candidate, candidates will have 2 minutes to respond to a question followed by a 1 minute rebuttal from their opponent. As this debate is for the benefit of duly-elected UN Electors and not the general public, I would remind the candidates NOT to direct statements toward one another, and to eschew introductions. Instead I will formally introduce the candidates using descriptions authored by them and cleared by the UN factfinding comission:

Mitchell Powell: Is a former executive, An avowed pacifist, and techno-utopian. He has campaigned on an agenda of expanded scientific research, peaceful development of offworld colonies of UN member states and the creation of a "science corps" to better understand and possibly placate the hostile threat posed by the Automated Clan Remnant, in hopes of one day establishing peaceful contact with them. Mr. Powell opposes the libertarian agenda of NATO-Russo politicians, especially in their offworld colonies, and endorses national plans on offworld colonies to better regiment and organize offplanet society, particularly in the area of manufacturing and scientific research.

Filipe Almanzo Coronado: Is the incumbent executive, a pro-defense, pro-unity candidate with prior military and gubernatorial experience. He has campaigned on an agenda of greater military protection for the most distant colonies and a resumption of hostile action against the Clan, as well as increased research into defense technologies. He has served two terms as executive, and argues that the threat posed by the clan is so great he should be allotted another term to complete his agenda. Senor Coronado opposes overreach by NATO-Russo member states but generally endorses their plan to relax laws governing offworld colonies and opposes plans to regiment or direct their free-market economies.

Mr. Powell, by virtue of a coin toss, the first question is for you.

Powell: Well, that's just my luck

*Laughter from assembly*

Moderator: Mr. Powell, as a native martian you were the first assemblyman, and later executive, to hold office on earth without actually being born there. If elected you will be the first executive to serve non-consecutive terms and, some would argue, the first president to serve with an openly "colonialist" agenda. Your opponent, the incumbent executive Senor Coronado, has accused you working toward a "martian century", and you have repeatedly denied this. What would you say is the place of Earth in the 22nd century?

Powell:Well uh...that is a complicated question, and I am an academic man by nature. Let's unpack it. First, the 'martian century' phrase is a dis-ingenious one proffered by my opponent. It was drawn from an essay I wrote more than two decades ago, while still at the Academy (on earth, let me remind you), and taken largely out of context. I encourage electors to read what I actually wrote before rushing to a decision. I have made my political opinions very clear: while I do support expanded rights for the off-world colonial holdings of UN member nations, I do not in any way support the "global siezure" or "independence" of these colonies. The courts have ruled several times that UN Member states have just ownership to these colonies by the Trobrian Accords of 2077. However, it's a simple demographic fact that Mars' population has recently exceeded that of Earth's, but the planet has no independent mineral depots, no fuel production sites, no local control over utilities, no independent army or navy....

Coronado: Excuse me but I really can't let that point go unaddressed

Moderator: Mr. Powell, I would ask you...

Coronado: no, no, you can't seriously suggest that Martian colonies of China, Russia, and the United States be allowed to develop their own navy. With space as dangerous as it is?

Powell: I'm sorry but the fact is martians do not believe they are being afforded adequate defense against the Clan robots, I would think the defense and safety candidate would understand that but..

Moderator: Gentlemen please, it is Mr. Powell's question and...

Coronado: Martial law is still in effect sir! I'm entitled to speak on matters of defense! We are at war and this man is proffering suggestions tantamount to sedition.

*Coronado's microphone is cut. He continues...*

Coronado: Now, answer me this! Are we going to divide our forces nationally, like in the pre-directorship days, or are we going to face the clan united? As one force?

*powell hesitates*

Powell: Well, at the academy they would have called that a false dichotomy *chuckle* however, you are right: you, as executive, have been granted military powers to face the threat we currently face, however, I want to point out that it was YOUR decision to do so in an offensive capacity. You had no mandate for that, and casualties at luyten would most likely have been lower if you adopted a defensive position as my scientists advised...

Coronado:Your scientists? Your "global xenology panel" was a collection of partisan hacks all of whom advocated a solidly Anti-earth agenda...

Moderator: Gentlemen please...

Powell: I'm sorry sir, but I think I speak for the people of mars AND the lesser colonies when I say that we won't join you in supporting a third term for you, or a return to the directorship, excused once again by some vaguely-defined military threat...

Coronado: Vaguely defined? Your vaguely defined threat has killed more than FIVE HUNDRED people, including crews of YOUR SCIENCE VESSELS, Sir! Our men our DYING in the outer colonies and you sit here and claim to be on their side. Need I remind you I governed mars for 2 terms, and the Ross mining conglomerate before that. Now, I want you to face those electors and say, here and now, that YOU aren't the Kuzmin candidate, seeking to undermine the military might of the UN in deference to some utopian agenda.

Powell:Well I should remind you that Kuzmin and her directorship were solidly anti-utopian, however

Moderator: GENTLEMEN!

*both candidates are finally quiet.

Moderator: I would remind both of you that these debates are required by law, you will not be eligible for candidate status until you complete them. We will recess for 15 minutes while the candidates compose themselves, then we will resume with new questions. To our electors, I apologize on behalf of the general assembly...

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:01:24 AM by Theodidactus »
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Cripes Amighty

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
Re: Election 2114: Cast Your Vote!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »
Very interesting premise. I look forward to seeing the results.

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 06:49:26 PM »
24 hours until the polls close, with the outer colonies yet to report in, and the race is still too close to call. Accusations of widespread Voter fraud in the driftless region of Monticello remain, at the time of this broadcast, largely unsubstantiated, but we are waiting to hear back from the Governor.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »
With less than six hours to go, the votes from the Driftless region have been ruled as valid by a multinational panel appointed by the governor of Monticello. This race, once considered a toss-up, now has a clear front-runner, but it is far from over.

At press time, both candidates are going ahead with their campaign events, assured that they will ultimately win the day. Campbell is reportedly en route to an election party at Mar's Vinge Colony, while Coronado is moments away from presenting a final speech in Daar Es Saalam. He will likely be attending the election party arranged for the Defense League in Cairo.

In other news, an unnamed staffer and aide to Senor Coronado has leaked several secret executive financing orders signed by Coronado several hours ago. These bills appropriate large funds previously reserved for UN Peacekeeping projects into defense research and ship-building. If Coronado emerges victorious this evening, this will likely form the core of his third-term agenda. If Campbell wins, he will likely be stuck with these bills as a final legacy of the Coronado administration....

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 01:57:57 AM »
Final votes are in, and the Incumbent, Senor Coronado has won by a stunning margin, reflecting a clear mandate for his platform. An upset this dramatic most likely spells the end for the Utopian party in conventional UN Politics, and a new era in the militarization of space.

Pundits are divided as to how Coronado could have turned a dead heat into a clear win in a matter of weeks. Some argue the situation changed when  late-breaking revelations emerged that Campbell's xenology commission had ruled meaningful contact with the Clan Remnant "Impossible for decades or centuries".

I, on the other hand, have put my political analyst hat on for a few minutes, and concluded that it had more to do with the fact that Campbell was running as a pacifist in an election held on a military science fiction forum.

It remains to be seen whether or not voters have ushered in a decades-long "second directorship" under Coronado's control, but the results of the election are clear:

- NATO-Russo's interests are politically irreverent in the modern era, new powers have emerged, predominantly Brazil and the African Union.
- Development of the outer colonies will proceed according to the whims of the market, not the national governments that control them.. The colonies may  even develop self-succificiency and independence.
- counter-intuitively, the same election has handily decided that the UN has a monopoly on space-based military force. This may lead to a curtailment of civil or colonial rights, but it will end the low-level space skirmishes that have plagued Terran space for almost 50 years.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 02:02:22 AM by Theodidactus »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 05:33:49 PM »
Very good debate, I find myself wanting to know what happened after the recess, I lost it when you put your political analyst hat on :P
I'm looking forward to any other RP you choose to put up on the forum.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
Coronado won re-election by a surprisingly strong margin and is now in his 4th term. The Clan Remnant has been destroyed, and technology has advanced rapidly because of discoveries pulled from ruined clan laboratories. Many of these have been kept top secret by the coronado administration. In 2118, the UN made first contact with the Commune of Achird, a living sentient species that appears to be anxious to co-exist with humanity on peaceful terms...but their thought processes are so alien that humanity cannot be sure. Coronado has ordered multiple "expeditions" into Achird space which seem to be nearly belligerent in nature.

It's now 2120 and coronado has announced that he won't be running for another term. This announcement comes during a political crisis as several off-world colonies are demanding independence, or at least some degree of autonomy, from the nations that originally colonized them. The election of 2122 will most likely settle the question of whether these colonies will develop into separate "worlds" or remain subservient to UN member-states on Earth.

My next post (probably on friday or saturday) will be a town-hall style debate between three candidates. You will get to ask them questions and the candidates will answer them.