Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 441804 times)

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #2100 on: January 11, 2019, 04:29:23 AM »
Like making nebulas noticeably richer than other systems in TN materials ? That would nicely compensate for the slow moving ships and all.

That is already true for VB6 Aurora.
Do we have any control as SM before a system generation if it will be in a nebula? If not, would like to see that as an option.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2101 on: January 11, 2019, 05:02:52 AM »
Do we have any control as SM before a system generation if it will be in a nebula? If not, would like to see that as an option.

Yes, in the sense that there is an 'Add Nebula' button as well as an 'Add System' button.  Otherwise, there is an increased chance that any system adjacent to a Nebula system is also a Nebula system.

In VB6 Aurora, I mean.  As Steve mentioned above, there are no nebulae in C# Aurora yet.  #:-[

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #2102 on: January 11, 2019, 12:14:26 PM »
Love the new genetic techs Steve, you clearly really want your space marines! And it suddenly makes all those previously meh bio researchers much more interesting.

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #2103 on: January 11, 2019, 01:14:30 PM »
Just saw the genetic enhancement for soldiers in the change list.  There are a lot of possibilities with that kind of tech, this could get interesting.

Also two questions Steve :

Do NPR now invade worlds rather than nuking them from orbit ? I though I saw something about that but I can't remember where.

And second, and technically a spoiler, you said the swarm uses ground troops, as do precursors, do they have the full range of weaponry that NPRs and players do ? What I mean is, do they have STOs, artillery, vehicles, ect ? With like bio versions for the swarm in particular (kind of like starship troopers to be honest).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2104 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:26 PM »
Just saw the genetic enhancement for soldiers in the change list.  There are a lot of possibilities with that kind of tech, this could get interesting.

Also two questions Steve :

Do NPR now invade worlds rather than nuking them from orbit ? I though I saw something about that but I can't remember where.

And second, and technically a spoiler, you said the swarm uses ground troops, as do precursors, do they have the full range of weaponry that NPRs and players do ? What I mean is, do they have STOs, artillery, vehicles, ect ? With like bio versions for the swarm in particular (kind of like starship troopers to be honest).

NPRs may invade worlds, depending on the situation. NPRs do have the full range, including STOs, tanks and artillery. The swarm does have some capabilities that non-Swarm don't have.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2105 on: January 11, 2019, 03:34:42 PM »
Some musing on the genetically enhanced soldiers.

You'll almost always want them in heavy power armor - you're paying more for the extra hp than you would pay for the extra armor, and there aren't really many situations where the hp is better (Heavy crew served anti-personnel being the most notable exception, but light bombardment is the other way around so it kind of cancels out), so it makes sense to increase the cheaper armor first.

So I expect if you use genetically enhanced infantry, you want space marines - 2x hp 2x armor, once you have all the genetic engineered infantry tech. You'll be paying five times as much for one as for an unarmored infantry, but you'll get extremely high resistance to small arms. This makes them a natural for boarding combat, since there you'll probably be mostly worried about light personal weapons from the crew.

Doing the math, assuming near equal tech the most efficient weapons against space marines would be light anti-vehicle or medium autocannons (both get the same kills per ton of weapon). Still decent counters are, in descending efficiency, heavy bombardment, light autocannon, Medium bombardment & Heavy Crew Served anti-personnel, and then heavy autocannon. Basically you pay 5x as much for infantry that are extremely resistant to light weapons but still take the same losses to anti-tank or heavy weapons - not a bad deal.

The following users thanked this post: Agoelia

Offline DEEPenergy

« Reply #2106 on: January 11, 2019, 04:10:54 PM »
That makes them pretty ideal for boarding as you get stronger troops for the same tonnage, a heavily genetically modified solider in heavy armor with an anti personnel weapon is going to devastate an unprepared crew.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2107 on: January 11, 2019, 05:25:13 PM »
They're only ideal for boarding if your boarding shuttles are good.  I wouldn't want to lose 90% of my super expensive space marines because they missed their target vessel.  I wouldn't mind losing 90% of my conscripts like that.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #2108 on: January 11, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »
Except that you are shoving the same amount of bodies around. Sure, they're expensive, but with double the armour and HP and a good anti personnel weapon vs half armoured, standard HP and LPW equipped crewmen they stand a much better chance of successfully taking the enemy vessel.

And remember, boarding training may render them more expensive, but it also increases their chances of landing safely.

Those conscripts of yours won't even touch the hull.

Offline BAGrimm

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #2109 on: January 11, 2019, 07:17:31 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8497. msg112042#msg112042 date=1547199035
Quote from: The Forbidden link=topic=8497. msg112039#msg112039 date=1547189666
Quote from: BAGrimm link=topic=8497.  msg112033#msg112033 date=1547175704
So i was just reading the C# lore that Steve posted.     It occurred to me that if stars do accumulate TN materials the same as any other large mass, they would necessarily have massive quantities of these materials stored up.    As was mentioned in the lore post, these materials are essentially impossible to harvest, being inside an active star and all.    But what happens after, say, the star goes supernova? Do the TN materials remain focused near the center of the nova, or do they scatter during the event? Could supernova remnants be potential gold mines for TN materials? Just an idle thought that i felt needed sharing. 

Like making nebulas noticeably richer than other systems in TN materials ? That would nicely compensate for the slow moving ships and all.

That is already true for VB6 Aurora.

Cool, well at least it wasn't a totally crazy idea.  I have yet to run across any nebulae in my games, so this was something I was unaware of.  Thanks for the great game Steve!

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #2110 on: January 11, 2019, 07:43:22 PM »
Are you playing with real stars on? You won't find nebulae if you do. Nor black holes.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2111 on: January 11, 2019, 08:29:11 PM »
They're only ideal for boarding if your boarding shuttles are good.  I wouldn't want to lose 90% of my super expensive space marines because they missed their target vessel.  I wouldn't mind losing 90% of my conscripts like that.

That's not how it works. If space marines cost 5 times as much and you need a tenth as many for a successful boarding action, it's still cheaper to lose 90% of a hundred marines than 90% of a thousand conscripts.

Offline The Forbidden

• T
« Reply #2112 on: January 11, 2019, 08:39:41 PM »
Quote from: Bremen link=topic=8497. msg112076#msg112076 date=1547260151
Quote from: Barkhorn link=topic=8497. msg112067#msg112067 date=1547249113
They're only ideal for boarding if your boarding shuttles are good.   I wouldn't want to lose 90% of my super expensive space marines because they missed their target vessel.   I wouldn't mind losing 90% of my conscripts like that.

That's not how it works.  If space marines cost 5 times as much and you need a tenth as many for a successful boarding action, it's still cheaper to lose 90% of a hundred marines than 90% of a thousand conscripts.

And that's not even taking into account if you really need to capture that ship but taking it isn't guaranteed.  Plus it should be done faster.

Offline BAGrimm

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #2113 on: January 11, 2019, 09:41:27 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=8497. msg112074#msg112074 date=1547257402
Are you playing with real stars on? You won't find nebulae if you do.  Nor black holes.

I am, so that would explain it.  Thanks for the info, I didn't realize real stars precluded nebulae and black holes.  A shame, as they would both add intriguing obstacles for strategic considerations.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2114 on: January 11, 2019, 11:24:11 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=8497. msg112074#msg112074 date=1547257402
Are you playing with real stars on? You won't find nebulae if you do.  Nor black holes.

I am, so that would explain it.  Thanks for the info, I didn't realize real stars precluded nebulae and black holes.  A shame, as they would both add intriguing obstacles for strategic considerations.

They do.

Whereas -- in my opinion -- real stars adds nothing, save confusion as one tries to remember whether that was Wolf 352 or Wolf 359, Gliese 114 or Gliese 141.  It appears that everyone renames discovered/settled systems by naming theme anyway.