Author Topic: Jump Points first encounter.  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Judicator (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
Jump Points first encounter.
« on: May 28, 2010, 06:43:16 PM »
Edit: Never mind, I just figured out how to just seconds after this post. Ironic. But is it normal for all the jump points to say 'Unex'? Does this mean ALL of them go to that one system?

Also, I vaguely remember needing some other kind of sensor aside from grav survey sensors in order to detect ships and home worlds and whatnot. What would you recommend, for a ship to explore beyond the solar system and investigate?

Offline mikew

• Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jump Points first encounter.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:18:40 PM »
Quote from: "Judicator"
Edit: Never mind, I just figured out how to just seconds after this post. Ironic. But is it normal for all the jump points to say 'Unex'? Does this mean ALL of them go to that one system?

Also, I vaguely remember needing some other kind of sensor aside from grav survey sensors in order to detect ships and home worlds and whatnot. What would you recommend, for a ship to explore beyond the solar system and investigate?

'Unex' is short for Unexplored.  So you have no idea where the jump points go.  Geographic survey sensors are required to do surveys of planets.  To detect other ships, you can use thermal, em, or active sensors.  In each case you need to research the basic technology involved and then design and research the sensor before you can install it on the ship.  Active sensors, as well as fire control sensors, are required to target a ship.

Mike

Offline Judicator (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 10:32:14 PM »
Quote from: "mikew"

'Unex' is short for Unexplored.  So you have no idea where the jump points go.  Geographic survey sensors are required to do surveys of planets.  To detect other ships, you can use thermal, em, or active sensors.  In each case you need to research the basic technology involved and then design and research the sensor before you can install it on the ship.  Active sensors, as well as fire control sensors, are required to target a ship.

Mike

Thanks, but yeah, it would be a bit silly if I had really figured out grav sensors before geos =P. Heh, my only concern now is how SLOW I am progressing. Almost two decades and I'm still researching the basics and barely having any expansion. I know the game is supposed to go slow, but I feel like I go TOO slow, y'know?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:32:19 AM »
Thanks, but yeah, it would be a bit silly if I had really figured out grav sensors before geos =P. Heh, my only concern now is how SLOW I am progressing. Almost two decades and I'm still researching the basics and barely having any expansion. I know the game is supposed to go slow, but I feel like I go TOO slow, y'know?

You probably started with too small a population and/or too few research labs and/or a conventional start.  Note that it's not unusual for it to take >10 years to convert and get decent tech from a standard conventional start.

John

Offline Judicator (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »
Honestly, I stick with trans newtonian starts and leave everything at the 'default'. I want to try an honest game where I don't alter anything and stick to my guns metaphorically. The only thing I consider altering at the get go right now is the starting minerals, so I don't run out in an abyssmally quick amount of time.