Author Topic: Jump Module  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
Jump Module
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:25:32 AM »
I seem to be missing something about the ability to conduct Jumps. I thought a ship could conduct a standard jump if its mass was below the minimum of i) the jump engine rating and ii) the weight of the ship carrying the jump engine.

So why cant this module conduct jumps? It has been towed & released at a jump point, but neither does it allow smaller ships to transit, nor can it do so itself

Code: [Select]
Jump Modul class Jump Ship    25,800 tons     158 Crew     273 BP      TCS 516  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s    JR 2-25(C)     Armour 1-77     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 7    Max Repair 100 MSP
Cargo 15000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 10   

JC30K Commercial Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 30000 tons    Distance 25k km     Squadron Size 2
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range N/A

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline Person012345

• Captain
Re: Jump Module
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:13:07 AM »
You're only trying to send commercial ships through right? I know that commercial jump drives won't jump military ships.

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:45:44 AM »
While this is a shot into the dark, I think it is because of its lacking engines.

I might be mistaken, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that a jumpship had to have at least some speed (above 1 km/s) to move on its own accord through a jump point.

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:50:22 AM »
Yes, only civilian ships. In fact the ship itself(!) cant even transit. A 12kt commercial ship could make the jump with the help of this ship, but the other 25,700t ships could not.

I have tried adding engines in SM mode to no help (yes, I made sure they actually got trough to the ship itself, not jsut the design screen). Same with increasing the ship size to 30,000t. Same with new Jump-engines of higher efficiencies.

I dont get this, it should jump, should it not?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
Thats quirky.  Remake the ship to be 30,000 tons even, and give it an engine even if you tow it, so that it flies a little quicker than 1.

Then see what happens as a tender.

SM can introduce problems when changing ships.  I designed an early game swacs once, and used Fast Order of Battle to instantly make it.  Unfortunatly, i didn't notice the crew warning on the ship design screen: there were not enough crew life support on the ship to run the sensor array, so while the sensor array was displayed as being on, it wasn't reporting information or contacts.

SM modifying the existing ship could not fix it, but fixing the crew number and building new ones did.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:58:29 PM by Thiosk »