Author Topic: Sorium Harvesters  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Ceasars_Salad (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
Sorium Harvesters
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:52:36 PM »
How do they work? What is a good design? And what do I do with them once they are built?

Thanks!

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
Re: Sorium Harvesters
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 01:20:15 PM »
You place them on gas giant with sorium, you get fuel. It's simple.

As for example of design:

Code: [Select]
Ashod class Fuel Harvester Base    612 950 tons     2381 Crew     18176.3 BP      TCS 12259  TH 4000  EM 0
326 km/s     Armour 10-642     Shields 0-0     Sensors 24/24/0/0     Damage Control Rating 50     PPV 0
MSP 927    Max Repair 59.5 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 120 months    Spare Berths 1   
Fuel Harvester: 190 modules producing 19000000 litres per annum

Ivanov Aeroengineering 200 EP Commercial SCAMD (20)    Power 200    Fuel Use 0.04%    Signature 200    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 000 Litres    Range 36675.0 billion km   (1302083 days at full power)

Browning ASM Defence Mk. 2 (15x8)    Range 1000 km     TS: 32000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
ExpAI Active Search Sensor MR44-R15 (1)     GPS 720     Range 44.6m km    Resolution 15
Ratters Thermal Detector S24\Sz1 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km
Ratters EM Detector S24\Sz1 (1)     Sensitivity 24     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  24m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

Generally I design them to be able to fill itself within 3-4 years. After that they get conditional order to dump the extra fuel somewhere, then they follow default order of "go to gas giant with sorium".

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re: Sorium Harvesters
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 02:12:22 PM »
How do they work
You place them on a gas giant that has fuel. They wont work anyplace else. There they refill the tank of your specific sorium miner ship by the amount that is indicated on its design screen annually.

What is a good design
Depends what you want them for. I see at least 3 possible design routes - all of which I did in different games.
1. Fuel collector base: Basically nothing but harvester and fuel storage modules + very little engines (or even none, so you tractor them in place). I put on as much storage so that one years harvest fits in usually (+ a little extra, because commanders give bonuses), but that is entirely open to personal judgement. You shouldn't make the storage too small, because then you will have to frequent message interrupts that somewhere your fuel tanks are over 90% full, but you shouldn't do too much either, because it simply takes away from the harvester module space, for which it is actually there.
I always have at least tiny engines on these now, even when I intend to tractor them, because that will enable them to fly to the closest moon of a gas giant (if he has one at all that is), and deposit their fuel there. It is a comfort function, because then you can use the conditional orders ("deposit fuel at nearest colony when over 90% full"), and collect fuel from there after your own schedule.
2. Fuel collector ship: If you do not mind reduced efficiency, or a good gas giant is acceptably close to one of your colonies, then you might consider to not bother with tankers who move between collection site and colonies at all, and simply let the collectors themselves do the flying. I think it is not too useful, but at least in one game I came across a situation where this was the best option.(-> a 300m+ sorium Jupiter aligned in a way so that the nearest colony was Earth, leading to fully automated and near limitless fuel generation for me)
3. Independent ship: A ship that actually has other purpose like freighting, geo survey, or passenger transport, which can gain infinite distance capability in theory by having some percentage of the hull being sorium harvesters. All you need to do when the fuel is low, is find a giant somewhere (doesn't even need to be a rich one), and refill. That refilling will take a lot of time though if the tank was depleted a lot (..years usually), and is not very efficient to do this if you have colonies or actual tankers in at least moderate range. It is a nice concept for a deep space vehicle though if you do not intent to ever turn for example.
...Wont really work with military designs without many further tweaks, because those of course consume MSP on top of the fuel.

What to do when they are built
You can organize the fuel mining in two general ways. Either you are sending tankers with the "refill from target fleet" command towards your harvesters when they are full, and then go "unload 90% fuel on colony" (do this before as well if the tankers happen to be full). ..Or you use the default orders as described above, which require at least some engines on the harvesters. If there are moons around the target giant, then go right-click on the closest of them and do "create colony", so they will drop any fuel there. Then, if you see some need in one of your worlds, just fly a couple tankers over and collect from the storage.
Both these ways can be automated, so that tankers fly their collection route in regular intervals.(either with the "cycle orders" checkbox in the task force window, or semi manually via saved order templates on the right there, which I usually do)
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy