Author Topic: Roleplaying "Events"  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Trueknight (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
Roleplaying "Events"
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:24:47 AM »
Hi everyone!

I recently started a new game (5.42) with two Conventional Humans factions controlled by me; my fiction assume that the world it's been divided between a modern version of the Roman Empire, (Imperial Council goverment in Aurora terms) and the Chinese Empire (Imperial Monarchy).
In the setup the Romans had an edge in term of Research Labs, while the Chinese had a larger population.
I tought i could use some special "events" to make the game more interesting. For "events" i mean particular situations that could have several, mutually exclusive, outcomes that can affect the game in the long term. Something similiar to the Events used in the Europa Universalis series, with the difference that the outcome will be chosen randomly, with a dice roll, maybe modified according to the personalities of the Leaders involved.
For exemple i could decide that a poor extraction colony very far from the capital may decide to : A) Declare Indipendence B) Defect to the other empire C) start an uprising that would kill the governor, destroy a good amount of the industrial capacity and population. Obviously i won't do this every time, but only in some special occasions.

What do you think about that? Can you suggest me some ideas for making events?

At the moment the campaign has just started and the two empires are doing their first steps in the Solar System. I'll make you a quick summary.

Their first move was to put online some Orbital Weapon Platform that could neutralize the enemy's ICBMs. The Romans were the first to to have some AMMs online, but before they could complete their defensive net, the Chinese responded with several smaller laser platforms; neither side has ever had a chance to nuke the other without risking effective retaliation, and now the new Trans-newtonian tech makes that eventuality improbable.

With TN minerals becoming more rare, both Empires started their spacial programs. Again, the Romans were the first to put some unmanned sensors on the Moon: after discovering large amounts of Tritanium, almost exhausted on Earth, they colonized it with automated mines and started reaserching Orbital Habitats: since Corundium (used to make mines) had a very low accessibilitty, their plan was to move some regular mines on the moon, along with people required to man them.

In the meanwhile, the Chinese put in space the first human Geological Survey ships, and quickly surveyed the entire System; they found out that most of the celestial bodies were quite useless with the notable exception of Jupiter (rich in Sorium) and Io (large amount of easily accessible Duranium, Tritanium and Mercassium). However, before the Chinese shipyard could even finish their first Freighter, the Romans also surveyed Io, and discoverd its (relative) riches. That's when i stopped.

The setting it's perfect for a very tense race for Io, first explored by the Chinese, but with the Romans in a better place to be the first one to put foot on it.
Of coure there's room for both of them on the moon but mankind rarely had been so rational, so i'd like to hear what you think could be the possible outcome...a war fought on Earth for Io deposits (no warshisps yet, beside the orbital platforms)? an agreement, similiar to the Treaty of Tordesillas, splitting the Solar System between the two empires? Anything else?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:59:53 AM by Trueknight »

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Re: Roleplaying "Events"
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 07:36:44 PM »
Sounds great I hope you add it to the story section it be very interesting to follow

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »
I'd like to see how things result after first contact.

Large-scale terrestrial thermonuclear exchange 5 days after first contact.  The side that contacts gets snuck attack by the other side with ICBMs, a play to take over.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:14:16 PM by Thiosk »

Offline Trueknight (OP)

• T
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:07:55 AM »
@ardem: Thanks! I don't think i'm going to make a real fiction thread for it, as I'm not much of a writer...i usually can't find time and commitment to finish my fictions; moreover, as you may have noticed, English isn't my native language, and writing a detailed report of the game in English would be a too much efforts. I think I'll keep asking advices on possible plot twist, if somebody it's interested, though...what do you think of the actual situation? I hadn't time to play recently, so everything it's still a that point.

@Thiosk: I'm sorry, i don't understand, exactly what do you mean as "first contact"?

I thought a little at the situation...i think that the Romans will probably land on Io, ignoring Chinese protests (as they don't have much else to throw at them at the moment). I'll make a roll then, there will be a slight chance that the Chinese will respond attacking Romans on Earth; another quite improbable result may be that they will back off for the moment, immediately starting a warship program. The most probable course of action, though, will be that both empire will colonize the moon, doing nothing to the other for the time being; this will trigger a renewed space "arms race" that will probably lead to open warfare in a few years.

Does that sound good?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:25:42 PM »
First contact is when you meet aliens for the first time.  Player 1 meets aliens and initiates diplomatic contact.  Player two decides to hug player 1.  With nuclear arms.

Offline Trueknight (OP)

• T
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 01:49:21 PM »
First contact is when you meet aliens for the first time.  Player 1 meets aliens and initiates diplomatic contact.  Player two decides to hug player 1.  With nuclear arms.

Ok, that was also what i meant as First Contact... forgive me, as i'll surely sound as stupid, but i don't get the point....why should player 2 decide to nuke player 1 just because he made first contact? Player 2 might even not know about that, if the contat happens in a system unknown to him...