Author Topic: Jump tenders with multiple jump drives  (Read 3025 times)

Offline that one guy (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • t
Jump tenders with multiple jump drives
« on: September 05, 2018, 05:41:48 PM »
Hi, I'm fairly new at this, and I'm about to build my first jump tenders.  I was wondering about how tenders with multiple jump drives of the same type act.  Does the capacity just add up? Does it just take the biggest one's size limit? If I have 2 jump drives who can jump 3 ships each, can I jump 6 at a time? Any weird way these things interact? So many questions!

Looking forward to playing even more!

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Jump tenders with multiple jump drives
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 06:04:53 PM »
I'm fairly certain a ship is only allowed to use a single jump drive (the first one you add to the design) and the other one will just be wasted space. They definitely don't add up in any way.

The following users thanked this post: that one guy

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 11:57:57 PM »
They not only don't add in any way, if any one of them is not big enough to move the entire ship on its own, any attempt to jump will fail and throw an error.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 01:44:03 AM »
If you have a commercial jump engine that can move the ship, can you have a small military jump engine so that it can allow military ships to make a standard, not a squadron, jump?

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:57:00 PM »
Sure.  As long as "small" is still large enough to move the jump ship itself. . . thus making the commercial jump drive entirely extraneous.

Offline that one guy (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • t
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 01:41:16 PM »
Quote from: Father Tim link=topic=10159. msg109658#msg109658 date=1536292620
Sure.   As long as "small" is still large enough to move the jump ship itself.  .  .  thus making the commercial jump drive entirely extraneous.
I guess you could have the commercial jump drive in order to be able to tender larger commercial vessels rather than having a massive military jump engine that would be expensive

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 03:04:01 PM »
No, not really.

No jump drive can move anything larger than the mounting ship itself.

No ship can jump if its jump drive (capacity) isn't large enough to move the ship itself.

There is nothing a three million ton commercial jump drive can do that a three million ton military jump drive can't also do.  Thus, putting one of each on your three million ton jump tender is an enormous expense for partial redundancy.  Fuel tanks and/or maintenance & engineering spaces would be a much better use of the volume.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 09:17:35 AM »
Yes, Father Tim is 100% correct. When you need to increase the size of the ship to match the Jump Engine, just put in more Fuel Tanks and tick the Tanker box in Ship Design Window. That way your ships can refuel while jumping. Or Maintenance Storage/Engineering Spaces, or Magazines. Better to have a Jump Tender that doubles as a resupply ship.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
I've been wondering whether to remove the requirement for the jump ship to be as large as the jump drive capacity. It would lead to smaller jump tenders and more tactical flexibility. However, it would also make large jump ships less critical than they are now.

Opens to comments on whether this would be a good idea or not.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 02:38:36 PM »
I found it to be a pain in the a... designing a ship with a fitting size for the jump drive. Wouldn’t mind if that limitation would be gone.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 02:46:29 PM »
I do not typically have a problem designing ships to a standard size.  With standard sizes and standard engines you can have consistent speeds across classes.  I use the extra space in my jump tender to add flag bridges, extra fuel, extra magazines additional missile defenses, or extra maintenance storage so these ships also serve as fleet support.  I have not yet had to build an assault jump ship to lead an opposed squadron attack.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 03:05:15 PM »
I enjoy the added complexity, though instead of building a 22,350-ton jump ship from scratch, I tend to design a jump-version of my 22,350-ton Battleship.  The same for Destroyer Leaders, or Destroyer Tenders, or Jump Cruisers.  I'm not picking arbitrary jumpship sizes and trying to wrestle my other ships to fit, but rather extrapolating (and sometimes expanding) existing ship designs to create jump versions of the same.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:37:58 PM by Father Tim »

The following users thanked this post: King-Salomon

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 03:33:41 PM »
Yeah, same, so it's not really a problem for me either.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 04:08:01 PM »
While I don't find it overly problematic to match size of the jump ship with what it is suppose to jump I sometimes feel that I just stuff that ship full a things I would rather not have done otherwise.

I think it would give us a few more options for ship design if that restriction was gone... I mean you can still make that ship the same size as the jump drive capacity but you would not have to.

You would not take anything away from anyone's strategies... just add to them... in my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:09:45 PM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 06:43:41 PM »
I agree with you.  I probably should have said so to start my last post.  It would not take anything away from my game if jump drives could move slightly, moderately, or even significantly larger ships than the ones mounting them.

In my current games I'm 'guilty' of building 30,700-ton jumpships with 32,000-ton capacity drives -- wasted capacity, rather than stuffing a few more maintenance bays into them.