Author Topic: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 107625 times)

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Semi-Official 6.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
Hm, a month sounds too short to me.

Looking at the training the japanese navy (surface ships and carrier pilots) did before WW2, I don´t realy have a problem with training times of 6 to 12 months.

While I have absolutely _no_ real navy experience, I highly doubt that a new sailor is traind to crack (or even to regular) status in a matter of 4 weeks.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Aloriel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
When an officer dies or retires, there needs to be a separate message category for those.

Presently, Officer Health and Officer Update categories are overflowing with messages. To see when you need to replace an officer that has been killed, you have to read through a lot of messages.

If I had my druthers, I would shut off the Officer Health and Officer Update messages. It's a lot of information I don't necessarily require. I can do this now, but then I can't see when someone is killed in an accident or retires. I am certain these are critical for people who do AARs and other fiction, so I wouldn't say get rid of them.

I recommend two new categories for messages: Officer Dies (or Passes Away, or something akin to this) for deaths, and Officer Retires for retiring. These two messages would sort to the bottom of the main message screen.
Sarah
Game Developer in Unity and UE4 and 5

Offline Tnarg

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2013, 08:35:50 AM »
These requests are mostly for roleplaying multi-nation starts. 
For multi-race or nation starts, under SM:

-Unite races under one banner with one click.  Wether it is through surrender or joining as an alliance against a more dire external threat (example:US and Europe join to form The Western Alliance against former Russia and China new Eastern Confederation, or later on in the game after years of war amongst each other these two factions unite under the Terran Union when faced with the Klingon Empire).   I know that this can be done by transfer this and that from race to race, just thought it would be nice to have one button to push to seal the deal.

-Split a race for RP purposes (example:colonies on the Fringe are unhappy with the unfair and unjust demands of the Terran Trade Authority and vote to declare indepence and form the United Federation of Outer Rim Planets).  Not sure if it would be possible to offer a choice such as: this race or nation is computer controlled or this race is player controlled.   It would be even better if perhaps this happened automatically if enough colonies are unhappy and they have enough infrastructure between them to support being independent.

-Create exclusion zones, neutral zones, colony claims, system claims, blockades, or mining rights, so that if other nations entered it and was not supposed to it would be a dire hit to their diplomacy points and could start a war automaticallty or just really destroy relations to a critical point.   I know this can be role played, it would just be neat to have an event and see some mechanics at work creating "just cause".   Perhaps a featured could be implemented that sets up a certain desired distance from said object.

-An arms race component to intelligence and diplomacy.   Peace and negotiating strength through a bigger stick.   Through the use of intelligence agents one can get a summarized detail of another race and would receive a bonus if pressing an issue such as:(we will enter your exclusion zone and survey Mars because we have offensive ships to back it up and it is evident that you do not, the nation that controls the Mars exclusion zone sees this challenge as legit and are forced to back down without declaring war thus losing their precious find of alien ruins because they decide to focus on getting to Mars first rather than building up their military. )

Offline wobbly

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »
I suspect it's a combination of factors.

1) My current admiral of the TF is a fighter pilot glitch admiral. He's been admiral rank since he was 25 years old. So, his CTR is only 125. I'd put someone else in charge, but he's actually better than the *other* fighter pilot glitch admirals.

You could try going in to SM mode, demoting the "bugged" admirals & promoting the next officer in line.

To me, training should be a maximum of 1 year in the worst case (no TF staff bonus, 25/50 CTR). Best case should be weeks, or perhaps a month. This would make the most sense realistically.

This to me depends on whether you want to leave room for improvement. It makes sense to me to train to some level of combat readiness in a month but not to the equalivent of what you'd get from a full year's training.

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #184 on: August 30, 2013, 06:04:28 AM »
A small change in missile design:
The reactors for sensors now have infinite lifetime, so the reactor space is allocated automatically. If you allocated sensors right now you have to fiddle around to get your desired size.
So my proposal is that the allocated size for sensors includes the reactor, so if you want a 10 MSP sensor buoy, you simply enter 10 in the box, and the game calculates how much of it goes to the sensor and how much to reactor space.

Offline Rolepgeek

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »
A small change in missile design:
The reactors for sensors now have infinite lifetime, so the reactor space is allocated automatically. If you allocated sensors right now you have to fiddle around to get your desired size.
So my proposal is that the allocated size for sensors includes the reactor, so if you want a 10 MSP sensor buoy, you simply enter 10 in the box, and the game calculates how much of it goes to the sensor and how much to reactor space.
I like that idea. I haven't really done much with sensor missiles, because it's annoying to try and get the exact right size and still be effective, and the lines of decimals are really ugly.

Offline Darkminion

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »
Could you allow ships to use maintenance supplies from supply ships or from planets a planets pool? I would love to setup supply bases where minimal repairs could be preformed with damage control for very distant excursions. 

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
In a way you can.

Repairing a damaged component cost twice the "maintenance failur repair" amount, so if you have a base/ship with lots of spare parts, you can reload your damaged ship and continue repairing.
This is one of the reasons, my ships carry at least twice as many maintenance supples as the "Maximum Repair" on the design screen says.

Note: You can _not_ repair armor in that way, but everything else is fair game.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Darkminion

• Petty Officer
  • D
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2013, 01:52:20 PM »
Quote from: Hawkeye link=topic=5896. msg65713#msg65713 date=1379356175
In a way you can.

Repairing a damaged component cost twice the "maintenance failur repair" amount, so if you have a base/ship with lots of spare parts, you can reload your damaged ship and continue repairing.
This is one of the reasons, my ships carry at least twice as many maintenance supples as the "Maximum Repair" on the design screen says.

Note: You can _not_ repair armor in that way, but everything else is fair game.

I am well aware of this method.  But quite a few of my smaller ships dont hold this much.  Plus I use a ton of Marine Companies to capture NPR ships which have little to no supplies in their design.

Offline Vordarian

• Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2013, 09:21:22 AM »
Civilian Shipping as a separate Quasi-line, once you develop better tech and old ships get scrapped, representing proliferation of shipping tech to smaller entities than the government and the big shipping conglomerates.

-Tramp freighters
Using older, obsolete engines, small cargo holds and a different logic in choosing destinations, going for the marginal routes.  In systems with little military presence, they may try to smuggle (i. e.  transferring their cargo without paying the dues)

-Yachts
Small, fast ships flitting from colony to colony, doing nothing much, but have to be protected

-Prospectors
Small Asteroid miners going for unclaimed asteroids with deposits <500 tons.  Mined Materials may be bought (possibly via a starport?) or go into the civ economy, yielding a tiny amount of taxes

Independents

-Separatists/Terrorists
Spawned by high unrest.  Ramshackle refitted small civ ships with semiobsolete weapons.

-Pirates
May plague underpatrolled systems.  Build small asteroid outposts and small, crappy ships with semiobsolete weapons.

Wrecks
Should not be visible system-wide, but detectable normally by sensors

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2013, 03:02:48 AM »
Wrecks
Should not be visible system-wide, but detectable normally by sensors
Would also add a lot of tension if it was hard to tell a wreck apart from a stationary object with powered down (or knocked out) engines.

For example make them impossible to tell apart using grav sensor/radar. And add a small heat signature from some other components then engines, forcing you to go very close to detect if the ship is active.

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2013, 10:56:35 AM »
Quote from: SpikeTheHobbitMage link=topic=5896. msg63160#msg63160 date=1370023532
This would be particularly helpful in the Environment/GMC tab so a player can record terraforming targets for all gasses, not just the active one. 

I'd love to be able to set targets for all the possible gasses, and have the terraformers work automatically towards those goals.  It's a bit of a bother to manipulate the gas settings for getting the shortest time towards breathability and tolerable temperature.

Offline MehMuffin

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • M
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2013, 08:13:55 PM »
I'd really like to see a set of time advancement buttons in the event updates window, I find that a lot of the loading time of the game is just opening up all the information in other windows, and I like to avoid having stuff open other than updates so I have a clear idea of whether or not I actually need to do anything at the beginning of every turn.

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
Quote from: MehMuffin link=topic=5896. msg65806#msg65806 date=1379553235
I'd really like to see a set of time advancement buttons in the event updates window, I find that a lot of the loading time of the game is just opening up all the information in other windows, and I like to avoid having stuff open other than updates so I have a clear idea of whether or not I actually need to do anything at the beginning of every turn. 

You could tick "Display events" on the "Display" tab in the System Map screen. . .  but you'll need to filter events somewhat to get rid of all the superfluous stuff, otherwise you won't be able to see the map.

Offline Nibelung44

• Commander
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
2 easy interfaces suggestion:

In the list of leader assignment, show first the most recent ones, not the oldest ones. This would be easier to check what the guy did recently.

In the TG window, the first line of location should be 'here' something like 'Earth, <Here'' so we can see easily where the TG is, and so we can load stuff by using the first line, and not searching through the list 'where is my current location'.

I admire Steve to not bother with these 'details' when doing his own campaigns. The man must spend countless hours on things he could have fixed in 5 mn. This remind me of the author of Dwarf Fortress in fact  ;D