Author Topic: v1.13.0 Changes Discussion Thread  (Read 46495 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: v1.13.0 Changes Discussion Thread
« Reply #300 on: February 17, 2021, 02:23:42 AM »
I would be slightly cautious with anything related to minerals right now. https://silverprice.org/
As of right now, I believe Silver especially is overpriced, it has only been higher than $20 USD once in the last five years. Now it is all the way up at $27. Gold is on a downwards trend I think, but Gold always tends upwards long term, so that won't be an issue I believe.

Most gold forecasts for the next few years are on the high side, primarily due to the amount of money being pumped into economies due to COVID. Even so, the main focus for me at the moment is copper exploration with gold as a backup. Copper demand is rising due to all the green energy requirements, supply is falling and mining grades are falling. Consequently, the ongoing price rise is opening up deposits and areas of exploration than were once considered uneconomic. I do have some exposure to silver but no more so than other metals like molybdenum. I also plan to invest in a nickel miner in the near future. I decided to focus on exploration and early-stage mining because I thought it would be better to understand one sector in depth than invest in a wide-range of sectors with a lower level of knowledge. Anyway, I'll probably should not go into to detail here. Maybe we need an investing sub-forum :)  It would certainly be better-run that all the stock market forms online.

The following users thanked this post: papent, AuroraAwesomeness, Ektor, Gabrote42

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #301 on: February 17, 2021, 02:36:35 AM »
But muh game stonks

e: In all seriousness I'd probably be down

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #302 on: February 17, 2021, 06:00:10 AM »
I heard the Duke brothers know something and they are cornering the frozen concentrated orange juice futures. But my money is with Valentine and Winthorpe, a pair of up and coming commodity traders.

Offline Kiero

• Bronze Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • In space no one can hear you scream.
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #303 on: February 17, 2021, 06:30:41 AM »
Since there are Miscellaneous Components is it possible to add Miscellaneous Installations?

Also, some installations to convert POW into a usable population (so we can force them to work in labor camps  :-X ).   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:35:43 AM by Kiero »

The following users thanked this post: Droll, Ektor

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #304 on: February 17, 2021, 09:01:32 AM »
Numbering on a formation basis

Hooray! Finally, about time I sa--

Roman numerals

Ooh, very nice, this will be nice for flav--

"Sort Creation" button

Steve is a god.  ;D ;D ;D

Not to look a gift horse dev in the mouth, but if we could also have this in the Fleet Window that would be amazing.

The following users thanked this post: Ektor, Gabrote42

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #305 on: February 17, 2021, 11:48:41 AM »
Numbering on a formation basis: I would like to add a vote for "numbering on a ship class basis". I.e. when I upgrade my cargo transports I would like to keep the numbers increasing rather than restart with 001. It also would be nice if the name of the ship could be different from the class name. I.e. my transports are named for example "Bull Mk.1 class transport vessel", and then "Bull Mk.2 class transport vessel", etc. But the cargo ships should be named "Bull 001", "Bull 002" etc., independent from the Mk.x version... possible?

The following users thanked this post: StarshipCactus, LiquidGold2, nuclearslurpee

Taxman

« Reply #306 on: February 17, 2021, 12:32:38 PM »
Quote from: clement link=topic=12088. msg149096#msg149096 date=1613563210
I heard the Duke brothers know something and they are cornering the frozen concentrated orange juice futures.  But my money is with Valentine and Winthorpe, a pair of up and coming commodity traders.

FYI, Insider trading is illegal.    ;)

Offline Ektor

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #307 on: February 17, 2021, 03:57:07 PM »
Steve, you are absolutely killing it in these last few days. Also, I love the mental image of a tired Steve coming home from work, booting up his pc to work on his game centrally focused on mineral exploitaiton in space, and after getting bored with it he goes on the internet to check his mineral exploration stocks. This is peak Steve, it's really cool!

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #308 on: February 17, 2021, 06:14:10 PM »
So will the reduced-shot railguns make them the go-to weapon for beam fighters? I try to keep my fighters at 125 tons and always had trouble fitting gauss cannons in them. They are only meant to act as mobile PD for the bombers anyways.

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #309 on: February 17, 2021, 06:32:57 PM »
So will the reduced-shot railguns make them the go-to weapon for beam fighters? I try to keep my fighters at 125 tons and always had trouble fitting gauss cannons in them. They are only meant to act as mobile PD for the bombers anyways.

Almost certainly, Gauss on fighters will now have no real advantage over railguns (technically it doesn't now, unless you use fighters much smaller than 500 tons) as an equivalent Gauss cannon weighs about twice as much as a railgun and on a fighter you don't benefit as much from turrets (which also add more weight).

If Steve ever fixed the reduced size lasers bug then 10 cm Lasers will also be viable for fighters, with the larger range allowing them to fill an anti-fighter role. Otherwise the other weapons are really only for very specialized designs e.g. plasma bombers.

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2021, 07:09:43 PM »
What's wrong with reduced-size lasers?

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #311 on: February 17, 2021, 07:13:41 PM »
What's wrong with reduced-size lasers?
They don`t work, .5 size reduction doesn`t lower the 100mm Lasres mass below 100tons.
Steves said a single shot 100mm railgun will mass 49tons to match that for damage you need at minimum a sixth scale rate of fire 5 gauss cannon, and it be slightly less accurate then, at RoF 6+ the gauss cannon is better though. 

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #312 on: February 17, 2021, 07:24:19 PM »
Steves said a single shot 100mm railgun will mass 49tons to match that for damage you need at minimum a sixth scale rate of fire 5 gauss cannon, and it be slightly less accurate then, at RoF 6+ the gauss cannon is better though.

Actually one ROF higher. 49 tons, round up to 50 for neatness, is 1 HS, and a 1 HS Gauss cannon has 17% accuracy. You need ROF 6 to match the expected damage of a 10 cm railgun and ROF 8 to exceed it as there is no ROF 7 - a very expensive (750k RP) proposition so really only worth it if you are also using Gauss for fleet PD as well.

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #313 on: February 17, 2021, 07:27:43 PM »

Actually one ROF higher. 49 tons, round up to 50 for neatness, is 1 HS, and a 1 HS Gauss cannon has 17% accuracy. You need ROF 6 to match the expected damage of a 10 cm railgun and ROF 8 to exceed it as there is no ROF 7 - a very expensive (750k RP) proposition so really only worth it if you are also using Gauss for fleet PD as well.
Derp 1 sixth scale gauss cannon at RoF 6 equals 1 hit per volley on average...that would be how math does indeed work yes...GC rof goes up to 8 by the way though your point still stands
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:34:00 PM by Warer »

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #314 on: February 18, 2021, 01:22:45 AM »
Would it be possible at this stage to slip in a function to que up slipway expansions instead of having to do them one at a time?

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, TMaekler, Droll, serger, Warer, Ektor