Author Topic: Installation issue  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Installation issue
« on: January 29, 2008, 02:42:58 PM »
This is posted for Darkraven.

I am a new member (very new), and I need some help with my Aurora installation.

I can't get the basic program to install. Every attempt forces my system into an emergency shutdown. Five attempts resulted in five shutdowns in less than ten minutes. I worry about my system's integrity if I attempt it again.

Has anyone else reported a similar problem?

For background, my system is a Pentium 4 dual processor with 1 gig DDR2 RAM and over 30 gigs free space on the drive, running Windows XP home version with SP2.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
    • http://home.grandecom.net/~silkexpressions/WarStars.htm
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »
I have a similar system, but have had no difficulties. Try installing the VB6 runtime files first. I can upload them if needed or you may get them from the micorsoft website. I set up Auroa to run from my usb drive and had to hunt down all the files it needed.
Do you have Antivirus running? If so, try disabling it before installing.
Try downloading the install again. It may be corrupt.
I have no idea what other programs you may have running, but many prtection programs often require work arounds in order to install favored programs.

Hope this helped!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Haegan2005 »

Offline Darkraven

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • D
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
Quote from: "Haegan2005"
Hope this helped!

Thanks for the effort.

It didn't work on the Aurora installation, but my movie players are running more smoothly now. At least that's something!  :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Darkraven »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Installation issue
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:15:55 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
This is posted for Darkraven.

I am a new member (very new), and I need some help with my Aurora installation.

I can't get the basic program to install. Every attempt forces my system into an emergency shutdown. Five attempts resulted in five shutdowns in less than ten minutes. I worry about my system's integrity if I attempt it again.

Has anyone else reported a similar problem?

For background, my system is a Pentium 4 dual processor with 1 gig DDR2 RAM and over 30 gigs free space on the drive, running Windows XP home version with SP2.

Unfortunately I have no idea what is causing this. Its not a problem that has been reported before. I develop it on almost an identical setup (the only diference is the amount of ram) so its not the operating system or the processor. Might be worth running a check on the memory. I think there is some free software (memtest?) that will check that for you.

Have you had any similar problems with any other installs?
Do you get any error messages or does your computer just shotdown?

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 11:54:56 AM »
Hi Steve
I thought I had installed Ver 3.0Beta correctly, but when I try and design a ship I get a series of error messages, when I go F5 change type to ship they start with:

error381 was generated by Aurora
Invalid property array index

click on OK, then get:

error 3078 access generated by DOA. database. Microsoft jet database engine cannot find the input table or query' and componentID IN (select SD componentsID from ShipsDesignComponents where typeAllowed = 2)'. Make sure it exists and its name is spelt correctly
Please report to Steve Walmsey etc

click OK and then I get:

error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set
please report to etc

this then hangs and I cannot design any ships :( .

I am running Vista Ultimate and during installation the only change I made was to not replace items like Microsoft jet database as I have (apparently) a later version. Is this the cause of the errors?

Regards
IanD

PS there is a minor spelling mistake in the Pop and production screen,- mining/maintenance "shpiyards"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IanD »
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:09:37 AM »
Quote from: "IanD"
Hi Steve
I thought I had installed Ver 3.0Beta correctly, but when I try and design a ship I get a series of error messages, when I go F5 change type to ship they start with:

error381 was generated by Aurora
Invalid property array index

click on OK, then get:

error 3078 access generated by DOA. database. Microsoft jet database engine cannot find the input table or query' and componentID IN (select SD componentsID from ShipsDesignComponents where typeAllowed = 2)'. Make sure it exists and its name is spelt correctly
Please report to Steve Walmsey etc

click OK and then I get:

error 91 was generated by Aurora
Object variable or With block variable not set
please report to etc

this then hangs and I cannot design any ships :( .

I am running Vista Ultimate and during installation the only change I made was to not replace items like Microsoft jet database as I have (apparently) a later version. Is this the cause of the errors?
I'm not sure. It sounds as if you might have the wrong database file as that is a typical error for an older version of the database. Just double check you have the Stevefire.mdb file from the v3.0b patch.

PS there is a minor spelling mistake in the Pop and production screen,- mining/maintenance "shpiyards"

Well spotted. Corrected for v3.1

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 05:37:24 AM »
I had a major problem with upgrading from 2.5 to 3.0B on my vista machine.  I ended up having to delete the two files I was copying over, emptying the trashcan and then copying in the new files.  After I had done all of this there were still problems, but they went away when I told the program to compact the database (Miscellaneous tab).

Hope this helps
Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »