Poll

Are we one big company, or does each senator have his own company?

One Big Company
1 (20%)
Lots of little companies
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: June 07, 2011, 02:56:02 AM

Author Topic: Corporatocracy!  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Father Tim (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Corporatocracy!
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:56:02 AM »
I'm curious as to how the members see themselves.  Are we a single super-corp (eg Blue Sun) or a bunch of different major ones (eg The Chamber of Commerce of Earth)?

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
Re: Corporatocracy!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:33:42 AM »
Both. The way I see it, Earth is controlled by a huge corporation. Said corporation is owned by several smaller companies, and we are each related to one of those.

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:25:02 AM »
Hmm, interesting question.  I like the idea that there is an alliance of corporations acting to further space exploration and colonisation - because once they're away from the nations and borders and treaties that get in the way back on Earth, they can have 100% control over humanity. Why lobby for yet more de-regulation in the international markets when you can just make your own markets elsewhere?

Just an idea, though.

Offline Detjen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:57:50 PM »
  Problem is historically control is expensive and almost impossible.  the best thing a corporation can do is make peopel feel as free as possible,  make them feel as though they have the freedom while your simply presenting them with choices you want.

with that said I envision a democratic system,  controlled by corporations.  much like today except people dont see it as dirty and vile to accept their money.  there a a bunch of different corporations who endorse senators and let them more or less have their run of things on two conditions.    The Senators keep the markets free and growing,  finding new resources for the hungry industries of progress,  and 2 they avoid all the anti business regulations that choke business and slow their growth.   and should a Senator rise up and try to expose these situations,  that senator could meet a number of disgraceful ends,  or even death.  That is much more corporate like,  they dont want to flaunt public control,  they want money,  and they are much better letting someone else pretend to be in power while they make deals in the background.
 besides direct control is expensive,  and when people get angry and unruly it would be the corporation who has to step in, spend its own money and risk its own public reputation.  a shield is always better.

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 11:47:16 PM »
Detjen's idea is basically how I see the Corporatocracy too. And I think it's probably the most realistic view for human control. :)

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »
Except for one things: TN technologies. They must have made progress in crowd control as well, and in computing, allowing AI to check on everybody. Direct control isn't that expensive and the truth is that nobody is going to revolt as long as their life is comfortable.