Author Topic: add engines in overhaul  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
add engines in overhaul
« on: January 31, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »
I am trying to get ion tech for new engines but I can't get it. I guess I have to research a reacot tech as well. At any rate, I seriously need a guided missle cruiser for defense. What I want to know is, if I build 4 now, once I have ion engines, can I put the cruisers in drydock and during overhaul, replace the engines?

Or am I stuck with heavy slow cruiser/ scrap metal

Offline mrwigggles

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: add engines in overhaul
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »
Overhaual is just extensive repairs.

You'll need to refit the ship to change out components.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 03:45:05 PM »
Yes, you can replace the engines with a shipyard refit, but it will almost certainly cost more than building a new (Ion-engined) cruiser from scratch.  So while not technically true, it will probably feel like you are stuck with slow pieces of scrap.

To do it, go to the F5 'Class Design' screen, use the 'Copy Design' button on your nuclear-engined missile cruiser design, then 'Rename Class' to Mark II, or -B, or whatever, swap the engines, lock the design, go to the F2 'Population & Production' screen, 'Shipyards' tab, select the cruiser shipyard, choose 'Retool for Selected Class', choose your Missile Cruiser Mark II, hit 'Set Activity', wait ~6 months for the retooling to be done, move an existing cruiser to the colony with the shipyard on it, choose the shipyard, choose refit, choose your cruiser, choose your Mark II cruiser design and assign the task to a slipway.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:04:20 PM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
I am trying to get ion tech for new engines but I can't get it. I guess I have to research a reacot tech as well.

Each level of engines has a corresponding level of power-plant as a pre-req.  So you need to research the power plant first (I think it's gas-cooled fast reactor).

John

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 04:20:46 PM »
Hmmm...ok, I am wondering if I am not better of just scraping them or relegating them to defense of earth; kind of a mobile pdc or something...refit looks long, painfull and expensive.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
Hmmm...ok, I am wondering if I am not better of just scraping them or relegating them to defense of earth; kind of a mobile pdc or something...refit looks long, painfull and expensive.

You'll have to judge for yourself.  Once you're retooled for the new class, you can compare the cost of building a new ship to the cost of refitting from an old one.  For me, anything over 50% makes me think about whether I'd be better off building new and keeping the old ship as a 2nd-line unit or scrapping it.  At present, I tend to leave ships that are one generation out of date as 2nd-line units, then scrap them or upgrade them when they're two generations out of date.

John

Offline sandman662

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:49:52 AM »
I started a refit activity for my shipyard and it showed a completion time of 7+ years.... To build a new ship took less than 4 months.  What gives?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 11:37:38 AM »
Quote from: "sandman662"
I started a refit activity for my shipyard and it showed a completion time of 7+ years.... To build a new ship took less than 4 months.  What gives?
What does it say about the refit cost when you press the Refit Details button?

Steve

Offline sandman662

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:05:19 PM »
Ok, Steve, I think I figured it out.  I was at work when I posted today and had to wait to get home to see what it was doing.  The major time was the vast difference in tonnage.  I didn't know I could hit the Details button.

Thanks for the help!