Author Topic: NPRs generated during game time  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
NPRs generated during game time
« on: October 22, 2010, 01:50:59 AM »
Hi,

When a NPR is generated on the fly, when you explore a new system, is it always of the same strength, or there is a random factor + a strength related to how advanced the game is?

For example, if I'm very late in the game (actually, I'm not  ;) ), do I have a chance to find a very advanced and powerful NPR, or they will all be puny compared to my late-game might?

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: NPRs generated during game time
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 06:37:49 AM »
As far as I know, they are supposed to be roughly your current strength if you discover them.
If they are jumpcapable, the game normally creates a few extra systems to you don't stumble on their homeworld immediately.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 06:42:51 AM »
NPR homeworld populations are based on a bell curve with the mid-point being equal to the average player race population. Their research level is modified by the amount of game time passed, although it probably should be based more on player levels of research.

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 06:47:22 AM »
I actually find it quite refreshing to have races that are NOT the same tech level.
Maybe something for Aurora 2, a strength calculation that considers all those factors, and could get a low tech race with higher industrial power and population, swarming the player with cheap ships. Or an elusive High Tech population that has very few ships and colonies in only one system, but can possibly beat the crap out of an attacking fleet with their border patrol frigate.^^

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:59:59 AM »
NPR homeworld populations are based on a bell curve with the mid-point being equal to the average player race population. Their research level is modified by the amount of game time passed, although it probably should be based more on player levels of research.

Steve
Seems good, it adds a welcome random factor ... But 'average player race population' ? I hope it is not the average planetary population, because colonies generally have a low pop so the average per planet is quite low?

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 11:50:51 AM »
I think thats more meant to factor in multiple player races.