Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 183855 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2018, 06:21:27 AM »
Will every ship require a reactor to power life support, sensors etc.? Or is that too annoying.

No, just beam weapons.

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »
I am currently playing a Warhammer 40K based game where all ships should have a Void Shield. I was wondering will shields will be usable on civilian ships in Aurora C#?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2018, 01:34:05 PM »
I am currently playing a Warhammer 40K based game where all ships should have a Void Shield. I was wondering will shields will be usable on civilian ships in Aurora C#?

No, they are still a military system.

The following users thanked this post: clement

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2018, 03:06:52 AM »
you can consider it part of the engine if you want.

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2018, 10:54:04 AM »
you can consider it part of the engine if you want.

True, I was not sure how much of a distinction was going to be maintained between commercial and military ships in the new version.

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »
What will be the extend as to what can be carried around by civilians?

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »
The Supply system for ground units looks great :)  but something bothers me (maybe I am understanding it wrong)..

it's about the "consuming" of the supply units...

Quote from: Steve Walmsley
When a formation element of logistics units provides supply, a number of units will be consumed based on the supply required. For example, assume the 10 tanks above each have a GSP requirement of 100, which is 1000 for the whole element. If they draw on a logistics element using light vehicles with normal logistics modules (which have 500 GSP each), two of those logistics vehicles would be consumed. When the GSP requirement does not neatly fit into the 500 point granularity, there is a chance of an additional logistics vehicle being consumed. This chance is dependent on the fraction of supplies required. For example, if there were 12 tanks with a requirement of 1200, then two logistic vehicles would be consumed and there is 40% chance (200 / 500) than a third vehicle will be consumed. This adds an element of uncertainty, as supplies may be consumed faster or slower than normal (although it will average out over time), plus it avoids any tracking of partial supplies per vehicle.

As far as I understand it, a unit will be consumed - and has (ideally) to be replayed sometime after the battle.. this sounds like a lot of micro management for me...
So my question is: How complicated will the replacement be?
Or am I understanding "consumed" wrong and the unit is still there just empty and just needs to be resupplied itself someday with an easy and single order?

A system were the logistic unit would be just be empty (or changed in "Supply Vehicle (empty)") which could just be "resupplied" with an order from an other stockpile after the fighting wouldn't be micro heavy.. redesign each formation to reattach supply vehicles for the "consumed" ones would be micro heavy I am afraid...

but maybe I am just in an error myself about "consumed"...

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #112 on: September 15, 2018, 09:50:04 AM »
The easiest method of replacement is to build a dedicated logistic formation, for example consisting of 500 supply vehicles. Once that formation is in the same location as the formations requiring resupply, you will be able to drag and drop those vehicles into any formations that need them. I haven't added the UI for the inter-formations transfers yet. I'll post a screenshot when I do.

The following users thanked this post: King-Salomon, dag0net

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
Is there any way to easily train new units for a formation without building a whole new formation? IE: "Add 500 Light Infantry to Third Infantry Regiment", or would we have to train a new formation of 500 infantry and transfer them over? It just seems odd to train "placeholder" formations to manually split them up to other units.

The following users thanked this post: hubgbf

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #114 on: September 15, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
Is there any way to easily train new units for a formation without building a whole new formation? IE: "Add 500 Light Infantry to Third Infantry Regiment", or would we have to train a new formation of 500 infantry and transfer them over? It just seems odd to train "placeholder" formations to manually split them up to other units.

Think of the these types of formations as the equivalent of replacement units in VB6 Aurora.

Offline Kelewan

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2018, 04:12:29 PM »
In which order do Formation Elements restock Ground Supply Points and
how is the supply distributed between Formation Elements/Formations
if there is not enough GSP to resupply all.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2018, 04:29:07 PM »
Would be nice if we had an order for a ground formation to be reconstructed according to the established TO&E for that formation. Similar as the replace ordnance orders for missile equipped ships.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
Would be nice if we had an order for a ground formation to be reconstructed according to the established TO&E for that formation. Similar as the replace ordnance orders for missile equipped ships.

I will probably add that at some point, as well as an option to change the formation's base template.

Offline DEEPenergy

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2018, 11:58:53 AM »
Hi Steve

How long will it take for a formation to fortify using construction equipment? Will it be worth it to dig in your army in an invasion and fight a big defensive slog?

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2018, 03:34:32 PM »
That is at least partially dependent on the type of planet you are fighting on.

Planetary environments that better support fortifications will better support such strategies.