Author Topic: Images  (Read 2123 times)

Offline falchion-gpx (OP)

• Leading Rate
Images
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:27:27 PM »

First bug report, and hello. 

I installed Aurora, and the most recent update.    While there are images embedded in the application, I'm noticing that race, flag, and hull, as well as planets seem to have been set to reference file folders.    The instillation came up with none of those, nor did the instillation come with a set of default images.    Currently I've gathered how to set the race and flag image for customization, (Themes is broken), and am extrapolating how to set a hull image, other than the USS Enterprise.   :P  As the planet images are all missing, it also crashes the application. 

If I can come up with some on my own, I'll release them for public use, and hopefully they can be included in the official instillation so others don't go through the same thing.    If someone can send me a sample of the images used, and a file hierarchy, that would be superb.    If there could be a download link for the images library used by the application, that would be of equally splendid. 

My the seas roll gently,

Charlie

Offline LoSboccacc

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • L
Re: Images
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 12:34:59 PM »
It sounds more like a botched installation.

All those files are within a zip within the 4. 91 installer

• Leading Rate
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »
Ah, so I'll have to dissect the installer, and remove what I need.   Too bad the files aren't in zip format somewhere for easy access.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »
When you extract the aurorainstall491, there should be a zip-file named AuroraUpdate491
Run this.
Copy the new folders Flags, Medals, Planetjpeg, Races and Ships into your Aurora folder.
Done.

Note: If you tell your unzipper to put the files there, you will also get the old version 4.91 aurora.exe and database there, therefore it might be easier to manually copy the folders.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

• Leading Rate
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:49:05 PM »
I've already done so, and decided on some custom images.   For my theme on humanity, I chose to go with old-is-new, though didn't bother Photoshoping in things like laser rifles, etc, as it would cheapen the artwork.   Here is a sampling of what I've been up to.

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »
Wait, what?  I've never seen these ships before.  Jeeze theres tons of them.

Oh, is this some sort of icon for alien fleets you are observing in the galactic map or something?

• Leading Rate
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »
Durring the process of figuring out why I was getting all these 'missing images' bugs, I figured out how to make custom images and expand on the humanoid and alien races that exist.    I cooked up several human icons based on old public domain paintings, I've 13, and the resources to make more.    I also figured out how to impliment hull images for the galaxy map.    In my opinion the 'hull' should be replaced with a person, or at least replaced with the word 'icon'.    I'll experiment later to see if an animated gif is possible, maybe a Niel Armstrong in a space-suit for "humanity" and a green man for an alien, and maybe a roach for the bug aliens, etc. 

I had first contact with an alien race recently who all looked like captain Sulu from Star Trek.  .  .  .   least to say it was amusing, but odd. 

As alien races are further developed, it could be helpful to sort them by humanoid, insectoid, jellyfish-with-a-fez, energy-based, etc, with their own folders in the Race's images folder, as well as giving numerical value to describe an alien a race's language, culture, and physical anatomy; possibly on a scale from 1-50, etc.    The overall effect is that species that are more alike, would be much easier to communicate with, and engage in diplomacy with.    Other species, say telepathic ooze, might have considerable trouble interacting and communicating with an energy-based life form who lived as within the matrices of crystalline structures.    This is especially so if the ooze find the crystalline structures quite tasty. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:47:03 AM by falchion-gpx »