Author Topic: "Error 3201 was generated by DAO.recordset."  (Read 19807 times)

Offline s20dan

• Leading Rate
  • s
Re: "Error 3201 was generated by DAO.recordset."
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »
How odd.  As it happens this was with a fresh install, fresh stevefire. db ect. .
 I was sure I used to do this too without any issues to reduce the filesize.
 Oh well, So far this game I am playing has lasted over 100 years without any serious issue so I'll probably just leave it as it is.   :)

Offline Seolferwulf

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
Yesterday I've started a new save using the version 7. 1 through the Aurora Wrapper.
Conventional start without the starting missile bases.
I was ca.  20 years in with most of the basic techs researched.
After exiting yesterday the wrapper process didn't end itself so I killed it myself.
When I try to startup the program now an error 380 (title: Error in cboGame, message: Invalid property value. ) is being generated and afterwards an endless chain of error 3201 (title: Error in UpdateGameLog, message: Dataset cannot be added or changed since it needs a relation with a dataset in table 'Game'. ).

If it's like this I can't even load my save or start another one.
Any idea on how to fix this?

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »
Yesterday I've started a new save using the version 7. 1 through the Aurora Wrapper.
Conventional start without the starting missile bases.
I was ca.  20 years in with most of the basic techs researched.
After exiting yesterday the wrapper process didn't end itself so I killed it myself.
When I try to startup the program now an error 380 (title: Error in cboGame, message: Invalid property value. ) is being generated and afterwards an endless chain of error 3201 (title: Error in UpdateGameLog, message: Dataset cannot be added or changed since it needs a relation with a dataset in table 'Game'. ).

If it's like this I can't even load my save or start another one.
Any idea on how to fix this?

I am having this same issue although I closed the program normally.  There appears to be a valid entry in the "game" table. 

Edit1:
I was fooling around with a tool to capture query traffic to the access DB and somehow was able to get into Aurora and create a new game.  Once I did that, I loaded the old game, which caused an error, but then was able to save the game, and from then on it loaded correctly.   Everything looked correct in the access db, so not sure what happened.  My guess is somehow data got corrupted in the game table, ill compare a broke version and a good one and see if I can see any deltas...

Edit2:
Its the NPR generates spoiler options.  Select it, save your game and watch it go boom next time you load :)  (no, really, dont do that without a back up)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:30:24 PM by SteelChicken »

The following users thanked this post: fflaguna

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2017, 07:21:36 AM »

I was fooling around with a tool to capture query traffic to the access DB and somehow was able to get into Aurora and create a new game.  Once I did that, I loaded the old game, which caused an error, but then was able to save the game, and from then on it loaded correctly.   Everything looked correct in the access db, so not sure what happened.  My guess is somehow data got corrupted in the game table, ill compare a broke version and a good one and see if I can see any deltas...

Something to be aware of for anyone messing with the DB while Aurora is running:

Many years ago, I was trying to write (with Steve's blessing) a C# add-on to Starfire Assistant (the progenitor of Aurora).  My app would query the SA DB and do things like create officers.  Every now and then, the DB would end up corrupt (IIRC one of the records would be bad/unreadable) even though I wasn't doing anything wrong.  I eventually figured out that the VB6 database engine (Jet?) was somehow talking to the DB even if SA was idling.  In other words, I figured out that (I'm pretty sure that) you can't have a 3rd party executable modifying the SA/Aurora DB if SA/Aurora is running - every now and then SA/Aurora will put the DB into a state where trying to change it corrupts it.  Needless to say, this put a damper on my plans for a personal SA Assistant :)

John
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:23:17 AM by sloanjh »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
Something to be aware of for anyone messing with the DB while Aurora is running:

Many years ago, I was trying to write (with Steve's blessing) a C# add-on to Starfire Assistant (the progenitor of Aurora).  My app would query the SA DB and do things like create officers.  Every now and then, the DB would end up corrupt (IIRC one of the records would be bad/unreadable) even though I wasn't doing anything wrong.  I eventually figured out that the VB6 database engine (Jet?) was somehow talking to the DB even if SA was idling.  In other words, I figured out that (I'm pretty sure that) you can't have a 3rd party executable modifying the SA/Aurora DB if SA/Aurora is running - every now and then SA/Aurora will put the DB into a state where trying to change it corrupts it.  Needless to say, this put a damper on my plans for a personal SA Assistant :)

John

This is also why my backup utility doesn't launch the game. The Aurora executable seems to think it's a copy of the DB and weird things occur.