Author Topic: Tech run  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Varee (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
Tech run
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
Ok i want something different so i started a "tech run" game, giving my self lot more starting tech but super small pop. So after the game is created , i run nto my first problem, my home planet is serious undermanned so i have to shut down mining and other factory. I was goi g to shut down research but when i check it out, the game gave me most of the stuff in p&p and kenetic tag except reactor and barely anything else.....
Also i only have 2 shipyard so i was dependent on fighter, i use fast oob to add in geo serv and a grav serv i got a bit left i add a small cargo so i can expand. I started expand my main naval yard for carrier and the com yard for astro miner. Got a nice design for survey ship that last soooo lang with good fuel consumption.
Well after a while earth start running low so i start shipping mine to a comet then boom hostile incoming!
I scramble the two fighter i made that is sitting in the pdc to attack them, the supreme missile took enermy down easily so the two destroy the enermy. They keep coming so i burn thiugh mymissile quickly then i realise thoses thing cost a flipping fortune! It too much for the mining to keep up so am pretty screw with barely any gallacite and not much missile for defnce now. Full on research on enrgy weapon isnt too good so i might need to make some gauss fighter with op ecm or something. It is definitely a different experince so i wanna know if anyone else ever try this ? If so any tips for me?
I feel it might be better ifi choose tech my self

Offline Varee (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
Re: Tech run
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »
After reviewing my design i found one fighter that is almost as expensive as a 8500 tn tanker/coiler. I just realise how much resource these teches suck up and i need to stop using some of these stuff pretty quick or i wont be mining enough. I completely dropthe idea of using amm and depend on my sheild and pd turret better spend those making strnger asm missle. There is barely enough pop on my home planet tomstart colonising now but i dont know if i should move people off planet just yet.
Any comment ? :/

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Tech run
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:07:42 PM »
Since the technologies cost increasingly more to research, you need to expand your base to account for the increased times. If you try to shoot up one or two trees, you will hit a wall where it takes years/decades to research in your tree.

As a general rule, I always start moving people to Mars and a couple out-system locations to increase the mining potential. I also convert as many of my mines to automated mines to free up home population for colonization, and to ship out to places I don't want people.