Author Topic:  (Read 12817 times)

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re:
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 10:50:58 PM »
Seriously though, athom was one of those cases that accumulated disproportionate dislikes, simply because he put the cards on the table. For example; when new Aurora players come here seeking for help but sometimes don't even really describe their problem accurately, he usually opens like "we need this and that from you, or cannot answer", which is rough, but true. So some of those new guys then get tingly from just that already, and a smite is gained. Do this for a year, and you easily accumulate -6 without really earning any serious discredit.
The one truly deserving of smite in that situation is the one who so easily gave it out. I think they should be reserved only for serious crashes, personal attacks and such. ..But then it wouldn't really be used, since we don't have that here, because Aurora players are harmless and/or educated.[/self-praise]

I had at least once timidly boosted athoms account in the past already, but I see now he gained even more just from being here in the last 30 minutes. ..Well, maybe then we should just completely sabotage the order and give "likes" everywhere without reason, until negative karma is rightfully meaningless. ;D
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re:
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 11:07:18 PM »
This should be retitled: Improve your Aurora forums self-esteem thread.  Post here to have your Karma levels positively adjusted.

It's just a gimmicky module.  I've seen better modules on some other forums.  One was a 'cash' format.  As you post and create content you get, in this case, dollars and cents.  Older members who post more get more cash and that cash can be given to other forums members for good content they provide.  People with more money are either regulars or people that provided good content.  Money levels were also used to restrict access to certain portions of the forum board as well. 

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re:
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 01:24:26 AM »
I would be a communist in that type of forum and demand wealth equality no matter the personal achievement! :)
But seriously, it seems interesting, though I don't know about the restricted forum access. In any way it seems to live without negativity (cannot "steal" money). Kind of like facebook, where only a like exists(/ed?), though I heard that changed, and it was actually for the better for once. Some people need critique to get when they are wrong, but the thing is it should only get through once a really large percentage of visitors agree on its wrongness, so individual hating stays barred. (and then it would still not be save, for example against mobs...)

Offline Mor (OP)

• Commander
Re:
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 04:42:15 AM »
This should be retitled: Improve your Aurora forums self-esteem thread.  Post here to have your Karma levels positively adjusted.

It's just a gimmicky module.  I've seen better modules on some other forums.  One was a 'cash' format.  As you post and create content you get, in this case, dollars and cents.  Older members who post more get more cash and that cash can be given to other forums members for good content they provide.  People with more money are either regulars or people that provided good content.  Money levels were also used to restrict access to certain portions of the forum board as well.

Actually, its a rather common method to encourage good posts and discourage toxic comments. Although I prefer a per post modules with only the positive option. If you are familiar with Obsidian (most recently made pillars of eternity) take their forum platform as an example.

Anyway,  you are overthinking this. This is not a competition, not an e-measurement of you or contributions, just a simple optional mechanic... 

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Re:
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »
The plus thing we are not really speaking about, but that there are some issues coming from the all too liberal downvoting part. I agree it is not nearly anywhere big, so that it is utterly outrageous and cannot be tolerated! ..But that doesn't make it wrong to find consent about that it doesn't really work well as what it should influence (discouraging uncivilized behavior), and instead hands out slaps to usually respectable members from nothing as personal grudge, bad daily mood, or "I don't like your carriers being so big". ;)

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
Not the one true religion: Hindu
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 06:32:22 PM »
Is it just another forum error, or has Erik (or someone?) secretly disabled the Karma? If yes, I support that, and otherwise: Karma got bad Karma.(naturally)
Personally I think it would even be better to only have positive voting, but I guess that can't just be done with the forum code coming from some sort of construction kit like source or something, probably.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Not the one true religion: Hindu
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 06:54:40 PM »
Is it just another forum error, or has Erik (or someone?) secretly disabled the Karma? If yes, I support that, and otherwise: Karma got bad Karma.(naturally)
Personally I think it would even be better to only have positive voting, but I guess that can't just be done with the forum code coming from some sort of construction kit like source or something, probably.

It was the spoilers.

If there is a way to turn on just good karma, I will.

Offline Mor (OP)

• Commander
Re:
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 07:29:53 PM »
How did we get from people not liking to get smitten to Hinduism. Also as for kits you might be able to find something here, they appear to have a larger (but maybe not as outrageous) selection than our smitten kitty sex toy shop.

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
Re:
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 07:35:35 PM »
To be honest, I never really took too much notice of the karma ratings so that goes to show that at least some people wont instantly judge you based on a virtual statistic under your avatar.  :P

I've seen some forums which allow you to "thumbs-up" specific posts, so then both the author and other people can clearly see what you are applauding them for - in fact a friend of mine was running a forum which had a mod/plugin which did just that, but I can't seem to find that mod anymore (fairly sure he was using smf as well).

Offline Mor (OP)

• Commander
Re:
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 08:24:46 PM »
Some? I'd argue that MOST people have never looked at the profile Karma or simply judged it useless, but I agree the per post thumbs up system has proven useful.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re:
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 08:25:06 PM »
I think that makes more sense, an individual users ups/downs is really just a popularity contest, but allowing individual posts to be "supported" gives insight into what the community finds interesting, helpful, insightful, funny. Important in some way.
I still assume that it would mostly just be used by people up voting new version releases or supporting suggestions they agree with.
Btw I have over 9000 points on social network site!
My virtual internet points are popular and my opinions are memetic.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:32:23 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
Re:
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 10:04:51 PM »
I did find a per post karma mod. It still requires karma to be on. I changed it to total karma.

The per post applauds/smites do count on the personal karma though.

The only other karma mods I found that I liked were 4+ years old since last update, so I passed.

The following users thanked this post: MarcAFK, AL

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
Re:
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 10:40:09 PM »
Seems to be working so far  :P

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re:
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 11:13:27 PM »
The only option is for saying thanks, which go towards your total thankedness, but tgeres no applauding of individual posts as I had hoped :( .
Or I should say it currently diesnt work? I see 2 people have applauded but the number is still 0.
Still I guess that's effective as long as tge list of thankers don't get too spammy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:16:04 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
Re:
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 11:15:42 PM »
the applaud post requires karma on. Thanks doesn't..