Author Topic: More slipways vs more yards  (Read 1235 times)

Online vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
More slipways vs more yards
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:34:25 AM »
Hey,

If you don't take into account the initial cost of having an extra shipyard, and that's an hefty cost at start, but much less of a problem when your nation develops... what would be the benefits of having x slipways for a given shipyard versus having 1 slipway for x shipyards?

On the other hand, having a single slipway per shipyard means:
- faster growth of the SY
- less problem in class retooling
- as the SY output is strictly linear to its size, a SY with a single slipway but twice the size of a SY with 2 slipways will produce as much ship.

So really, I'm considering revising my policy of having 2 slipways per shipyards.

The drawbacks:
Bigger initial cost, as you need more SY
More interrupts, as unless you synch SY, you get more often single ship out of the docks, and no batch.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
Re: More slipways vs more yards
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »
Good topic.

I would include a third category, and that is building ship components with industry in order to speed construction.

Some advantages to multiple slipways:  It costs less resources to add extra ship construction capacity, and more importantly, it costs less production.  You can add slipways while ships are being built.  If you want to build a lot of ships of a particular class, it is a lot faster to get a shipyard up to size, and then add slipways once you have tooled it to the ship in question.

However, if you have the time to build more shipyards, you will be a lot more flexible, and be able to refit ships a lot more readily as well as you will be able to tweak the tooling of your shipyards more precisely.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »
I would have thought the biggest cost for having more shipyards is opportunity cost. Every extra shipyard takes industry time, which could be used to produce factories/mines/research centers etc. Adding slipways only costs minerals and wealth.

The same holds true of building ship components.

Now, in the mid game this situation changes somewhat as minerals/wealth/population becomes more of a limiting factor. But in the early game opportunity cost of what else your production time could be used for is an important factor.   

Iranon

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »
Multiple slipways in one shipyard are more population-efficient.