Author Topic: What kind of processor/gaming rig is best for Aurora?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Automatedminion (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • A
What kind of processor/gaming rig is best for Aurora?
« on: June 16, 2013, 06:58:54 PM »
Any advice, for someone looking for a new computer?  (I hope this is the right forum for this thread. )

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: What kind of processor/gaming rig is best for Aurora?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »
Probably Off topic is best :)

As for specs... As much ram as you can get. and lots of screen real estate. Dual monitors rock for Aurora. Beyond that, it's really up to you.

Offline niflheimr

• Lieutenant
  • n
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:37:57 AM »
A ssd will help a bit with processing times for big empires .

CPU wise , though I'm an AMD fan , you're going to get a lot more performance for aurora with an Intel - A 4770k +  decent mobo can be had for about 650-700$ .

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:09:46 AM »
I´ll second Erik´s advice re. monitor real estate.

I am playing Aurore pretty much from the get-go with a dual monitor setup (am still considering upgrading to a three screen setup)

Just be warned!

Recently, I tried to play on my one-screen laptop. 
Forget it.
Once you get used to the dual screen config, playing on a single screen becomes nearly impossible  :).
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »
Monitor space is the biggest factor as mentioned.  Also, it doesn't matter how fast your rig is, get used to waiting for aurora to process.

Disk speed doesn't seem to matter much.  I put the entire aurora folder into a ramdrive once for testing and it made a negligible difference.  Visual Basic and Microsoft Access do not a speedy game make.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
Disk speed doesn't seem to matter much.  I put the entire aurora folder into a ramdrive once for testing and it made a negligible difference.  Visual Basic and Microsoft Access do not a speedy game make.

This is as expected, since ~5 years ago or so Steve went through and changed the time-stepping routines to work off of in-memory objects.  So the only disk I/o is at the beginning and end of the time step.

John

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:48:41 AM »
When I recently upgraded my desktop the single greatest factor I could manipulate for overall Aurora performance was my hard drive.  I have a newer i5 system with 4gb of ram.  Adding additional 4gb ram made no measurable difference in my Aurora performance.  This was measured by creating a stock new game and running auto-turns and measuring the speed it took to process an arbitrary number of turns.  The installation of an SSD greatly improved my test runs.  So I went overkill and set up a striped SSD boot drive that I run Aurora from.

When I created my new game I duplicated the database.  With each test I deleted the updated and copied in the original database with my stock game to try and get as similar of a test as possible.  Thanks to RNG no test can be identical, but half a dozen tests and the results were pretty consistent. 

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 04:26:02 AM »
As for specs... As much ram as you can get. and lots of screen real estate. Dual monitors rock for Aurora. Beyond that, it's really up to you.
Screens are so cheap today that I would easily advice getting 3 of them if your investing in a new computer anyways. I am considering getting a fourth just to be able to have system and galaxy map open on one each :)