Author Topic: New community game  (Read 20350 times)

Offline Panopticon (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: New community game
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2014, 10:50:08 AM »
On the homeworld front, the geo survey status of all the planets was completed back when Earth was still habitable and is public knowledge, the moons however have only been surveyed through Jupiter, and no one knows what is on the asteroid belts or the comets, additionally Sol was much more heavily colonized int he past than it is now, so previously surveyed bodies who may not have any more minerals to find, could have ruins. Whether or not the possibility of ruins is something you want to risk conflict over is of course up to you.

Offline Stardust

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »
Would it be possible to do this? Technically, yes, as far as I understand the forum system we're on. It would be a terrible idea, though, because that would open the door to unfair play (not that I seriously think anyone would do this) and kind of goes against the point of having private forums in the first place.

I would think that giving non-participants read only access would prevent unfair play for the most part and make the fiction much more interesting for us spectators.  Of course, access wouldn't be granted until the player pool is stable.

No biggie.  I'm looking forward to it either way.  Good luck.

Offline Panopticon (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2014, 11:35:03 AM »
Earlier someone floated the idea of readers being to sign on with a faction as a non participation observer, I could get behind that, though honestly I don't much care how we handle observers anyway, giving everyone except the players read only access to all three faction forums might be a bit hard to do but I don't know much about the forum software.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2014, 12:39:46 PM »
Right now the three subforums of the game are behind group protection. You need to be a member of said group to even see the forum. This forum is visible to all (I hope), and can be used as the public viewing area.

Offline Gidoran

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2014, 01:09:10 PM »
I would think that giving non-participants read only access would prevent unfair play for the most part and make the fiction much more interesting for us spectators.  Of course, access wouldn't be granted until the player pool is stable.

No biggie.  I'm looking forward to it either way.  Good luck.

Right now the three subforums of the game are behind group protection. You need to be a member of said group to even see the forum. This forum is visible to all (I hope), and can be used as the public viewing area.

If Erik sets the forums to be publicly read-only, but privately limited, then each group would be able to see the other groups just by signing out, assuming it's even possible to do that. Signing on to a single faction as a non-participating observer would be about the only way to semi-fairly do that kind of stuff, and it would be only for one faction.
"Orbital bombardment solves a myriad of issues permanently. This is sometimes undesirable."
- Secretary General Orlov of the Triumvirate of Venus

Offline Panopticon (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2014, 05:54:43 PM »
Known survey status of the system is posted in a publicly available topic, players I have given you guys your starting scientists in the appropriate threads in your own forums, currently all installations are still at default numbers, I will change them based on the latest available information tomorrow night.

Offline sonofliberty

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2014, 09:14:38 AM »
I would also be interested in reading the private forums. However, if opsec is a major concern for the players I completely understand. That being said, I would like to sign up for read only access to the private forums if the players have no objections. Thanks.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »
Read only isn't important. It wouldn't bother me if a spectator had write access and stopped to ask a question or leave a comment. In fact, if we had spectators we probably would create a question/answer thread for that purpose. However opsec is a major concern for all of us. If any of us ever thought information was leaking to another faction then long term planning would vanish into the background of private messages, which would diminish the value of making the faction forums public after the game ends.

So far none of the participants have objected to allowing spectators to sign on as observers to a single faction. Soneofliberty, Stardust, do you have any preference on who to watch or are y'all okay with a random assignment? Or would either of you prefer to be equally uninformed about every faction's backroom planning?

Offline sonofliberty

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • s
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »
I am very interested in reading all three, but please give all players time to comment on their desire to have spectators reading over their shoulder. I am really interested in how others play this great game, and look forward to learning from them.

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »
I am not bothered by spectators but yeah the idea of anything in our forums getting back to any of the other factions really doesn't sit well with me and if it happens it will render the entire point of the forums moot.

On a different note, Panopticon, how close is everything to starting? Are we still waiting on things to be finished? The start is by far the longest part of Aurora.

Offline Panopticon (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2014, 04:18:37 PM »
Man, startup is hella annoying. Everyone has been wonderful getting their info in, but component and ship design for three factions is a huge pain in the ass, getting the system surveyed the way i wanted to was annoying as well, but changes to one factions system knowledge undoing all the others, for reasons that are unclear to me. Currently I am wrestling with the component design and an overflow error when I design a turret with a single small laser in it. I hope to advance time tomorrow and get this show on the road, but if the error is unresolvable I might have to figure out some workaround or restart from scratch.

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2014, 06:04:16 PM »
Man, startup is hella annoying. Everyone has been wonderful getting their info in, but component and ship design for three factions is a huge pain in the ass, getting the system surveyed the way i wanted to was annoying as well, but changes to one factions system knowledge undoing all the others, for reasons that are unclear to me. Currently I am wrestling with the component design and an overflow error when I design a turret with a single small laser in it. I hope to advance time tomorrow and get this show on the road, but if the error is unresolvable I might have to figure out some workaround or restart from scratch.
Yeah it is. I hope that it gets resolved too. Maybe Erik can help you with it?

Offline hyramgraff

• Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2014, 12:37:38 PM »
Quote from: hyramgraff link=topic=6917. msg70941#msg70941 date=1396362579
I'm interested in watching but I don't think I have enough time to commit to playing. 

I think I'll upgrade my interest level to being a single faction observer.   Are any of the glorious factions of Sol interested in conscripting me?

Offline Panopticon (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • P
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »
My problems are resolved, the overflow error remains unexplained but I got the tech figured out anyway, time will advance today.

Offline Gidoran

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
My problems are resolved, the overflow error remains unexplained but I got the tech figured out anyway, time will advance today.

Good to hear! Hopefully everyone's managed to get their stuff in order in time. Triumvirate did, at least (I hope).
"Orbital bombardment solves a myriad of issues permanently. This is sometimes undesirable."
- Secretary General Orlov of the Triumvirate of Venus