Author Topic: Newbie Question - Skill Increases  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Havan_IronOak (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Newbie Question - Skill Increases
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »
I have two questions regarding skill increases.

1) I notice that if one individual on a geo-survey team gets a skill increase, it seems they all do. Is that correct?
I do kind of like the idea and it would make certain that having folks employed would increase their chance of a skill increase.

2) I've seen scientists get skill increases even when not employed in research. Can anyone confirm that being employed in research increases the likelihood of an increase?

I'm working to improve the wiki and I'd like to incorporate that information if it's correct.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline Mor

• Commander
Re: Newbie Question - Skill Increases
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 04:17:03 AM »
1. I don't think so. The team rating is the sum or all its members, so maybe this what you have observed?
2. No. As far as I know, scientist only gain bonuses when they are actively employed on a research project. Which why its always good to train a sub scientist along with your main one.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:26:25 AM »
1. I don't think so. The team rating is the sum or all its members, so maybe this what you have observed?
2. No. As far as I know, scientist only gain bonuses when they are actively employed on a research project. Which why its always good to train a sub scientist along with your main one.
#2 is incorrect. I'm not sure of the exact wording but it is along the lines of "Although not currently engaged in a research project, Scientist Elmo the Muppet has increased his skill to 10%"

The following users thanked this post: Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »
#2 is incorrect. I'm not sure of the exact wording but it is along the lines of "Although not currently engaged in a research project, Scientist Elmo the Muppet has increased his skill to 10%"

Understood. I'm still a rookie but I've personally seen unemployed scientists get skill increases. I do wonder though if there's anything to the "common knowledge" that being employed increases the likelihood of an increase. 
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:34:56 AM »
Understood. I'm still a rookie but I've personally seen unemployed scientists get skill increases. I do wonder though if there's anything to the "common knowledge" that being employed increases the likelihood of an increase.

Anecdotally, I've seen more scientists getting skill ups, both administrative and research while actively researching. But that also could be me remembering them more because the names are more familiar.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:42:05 PM »
Is it the same check only worded differently based on their situation or two different checks? I'd expect that any leader might get a random bonus increase once in a while, but those who are actively engaged in research should get have an increased chance to improve their stat in their respective field of research.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 12:35:00 AM »
The whole geo-survey team increases in skill level by 1% when that event occurs.  I've seen it happen countless times.  I pretty much also think that discovering a jump point can trigger (or always triggers) a skill increase by the surveying CO.  I believe this may be true also of officers doing orbital geo surveys.  But the BuSurvey officers from time to time get boosts from surveying.

There is a clear trend that scientist who are employed increase their skills significantly faster than those not employed.  Only Steve can confirm the mechanics though.

I look every 6 months at all my officers training increases but have never paid sufficient attention to do a systematic statistical analysis on what I see.

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 02:23:56 AM »
Just an update...  I spent some considerable down time tied to my desk and decided to run an experiment on the success rate of Ground based Geology teams.  Almost always all members got skill increases at the same time but sometimes only 1 got the bump. Not sure why.

Sample size was over 100 geo-surveys

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 03:35:51 AM »
Because it's partly random :)

Also, on the scientist thing, I don't have a link but I remember back when Steve added the scientists getting bumps when not assigned a project(it wasn't always thus) it was stated the chance of this was considerably less than when they were employed. 

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 04:40:47 AM »
Almost always all members got skill increases at the same time but sometimes only 1 got the bump. Not sure why.
That actually make sense, upon a successful completion of a survey each team member get a chance (roll) to gain a skill bump.

Also, on the scientist thing, I don't have a link but I remember back when Steve added the scientists getting bumps when not assigned a project(it wasn't always thus) it was stated the chance of this was considerably less than when they were employed.
It must be very small, it might be of use for people who got unlucky start, but in my game once I got my main\backup scientist I completely ignored the Academia.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 06:01:21 AM »
Just an update...  I spent some considerable down time tied to my desk and decided to run an experiment on the success rate of Ground based Geology teams.  Almost always all members got skill increases at the same time but sometimes only 1 got the bump. Not sure why.

Sample size was over 100 geo-surveys

The increase of one only was a random skill increase of that officer, that is likely a 5% increase.  When the team gets the increase all members of the team get a 1% skill increase.