Author Topic: Yet more questions I'm afraid  (Read 1723 times)

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
Yet more questions I'm afraid
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:08:45 AM »
Ok, starting with one that I'm thinking is really dumb and me just being blind - how do you scrap ships and when you do scrap a ship is it just minerals you get back or can you select to keep certain components?

I was looking at making use of commercial shipping to move colonists around but can't see colonists as an option in the supply and demand set up on the commercial contracts tab. Is there a way to do this?

Final one, I've come across a few wrecks, is it possible to tug these things back to a shipyard to be scrapped rather than move a salvage ship out to them?

Offline oleg

• Petty Officer
Re: Yet more questions I'm afraid
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:39:37 AM »
Scrapping
1) Move your ship to a colony with a shipyard.
2) Select that colony and go to the manage shipyard tab
3) Look at the lower half of your screen for the create task section and select "scrap" the other parts of scrapping ships are selfexplanatory

Moving colonist,
a) Create either a ship with cryo modules or luxury passenger accomodation. As a result you use specific order types.
b) go to the civilian ind status tab of your colony and set it as destination of colonist. This will trigger commercial colonist movements.

Wrecks
I normally build a salvage ship for wreck salvaging. No idea about tugging them.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:15:58 AM »
Moving colonist,
a) Create either a ship with cryo modules or luxury passenger accomodation. As a result you use specific order types.
b) go to the civilian ind status tab of your colony and set it as destination of colonist. This will trigger commercial colonist movements.

You need to have either infrastructure or colonists on a target colony in order for the civie sector to start sending ships there.  Once you do, the civie shipping lines will send both freighters (containing infrastructure) or colony ships (with colonists) automagically.  In order for the civie lines to do this, however, they need to have built the appropriate types of ships.  They can only buy a ship if you've designed one, which is why oleg said to design one (on the F5 screen).  Make sure you have a design available with cryo modules - luxury accomodations are more for wealth generation than for moving people around.

On wrecks, no you can't tow them IIRC.

On scrapping, no you can't save components IIRC.

John

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
I don't know if you can select which component to save, but I'm pretty sure you do save them. I think you just get back whatever you can.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »
Components are returned on scrapping, but it is random to which I believe.

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:33:50 AM »
ThanksFor the replies. Scrapped a few ships last night and am pretty sure I got all of the components back plus a few mins to boot.

On the colonisation side my issue was that I have two colonies that are currently getting colonists from the commercial colony ships. I only want one of them to be growing at the moment but could not see anything on the commercial tab to make a colony neither a destination or a source of colonists.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 08:06:53 AM »
On the colonisation side my issue was that I have two colonies that are currently getting colonists from the commercial colony ships. I only want one of them to be growing at the moment but could not see anything on the commercial tab to make a colony neither a destination or a source of colonists.

That's because it doesn't exist.  In fact, it's even worse (unless Steve has changed the DB recently) - if a population is below 25 million, then it will ignore any attempts to set it as a source (rather than a destination).  You can check if this is still the case by clicking "source" on the tab for a small colony, then closing F2 and looking at it in the tab again.  If the feature is still in place, then the radio button will have magically set itself back to "destination".

Basically, those pesky civilians will settle where they want to, even if you tell them not to.  The only control you have is whether or not to populate a colony in the first place.

John