Author Topic: Towing?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
Towing?
« on: September 18, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »
I'm trying to tow a disabled ship (out of fuel).   My tug connects the tractor beam to the disabled ship X, and that ship now appears in the tug's task force as "linked with. . . "  Then I give the tug task group a move order, but the events menu says "Ship X has insufficient fuel to complete move order. "  Shouldn't the tug be able to pull it regardless of X's fuel?  Any ideas what is going on?

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
Re: Towing?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:53:16 AM »
I'm trying to tow a disabled ship (out of fuel).   My tug connects the tractor beam to the disabled ship X, and that ship now appears in the tug's task force as "linked with. . . "  Then I give the tug task group a move order, but the events menu says "Ship X has insufficient fuel to complete move order. "  Shouldn't the tug be able to pull it regardless of X's fuel?  Any ideas what is going on?
Yeah, the game will still assume that the towed ship tries to move with its own power. Since no fuel provides that power, the ship cant move (or more precisely cannot be moved).

If the ship simply does not have any fuel left, but still has intact fuel tanks, you can manually transfer some fuel on the misc tab of the individual ship screen. Or alternatively, you can “equalize” fuel on the task group window.

However if the disabled ship does not have any fuel tanks left, the situation is more complicated. In this case you could either send a carrier with sufficient hangar space to pick it up (if you have such a large carrier anyway). Otherwise, something that could maybe work is to apply manual damage to all engines so that the ship will not even “try” to move. In this case it should be towable. Also have you tried marking the tug as a “tanker” on the design window?

Lastly, I personally consider this a bit of a design oversight, so in my book its fair to SM and repair the fuel tank.

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 08:19:44 AM »
Yeah, it's a destroyed fuel tank.  Maddening.  Applying manual damage did the job, thanks. 

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:50:31 AM »
Lastly, I personally consider this a bit of a design oversight, so in my book its fair to SM and repair the fuel tank.

Yep, this is EXACTLY the kind of "oops" that SM mode is designed to let you fix on your own.

John