Author Topic: Effects of mineral shortages  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
Effects of mineral shortages
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
So my home system seems to be very short on minerals, so I'm almost always running a deficit on my homeworld.   I'm wondering about how the mechanics of industry interact with shortages:

- Let's say I'm completely out of duranium, which I need for a project.   Does the game reach the 5-day construction tick, check for minerals, and my industry devoted to that project just does nothing?
- Now let's say I've got 50 items queued up, each of which takes 2 duranium.   If I have 7 duranium stockpiled, does it make three items, or do nothing because I don't have 100?
- If a project requires duranium and mercassium, and I have plenty of duranium but no mercassium, does any work on the project get done? Or is everything at a halt until full supplies are available?
- If there isn't enough minerals for all projects, which one gets first pick at the stockpile?
- Is there a way to easily assess what I have a shortfall of?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Effects of mineral shortages
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:11:07 PM »
*does nothing
*builds 3.5
*no progress
*the one on top. I don't know how priorities work between different industry sectors.
*Eyeball the trend on your stockpile :)

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »
So my home system seems to be very short on minerals, so I'm almost always running a deficit on my homeworld.   I'm wondering about how the mechanics of industry interact with shortages:

- Let's say I'm completely out of duranium, which I need for a project.   Does the game reach the 5-day construction tick, check for minerals, and my industry devoted to that project just does nothing?
- Now let's say I've got 50 items queued up, each of which takes 2 duranium.   If I have 7 duranium stockpiled, does it make three items, or do nothing because I don't have 100?
- If a project requires duranium and mercassium, and I have plenty of duranium but no mercassium, does any work on the project get done? Or is everything at a halt until full supplies are available?
- If there isn't enough minerals for all projects, which one gets first pick at the stockpile?
- Is there a way to easily assess what I have a shortfall of?

AFAIK:
1)yes
2) 3.5 are completed
3) no work is done
4) The ones with a higher priority. If all have the same I dont know.
5) The mineral/mining overview should provide an alright overview. You are short on the minerals of which you dont have much.

Offline Zeebie (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:40:36 PM »
Thanks folks.   How does one set the priority for a project? It looks to me like the industry tab sorts projects by the percentage devoted, is that the same? And how does shipbuilding compare to industry projects for priority?

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »
Keep in mind that Aurora will build fractional amounts of just about any manufactured item but the fractional amount constructed won't always show up in the installations/supplies list.  Similar scenario as to when shipping installations that don't fully fit in a single ships cargo hold.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
I think the priority goes maintenance -> shipyards -> industry.