Author Topic: Hostile Contact(spoiler?) question  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
Hostile Contact(spoiler?) question
« on: March 23, 2015, 05:27:37 PM »
I've had contact with two hostile alien races that I've talked about in various places on the forum.  I recently had a hostile contact happen upon me at a jump point.  If it was a spoiler race of some kind I don't want to know which one or anything, but I just want to understand the mechanics of what happened.

The first two hostile races(definite NPRs) were classified as a new race immediately.  This contact was not, and Intel says it wasn't one of the previous two encountered either.  Does this mean I've definitely contacted a spoiler race, or is it possible to have a hostile NPR contact and not have it added as a new race/new contact of a previously known race? 

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Hostile Contact(spoiler?) question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »
If this were a spoiler, and I'm not saying it is or it  isn't, then this would not be the place to ask. There is a spoiler page that has all of this on it.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:40 PM »
Noted, sorry about that.  FWIW I didn't post there because 1) I've seen other topics on them here and elsewhere, and 2) if that's not what I'm dealing with, then it wouldn't be the right place to post it either :)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 12:13:36 AM »
I'm pretty sure that what I'm about to say isn't a spoiler, but in the past I'm sure I remember certain spoilers showing up as new races, I even attempted diplomatic contact with the jerks to no avail.
I have a theory ubt you'll probably find the answer in the spoiler forum.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »
Thanks.  I will just see what transpires in the game, I really don't want to know for sure what it is, so I'll avoid that subforum.  I was more curious about the 'first contact' game mechanic being different in this case. 

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 12:57:34 PM »
It possible you encountered a new (therefore unknown) ship class of a previously known race.  Also keep in mind that spotting a contact with passive sensors but not actives may not give enough info to ID the ship's race.