Author Topic: Refitting Civilian Ships  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
Refitting Civilian Ships
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:23:53 PM »
My civilian fleet is slow as mud, and i want them to go faster.
How can I refit them with stuff to make them zip around more? Is it not possible? Civilian fleets are probably my least favorite thing about this game. Please post any tips on managing them better below
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: Refitting Civilian Ships
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:20:08 PM »
Right now you cannot without using a bug.

I haven't done it but apparently you can latch onto them with a ship to ship tractor and when doing so they will become your property.  You can scrap them or delete them at that point.  For each one you trash be sure to reimburse your civs so they can replace it with a new one.

(yes it's tedious.  supposedly this will be addressed in an upcoming update)

Offline Marthnn

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:53:44 PM »
You need a ship equipped with a tractor beam. You need it to be present at the same location as the target civilian ship, probably at your capital or another populous planet.

You can then open the "individual unit detail" screen and select your tractor equipped ship (or double-click on your tractor ship in the task group screen), open the misc tab, and manually create a tractor link with any ship at the same location. The newly-tractored civilian ship then switches to your entire control in the tractor ship task group.

You're free to transfer it to a new task group, move it around, scrap it in a shipyard to recuperate ressources and components and fuel, or just delete or destroy it where it stands.

Offline Theodidactus (OP)

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »
mmiiiiiight be a teeny bit tedious to do that. I'll just let them run wild.

I haven't met any aliens yet, and things are still taking like 30 seconds an interval...I want this to be an epic game, so I fear for the future. What can I do to keep the tick rate down?
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Marthnn

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:40:59 PM »
What can I do to keep the tick rate down?

I'd say less mass drivers, less civilian contracts, less civilian ships (they move individually), less different task groups, less explored systems... My own increments are taking a while, I'll see if my buggy mineral packets forever in transit are causing this.

But really, eliminating old civilian ships isn't that tedious. You do it every 5 days and after several times there won't be that many left. Thin the herd, no need to be perfect at it. It's a once-a-game job.