Author Topic: Per class (or group of class) naming  (Read 4117 times)

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Per class (or group of class) naming
« on: October 25, 2017, 06:57:44 AM »
Is there a plan about that? Even more casual games like Distant Worlds or Stellaris finally adopted this feature. Seeing the 'Saratoga' being a colony ship always hitches me somehow  :D

The grouping is not necessarily by class, as there are too many and some can be added, but perhaps various possibilities might exist. Like

Carriers: Any ship with at least 1000t of hangars
Warship20k: would be the list of allowed names for any warship weighting 20k or more

A valid, unused name would be picked, and lists at the top would get more priority. So if Saratoga is both listed in the 2 lists and you are seeking a carrier name, then it can be picked from the first list.
Admittedly, some thoughts must be made for the system to work, but is it envisioned somehow for C# Aurora?

Offline TheRowan

• Chief Petty Officer
Re: Per class (or group of class) naming
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:55:42 AM »
To be fair, you can already do this with name lists per class. Personally I'd rather decide "Class X is a carrier, so I'll use traditional RN carrier names, but class Y is a battleship despite having hangars" than have the names assigned automatically.

That said, some sort of basic class naming scheme for NPR ships could be handy to help jog memory...

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
Go try that Class design->DAC/Rank/Info->Name type for automatic naming of new ships.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 12:32:37 AM »
Distant Worlds and Stellaris can do that because they do not go into as much detail as Aurora does when it comes to ship designing. With the amount of granularity that Aurora offers, having simplistic automatic rules like that would only backfire.

You can create non-theme classes and then rename the class to what you want, plus assign a specific theme for the individual ships that is automatically used as they are constructed. The class theme names is just a list.

And remember that you can rename practically anything except shipping lines.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 12:42:10 AM »
To be precise, the problem is not with me, the player. I can definitively name correctly my ships  ;D

The problem and issue is with the NPRs. They don't have a clue that 'Bismarck' should not be a tug but an heavy combatant (at list CA or heavier). I can understand it is tricky to code rules that are not too complex (code-wise), intelligible (for the user) while being smart enough to do the job. But I felt I had to raise the point, and Steve will decide whatever he likes, sure.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 12:44:03 AM »
Oh I see! Well, that problem doesn't really exist because enemy ships don't show up with their "real" names in your contacts, unless you use SM to make it so. So NPR "Germany" might use Bismarck as the name of a tug but you will never find out. Instead it'll show up what ever random name the Tac computer assigns to it when you first scan it.

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 12:51:30 AM »
Except ... except if I check the box 'use real names' in Tac Intel window!

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 01:57:20 AM »
Maybe it would make sense to at least have different lists for Military & Civilian ships since that is a pretty clear distinction in game as well.

I agree with the others that trying to come up with rules to decide name based on ship size / hangars or other things wouldn't make much sense though given how much freedom the designer offers.

Offline TheRowan

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:16:35 AM »
Bear in mind that the US Navy have a transport ship named Bismarck...  :P

Saying that, I would like it if each civilian line picked a name list at random and used it (with the companybname) for their  1st. So instead of Carson C1 #017, you might have the Carson Wyoming (C1).

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 06:32:24 AM »
I think Carson C1 #017 is perfectly fine. I don't want longer civilian ship names on my screen and they would anyway cycle every couple of years as ships are replaced.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 06:39:07 AM »
I think Carson C1 #017 is perfectly fine. I don't want longer civilian ship names on my screen and they would anyway cycle every couple of years as ships are replaced.

Could be a display toggle, and I do think the idea has merit since one key aspect in Aurora is to tell stories, and individual ship names certainly helps with that.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 07:17:25 AM »
To be precise, the problem is not with me, the player. I can definitively name correctly my ships  ;D

The problem and issue is with the NPRs. They don't have a clue that 'Bismarck' should not be a tug but an heavy combatant (at list CA or heavier). I can understand it is tricky to code rules that are not too complex (code-wise), intelligible (for the user) while being smart enough to do the job. But I felt I had to raise the point, and Steve will decide whatever he likes, sure.

So would the ability for you to pick an enemy class type and "Change Reporting Name" (where you type in a new name for it) fulfill your needs?  For (randomly chosen) example, the computer might have picked "Typhoon" and you might change that to "Akula".  That would be a lot more straightforward to code up.

John
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:19:06 AM by sloanjh »

Offline vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 07:46:48 AM »
Sure, that would be a good compromise indeed. Have me able to change how a class of ships (owned by NPR) get its names from would be a major advance already. Instead of manually renaming them after I figure out their class.
But that would provide me an instant extra info? If I decide all AI Battlecruisers should pick from the list of German pocket battleships... But then, is this a problem?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 07:44:05 AM »
It is giving you extra information. You now know that ship is a battlecruiser because it's been named after one.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 11:53:40 PM »
I would be happy if it randomly picked the name in the class, not just alphabetical order. I am sure that is something easy to code.